U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 AM

14,637 posts, read 31,666,781 times

Advertisements

World War II museum set to close soon (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/World_War_II_museum_set_to_close_soon.html - broken link)

I didn't even know it existed. Too bad......according to the article it's been a "costly labor of love" for Steven Stoli. Free admission today, Veteran's Day. It's closing for good in early December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,495,736 times
I never knew it existed either, hopefully something can be done to save this small but important museum! What can we do? Isn't there some military organizations in San Antonio that will step in and help? I've sent an email to the Alamo Chapter of the Air Force Association, if anyone knows of any others that may be able to step in and prevent this, please do so!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 AM

734 posts, read 2,765,471 times
The museum in Fredericksburg is a great WWII museum. Maybe people would rather go to that one.

It is sad that this one is closing, but if they haven't advertised or been interesting enough to be spread by word of mouth then I don't know why it needs to be saved. I mean it's only 1800 sq ft and it's in a strip mall. I know it's his labor of love, but it's like any business - you need to have the right marketing and strategies to stay afloat. If a volunteer organization would like to go in and help, that would be great but I don't think it needs to be a government assistance.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,495,736 times
Turtle Mom

I wasn't advocating govt assistance; but there is a myriad of military associations out there such as the Air Force Association or the Freedom Through Vigilance Association who could help!

The Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg is nice but it is there because Nimitz was from Fredericksburg. San Antonio has a huge military population and extensive history with the armed forces, and it is a shame we don't have a larger military museum to reflect that! Other than the small ones on Lackland and Ft Sam, there is this one and a small military aviation museum at Stinson Air Field. We need more museums of history, not less!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 AM

5,637 posts, read 14,171,652 times
I never knew this one existed, either. Sadly, this is the main reason, I think, most museums don't do well--people don't know they exist.

San Antonio should have something similar to Oshkosh--SA was the cradle of aviation back in the day, yet we have nothing to show for it. An annual pilgrimage of aviation buffs SHOULD be coming to Texas, not a little airport in the middle of Wisconsin. Wisconsin (Oshkosh aviation museum) has as much aviation history as a cow's backside. Texas is where it was. Lindberg's Air Mail route from Brownsville, Earhart, Fort Sam Houston, Pancho Villa's air force, WWII aircraft factories, Kelly AF base, first black woman to fly was in Texas, Kathy Stinson, CAF, etc! We have nothing to show today....

Alas, I think the other problem is that there are too many small museum chapters here and there. SA needs to regroup and make a main museum either at Stinson or someplace where live vintage aircraft can take off without the hassles of a major airport like SAT. Again, Stinson is ideal. It needs to be hands-on, though. Kids and other volunteers will not support a museum that doesn't let them touch things.

The Fredericksburg museum is nice, but that's because it's park of the park service and they get tons of funding since there are no other little museums to compete wtih.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,426,720 times
I'd never heard of it other. Obviously if nobody knew it existed it wouldn't attract any visitors. This just proves how important marketing is. It doesn't sound like a very interesting place. A worthwhile idea, but at only 1,800 sf. (smaller than a Subway restaurant!) in a bad location it has no potential. Perhaps a new and larger location in the proposed Arts & Entertainment district could attract major donations and even help from the city. I'm always for new museums in the city, but I wouldn't consider a small collection of war memorabilia stuck in a shopping center much of a museum.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,943 posts, read 33,805,675 times
If it's where I think it is, the location of this museum is all but hidden. It's tucked into a strip center and not visible from either of the streets at its major intersection.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,911,501 times
It is a shame that it's going to close. Hopefully after this article there will be some people come forward that have the means to relocate it somewhere.
All of the branches of the Military have museums. Ft Sam has a fairly nice museum on Post. It just depends if the emphasis is on ALL branches, or just San Antonio Vets....or local family members of Vets from all over. I don't think it's clear in this article.

I agree that Nimitz is in Fredericksburg because that's where he was from. That museum has it's emphasis on his life and the Navy.

It's possible the Witte might want to expand it's interest in the local military influence in this town....which has a HUGE military history.

At least some items can be returned to family member and passed on.

I hope he finds the proper venue to transfer this wonderful collection.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,555,352 times
The fredericksberg museum has expanded alot in the last few years. It was one that started out farily small but has grown. Its in the perfect place too being Nimitz's homewtown.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM

734 posts, read 2,765,471 times
The Nimitz museum is now the National Museum of the Pacific War and holds the George Bush (Sr.) Gallery. It is very well done.

But with some organization's help, we could get a better location and more publicity for a WW museum here. For a museum to be successful though, they really need to adopt the more hands-on approach to things. Flaps to lift, buttons to push, gear to try on, planes to climb in. The old "look and see" museums are fading away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio