Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,943 times

Advertisements

I've seen lots of threads regarding people relocating to lackland; I'm in the same boat, moving to Lackland in May and we're looking to see where's the best place to live in the area. We have three kids (7, 4, and 1.5 year old). Looking for great schools for the kids so that's a major factor in our decision. Looking to buy, but given the current economic dilemma we're on the fence about it (if we buy looking for something in a nice/safe neighborhood for around $250K). We've heard lots of good stuff about Cibalo and Shertz (I know that's on the Randolph side, but looking at every option, how would the commute be if we opted to take that route; live in Shertz/Cibalo and commute to Lackland?). Family wants to live in an area that has stuff to do (shopping, food, etc...so no old/run down towns.)

All comments are welcome and thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 06:12 PM

237 posts, read 600,862 times
Default Lackland Commute

You may want to look in the 1604/Culebra Road area if Lackland is the daily commute.

Plenty of homes/new builds out this way and LOTS of shopping.

Great school district, too.

Look up Alama Ranch, Kallison Ranch, Stillwater, Red Bird Ranch, and others.

The school district is Northside.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:33 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
I'll second that, you won't want to commute from the Shertz/Converse area to Lackland. Basically, take 90 west to 1604 and go clockwise up until 281. Anything outside of that (or not too far inside 1604) will put you in a 25 minute commute range. I am up near Helotes and go to south Lackland everyday in 20-25 minutes. There is tons to do in the NW area (SeaWorld, Six Flags, Hill Country, etc).
And NISD is great, as is NEISD.

We've PCS'd here twice, and lived in the NW area both times.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
M2 has good advice. Due to the current housing situation, sales of houses have slowed in San Antonio, but not near as bad as other parts of the country. Unless you plan to retire in this area, you might look at renting. If you PCS in 3 years, it may be tough to sell your house.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 7,943 times
Thanks for the info; This assignment will be a 4yr tour, so gives me an additional year past the 3. I just hate to spend my money paying for someone elses house when I can be paying for my own and hopefully get my money back on a sale. It was mentioned that there's a lot of shopping in Alama, Kallison, Stillwater, etc. what type of stores? Is there a mall in the area (if so how big)?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
we just moved 4 weeks ago out to The Summit of Lost Creek --- out i-10 outside of 1604 --- there are several families that live here already and 1 that just bought a house that will be stationed/working at Lackland ---

we are still in Northside district but we are outside the city limits, so we don't pay city taxes...we have a Boerne address --- the schools are excellent --- just another thought for you...

good luck with your decision...

Old 11-12-2008, 11:01 PM

237 posts, read 600,862 times
Alamo Ranch Shopping Area

And much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,531 times
Default Westcreek is a great neighborhood close to Lackland AFB

The Villages of Westcreek is a great community that is close to Lackland AFB, downtown and the medical center. It is a great hub for any military family new to San Antonio. There are two elementary schools and one junior high that are within walking distance and actually located within the neighborhood. There are pools, outdoor activities and just too many neighborhood amenities to list.

A must see for anyone that is going to be stationed at Lackland AFB. It is a a great family oriented and military friendly community.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:35 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Hopefully the OP found a place. After all, the thread is almost 2 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio