Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times

Advertisements

We're definitely narrowing down our target neighborhoods based on home size, lot size, age, schools, proximity to work, etc. and I'd like to hear people's preferences between kids attending Locke Hill/Rawlinson/Clark vs. Thornton/Rudder/Marshall. We have three kids, two of whom are in elementary school right now and one who will start school in a few years. My eldest is an exceptional student, very focused, loves school, always excels academically but, like other kids like her, can overwhelm herself with everything going on in her head. My younger school-ager does well in school but is closer to average academically. She is our artistic one- loves art and music. Schools that would be able to help nurture both of their strengths would naturally be ideal. We'd also like, if possible, a Brownie Girls Scout troop nearby, but that's something I can easily research on my own . So, which way would you go? And what's the better investment? Thanks again for everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 PM

89 posts, read 258,848 times
Rawlinson is a first-class school!!! That's the one I know...of the three in that grouping. You can't beat the faculty and the facilities.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
According to http://schoolperformancemaps.com/tx/

Thornton > Locke Hill in 2008, but in the previous 2 years, Locke Hill > Thornton
Rawlinson > Rudder
Clark > Marshall

Regardless of which set of schools you choose, keep in mind what the administration of NISD has said about growth. They've stated that because of their need to open so many new schools in response to growth, the average student who goes through their district from K-12 will change attendance areas at least once during their school career. That means your kids probably won't end up going to all 3 of the schools either house is zoned for.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:16 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
hello --- i can speak from experience here --- my oldest went to thornton from k-5th and to rudder for 6th --- my middle child went to thornton for kinder --- my oldest now goes to rawlinson, she is in 7th and my middle goes to aue elementary, she is in 1st grade ...

while thornton was a great school, aue elementary is exceptional and i am so very happy that we moved into the neighborhood we did --- this is only the 2nd yr aue is open and it made exemplary status in it's 1st year --- that is very hard to do --- i know you asked about lockehill, but i just thought i would give some info on aue since the area is not too far from where you are probably looking ...

as far as rudder, it is a rough school --- my daughter did well there, but only because she was in all honors class and she was in the orchestra program, so she was around other honors kids, those that she could relate too --- on our meet the teachers night there more than one teacher saw my daughters schedule and said "oh thank goodness, and honor student" --- the teachers seemed hardened there --- kind of disconnected --- it's hard to explain --- more than half of the school was on the free lunch program and there were quite a few section 8 areas that fed into the school --- the one thing i did like was the kids wore uniforms, so it cut down on the kids standing out due to what brands they did or did not wear --- my daughter however, hated the uniforms ...

fast forward 1 yr and we are now at rawlinson --- OMG --- total turn around --- the teachers are very involved with the kids, i get emails and phone calls from teachers just to keep me informed on my daughters performance --- there are many clubs for the kids to join, afterschool clubs, that is --- rudder had very few that i remember --- rawlinson is also a newer school than rudder so it is very updated and very nicely done --- all in all, i am much happier with rawlinson than i was with rudder ---

as far as marshall vs. clark, i cannot say, as i don't have any highschool aged kids --- you can always go to greatschools.net and compare the 2...

good luck with your decision --- dm if you have any more specific questions about either school or the neighborhoods around thornton/rudder, we lived there for 11yrs ---

Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Regardless of which set of schools you choose, keep in mind what the administration of NISD has said about growth. They've stated that the average student who goes through their district from K-12 will change attendance areas at least once during their school career. That means your kids probably won't end up going to all 3 of the schools either house is zoned for.
Yes, however ~ I'm thinking that the statement was mainly directed at areas that are still experiencing new growth, not so much for the more established areas. IIRC, Clark was involved with the attendance area changes when Brandeis was opened, but that was a VERY small percentage. The only schools whose boundaries are currently subject to change are those that are on the more outskirts areas.

NOT that you can ever be assured that your child WON'T be subject to any changes, I just think that the more established areas would see it MUCH less, and maybe not at all.

And OP, from everyone I've heard from whose kids have gone to Clark ~ they've been VERY satisfied. (We even have a forum member here who is a Clark graduate and now an Orthodontist, and a GREAT guy!! )

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

I guess I'm hearing what I thought I would hear, which is good in a way because Locke Hill/Rawlinson/Clark was my first instinct....but the houses in our price range in the other area are much "fancier". I try not to get suckered in by beautiful hardwood floors and granite countertops, but sometimes it's so hard to resist the siren's call!

There are a couple of well priced homes in the Woods of Shavano that are on my list, so I think I'll be focusing on that area and let the thornton/rudder area go. Middle school is a hard time for kids overall. That is especially where I want to be careful about their surroundings. Special thanks to mrstxcop- your specific experience is so very helpful, and I think I'll be taking you up on that DM offer!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I grew up in the area, been there since the early 90s (pre Wal-Mart). I went to Locke Hill, Hobby and Clark. They are all amazing schools. My little sister, who is now a senior at Clark was one of the first group of kids to go to Rawlinson from Rudder and I was in awe of the school. She loved the teachers there.

I loved Locke Hill even if it was close to 20 years ago (lol). I know my 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Stiles, is still there. She was an original teacher when the school opened!

Clark was an awesome school. The Theater department, Choir, and Strings departments are always in UIL comp. and always getting 1s. (1s are the highest scores right?).

If you have any questions about the schools feel free to DM me.

And to the OP- The Woods of Shavano is an amazing neighborhood. We lived there for 10 years and now live in Tanglewood. We would give an arm and a leg to move back to the Woods of Shavano. It's a great kids neighborhood with the pool, park, and tennis courts. Lots of families that I grew up with are still there.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 11-11-2008 at 09:29 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM

Thanks ashbeeigh - it is great to hear from someone who actually went to those schools! Getting positive parent *and* student feedback about the same schools is excellent. And I took you up on the DM offer as well. Again, everyone's help is so appreciated....and prompt as usual! This forum has been invaluable .

Old 11-12-2008, 11:40 AM

103 posts, read 489,607 times
I went to Lock Hill for K-4th, Thornton 4th-5th, Rudder and Marshall. Both elementary schools were awesome. My brother and sisters went the thornton/rudder/marshall route.
Through the years I have noticed that Thornton seems to have a very family atmosphere and the teachers are exceptionally caring. They always went the extra mile for my brothers and sisters. My little sister is at Rudder and in some kind of gifted/honors program which she loved. I have a brother and 2 cousins still at Marshall and my mother works there. So far they have not had any issues that I am aware of. You can send me a DM if you have any specific questions about the schools. I can always get some imput from my mother since shes in there day in day out.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Default clark/Rawlinson/Woods of Shavano

I went to Locke Hill, Hobby, Clark. I would have gone to Rawlinson but it was not open when I was in middle school. My younger brother went to Locke Hill/Rawlinson/Clark and is currently a Senior at Clark. I grew up in The Woods of Shavano and my parents still live there to this day. It is a great neighborhood that is really close to the very nice area of Shavano Park (which feeds into Clark/Rawlinson/Locke Hill). I grew up with several friends who went to marshall and can honetly say it is much more "rough" than Clark.... I would say if you can afford to move into the Clark district and can find a nice home in the Woods of Shavano it is by far your best bet. Good luck on the move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio