Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Can I borrow one of you to come get the neck and giblets out for me?

That's the only part of the day I hate.........except for trying to clean up and keep my eyes open at the same time.

One year my sister said the turkey she got did not have the neck and giblets in it----we found it when we cut into the cooked turkey....never let her forget that one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,573 times
I made our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. BEST. DINNER. EVER. We cooked our turkey in a Charbroil infrared oil less turkey fryer. No lie, it was DEEEELIGHTFUL and the best turkey I'd ever had! No messy oil clean up, less grease, healther, and it tasted like fried turkey! Plus, hubby made a homemade cajun injection that was SO tasty! Can't wait to make another turkey now!

Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I made our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. BEST. DINNER. EVER. We cooked our turkey in a Charbroil infrared oil less turkey fryer. No lie, it was DEEEELIGHTFUL and the best turkey I'd ever had! No messy oil clean up, less grease, healther, and it tasted like fried turkey! Plus, hubby made a homemade cajun injection that was SO tasty! Can't wait to make another turkey now!
Good review!I tried to rep you but I guess it's to soon.
Your the first I know to use the new oil less fryers. I have been looking at them wondering.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,324 times
Get the smallest turkey you can find with the pop up timer, probably around 10 to 11 pounds. Buy 8 boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix. You need a turkey roaster. I got mine at Mervyn's but they are gone but not forgotten (oop's wrong thread!). Follow the directions on the box, grease the turkey roaster and bake cornbread mix till golden brown. Break up the cornbread and add celery (at least one maybe even two whole stalks) onion (two to three depending on size) and poultry seasoning and sage (to taste) and two cans of chicken broth. mix it all up make a cavity for the turkey. Bake till the pop up,pop's .

Old 11-24-2008, 04:00 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
Since you asked...we cook ours alllllll night...you wake up to the BEST smells you can imagine!!!

Here is a sample of how I cook mine...and no, after all these years NEVER given anyone food poisioning...but been asked a MILLION times about it!

Buy a 16 to 20 pound turkey. Be sure to get one that will fit into your oven. If you don't have a roasting pan, you can buy a disposable foil roasting pan in most stores. If you buy a frozen turkey, be sure to defrost it before Wednesday night! The best way to do this is to buy it on Monday and put it in your refrigerator until Wednesday (in the original wrapping). I prefer fresh, HEB has them.
On Wednesday night, prepare your turkey by removing the neck and giblets, which are wrapped inside the cavity, and wash it inside and out with water. Let it drain for a moment and then salt and pepper well, to include the inside cavity. Finally put the turkey into the roasting pan. DO NOT COVER!!!!
DO NOT STUFF YOUR TURKEY! Because of the low and slow cooking process, you will have to make your stuffing separate to ensure that there is no contamination.
Since we eat early (noonish), suggest that you cook all night as follows:

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Put your turkey in at 10:00 pm. Go to bed. Check your turkey when you get up (I get up EARLY,, but NLT 8:00 am). If you are using a meat thermometer, it should read between 190 and 195 degrees F. If you do not have a thermometer, you can tilt the pan a little and check to see if the juices run clearly out of the turkey (no red juices). If the juices are clear and the turkey is nice and brown on the outside, it is probably done. If it is not done, turn up the temperature to 350 degrees F and cook until it is done. I normally take the bird out around 9:30-10am.
Once it is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool about 15 minutes. To keep it warm, wrap it in foil.

There is NOTHING as wonderful as waking up to your turkey cooking, and this is a REALLY easy way to free up your oven for the other stuff!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,996,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Since you asked...we cook ours alllllll night...you wake up to the BEST smells you can imagine!!!

Here is a sample of how I cook mine...and no, after all these years NEVER given anyone food poisioning...but been asked a MILLION times about it!

Buy a 16 to 20 pound turkey. Be sure to get one that will fit into your oven. If you don't have a roasting pan, you can buy a disposable foil roasting pan in most stores. If you buy a frozen turkey, be sure to defrost it before Wednesday night! The best way to do this is to buy it on Monday and put it in your refrigerator until Wednesday (in the original wrapping). I prefer fresh, HEB has them.
On Wednesday night, prepare your turkey by removing the neck and giblets, which are wrapped inside the cavity, and wash it inside and out with water. Let it drain for a moment and then salt and pepper well, to include the inside cavity. Finally put the turkey into the roasting pan. DO NOT COVER!!!!
DO NOT STUFF YOUR TURKEY! Because of the low and slow cooking process, you will have to make your stuffing separate to ensure that there is no contamination.
Since we eat early (noonish), suggest that you cook all night as follows:

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F. Put your turkey in at 10:00 pm. Go to bed. Check your turkey when you get up (I get up EARLY,, but NLT 8:00 am). If you are using a meat thermometer, it should read between 190 and 195 degrees F. If you do not have a thermometer, you can tilt the pan a little and check to see if the juices run clearly out of the turkey (no red juices). If the juices are clear and the turkey is nice and brown on the outside, it is probably done. If it is not done, turn up the temperature to 350 degrees F and cook until it is done. I normally take the bird out around 9:30-10am.
Once it is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool about 15 minutes. To keep it warm, wrap it in foil.

There is NOTHING as wonderful as waking up to your turkey cooking, and this is a REALLY easy way to free up your oven for the other stuff!
I think I can smell it already!! My mom always cooked her's all night. To make sure she got up in time, she would drink a HUGE glass of water just before going to bed. Worked every time.

Thanks Paka.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
Hummm...I've updated that to a nice glass of wine (or two) the evening before...works JUST as well as a HUGE glass of water!

Funny, but my kids said that is one thing they miss MOST about Thanksgiving now that they are grown, waking up to the smell of the turkey!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:26 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,934 times
Usually we make our own, and I am making all the homemade sides but for this year we are getting our turkey from Rudys....Will let ya know how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio