Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 AM

54 posts, read 305,555 times

Advertisements

I am surprised how expensive Dry Cleaning and laundry is in San Antonio compared to other large Texas cities. $1.25 to dry clean pants is common in Houston, but here, $3 is a deal.
Does anyone have a place they recommend that does a good job and isn't pricey? I'd prefer locations in North San Antonio, but am interested to learn if all of SATX is overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,205 times
The best deal we have found is at the $1.99 Cleaners at the Corner of Bulverde and Evans (in the same little shopping center as Walgreens and China Styx. The employees are so friendly, everything always comes back looking nice, and it has saved our wallet big time!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
I had no idea dry cleaning was so primo in SA! I can't imagine why. That being said, I've shopped dry cleaning places and I have to say that the "bargain" places have done some really awful jobs on our cleaning.

Pricing is hard because it depends on your personal items. Some offer cheap men's shirts, but women's blouses are outrageous! So you have to really look at your own personal cleaning menu and shop accordingly.

Some of the chains offer "coupons" for certain items. Slater White is one for example. Access their general web site and print out the coupon. We also used to like Dutch Boy....but we don't have a location near us now.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 AM

17 posts, read 61,269 times
Where are the $1.25 dry cleaners in Houston, the good ones anyway? I am in desperate need of one.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
I am real happy with 5 Star and there is a location on my way to work. They are very reasonable and do a great job. You can get a great deal when you print their internet coupons.
http://www.myfivestarcleaners.com/offers.html (broken link)
I used to go to Pilgrim until they were bought out by a company in Houston (interesting enough) and their prices literally doubled. Pilgrim used to lose or ruin a shirt about once a year, but would always reimburse me for the full price. Five Star has never lost or ruined shirt in the 5 or so years I have been going.

I am a suit and tie guy...so I have been taking a dry cleaning load every 2 weeks my entire adult life...so consider the above an expert opinion.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM

220 posts, read 680,882 times
Culpeppers is the best I've ever used. The cheap ones seem to do shoddy work. break buttons and tear pockets. It's worth a little extra to have a good job done right.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
How funny that this thread came up. We were SHOCKED at how expensive dry cleaning is here. Good grief!! 6 shirts came to $18 and some change! WTH?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,491 times
i used El Dorado cleaners off of potranco and i guess they spoiled me with their low prices and great work. i paid 1.29 for pants and 2.00 for shirts

Ken's cleaners off marbach is another good one (watch out for the area though), they do a lot of military stuff, and my laundered clothing came back perfect! dry cleaning was 3.00 a shirt and well done.

i tried five star cleaners off huebner (cause its near my work) they charged me 20 bucks for dry cleaning four items! 5 bucks an item! AND they broke buttons on 2 of the shirts and wouldnt' replace them! i didn't know you could break buttons that easily! i'm never going there again. i asked for an itemized reciept and it was all there, 4.99 each. 2 shirts a pant and a tie.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM

61,655 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXUsername View Post
I am surprised how expensive Dry Cleaning and laundry is in San Antonio compared to other large Texas cities. $1.25 to dry clean pants is common in Houston, but here, $3 is a deal.
Does anyone have a place they recommend that does a good job and isn't pricey? I'd prefer locations in North San Antonio, but am interested to learn if all of SATX is overpriced.
Maybe because in Houston there are cleaners on every corner ( more than Starbucks ... lol) Literally hundreds of them. I didn't see so many cleaners here in SA. Yes, and they are dirt cheap there too.
The best one IMHO is the Culpeppers but not cheap and not good for the price. Mens shirts come out with wrinkled collar (!) and cuffs. They also use to much starch, and unless you tell them to do it light , you would be walking in a cardboard. Same with pants. Stains usually stays, and you have to check on that carefully before taking your garments home.
Houston's cheaper cleaners do much better job.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM

220 posts, read 680,882 times
There is a new environmentally safe cleaner in town called Close-line Cleaners. I gave them a try yesterday and was shocked by their pricing. They charged me $75 to launder 24 shirts. They surcharge
.50 for XL and a dollar for XXL. I am surprised the don't charge extra for long sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio