Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times

Advertisements

Mostly people from out of town will pronounce the street

San Peedro instead of San Pedro...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Most people can't pronouce Quihi, the name of a town (if you even want to call it a town) near Hondo. Not exactly in San Antonio I know, but it is funny when I hear outsiders try to pronounce it.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default One of my Favorite Past times,

Listneing to one my many yankee friends mispronunciate Nacodoches Rd. or once even I heard--
Cheehooahooha, For Chihuahua.
This material can be quite entertaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Most people can't pronouce Quihi, the name of a town (if you even want to call it a town) near Hondo. Not exactly in San Antonio I know, but it is funny when I hear outsiders try to pronounce it.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I learned so much moving from Houston to SA. Everything here is pronounced very gringo. Blank-o, San Peh-droh, Cih-buh-lo. I like it, but I was sort of surprised, nonetheless. We have one street left in H-town that is still gringo (though dying fast) and that's San Felipe. Newcomers and latinos are calling it San Feh-leeeep-ay, which is what it looks like it should be, but true Houstonians know it's San Fill-uhh-pee.

I have a brother in law from Chicago who gets so flummoxed from all Texas' idiosyncrasies with pronunciations. He always says "BeXar....or WHATEVER..." lol I guess it's confusing to expect to silence the X when Texas has an X and it's emphasized...

Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Mostly people from out of town will pronounce the street

San Peedro instead of San Pedro...
Los Angelinos pronounce San Pedro as San Peedro.

Other names that are improperly pronounced in LA that would most certainly be pronounced properly in San Antonio are:

Los Feliz pronounced Los Feeles.

El Segundo pronounced El Se-gun-doe.

and of course Los Angeles itself.

But yet they say Rodeo Dr with Spanish twist versus rodeo as is the Livestock and Rodeo show.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:26 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
I figure it should be pronounced the way the long time locals pronounce it. Thus Llano with a hard L but Llano Estacado begins with a Y sound. I couldn't figure out where my friend was moving because it sounded like Forestville but she was saying Flores-ville. I'd always run it together so it sounded like floorsville. But I'm from SA and she's from Austin. Speaking of Aistin, I did laugh at but will respect them calling Menchaca man shack. It's hard but I'll do it.

It's obviously not just Spanish names either. A lot of German names around here are regularly butchered. When I worked at USAA I worked with areas in MA. I had to really try hard to get some of the cities right but I worked at it because it's the respectful thing to do. I've also finally figured out why so many Texas names always sound wrong when announcers say them. They over enunciate. I say San Antonio like it's one word stressing the AN but I hear it SAN (pause) antonio. San Angelo where I used it live is more slurred becoming Sunanjlo.

I'm sure every area has a lot of places others struggle to say correctly. Of course there's people who have had the correct pronunciation explained nicely who still refuse and I think that's just rude. I've had it come up with Kingsland, Burnet and Palestine with people who absolutely know better and I swear they're doing it just to be ugly.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 07-02-2014 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM

270 posts, read 592,888 times
I just pronounce everything "German like" and with all the German names in the area I'm right....most of the time. When it comes to Spanish names, I just ask my husband.

The only exception is Gruene, cause normally in German it would be pronounced Grüne, green sounds weird to me.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Listening to one my many yankee friends mispronunciate Nacodoches Rd. once even I heard--
Cheehooahooha, For Chihuahua.
This material can be quite entertaining.
Cheehooahooha ???
And here I thought only my ex pronounced it like that...

Old 07-02-2014, 05:02 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Hey, that is how we tell the locals from the furneurs!!! LOL

Old 07-02-2014, 07:17 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I figure it should be pronounced the way the long time locals pronounce it. Thus Llano with a hard L but Llano Estacado begins with a Y sound. I couldn't figure out where my friend was moving because it sounded like Forestville but she was saying Flores-ville. I'd always run it together so it sounded like floorsville. But I'm from SA and she's from Austin. Speaking of Aistin, I did laugh at but will respect them calling Menchaca man shack. It's hard but I'll do it.

It's obviously not just Spanish names either. A lot of German names around here are regularly butchered. When I worked at USAA I worked with areas in MA. I had to really try hard to get some of the cities right but I worked at it because it's the respectful thing to do. I've also finally figured out why so many Texas names always sound wrong when announcers say them. They over enunciate. I say San Antonio like it's one word stressing the AN but I hear it SAN (pause) antonio. San Angelo where I used it live is more slurred becoming Sunanjlo.

I'm sure every area has a lot of places others struggle to say correctly. Of course there's people who have had the correct pronunciation explained nicely who still refuse and I think that's just rude. I've had it come up with Kingsland, Burnet and Palestine with people who absolutely know better and I swear they're doing it just to be ugly.

Wait, the wine is actually pronounced Yah-no? Welp, I gotta go track down someone I bet in 1995 or so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio