Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:17 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

I envy people who have stayed in hotels downtown (for weddings, etc). I would love to stay at the Hyatt Regency or the Rivercenter Marriott, both on the Riverwalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I envy people who have stayed in hotels downtown (for weddings, etc). I would love to stay at the Hyatt Regency or the Rivercenter Marriott, both on the Riverwalk.
The downtown hotels often offer specials. Sign up for their lists and you'll get tons of offers in your mailbox.

We've only stayed in a downtown hotel once, on our wedding night because it came with the room. I wouldn't bother again, obviously, because we can walk home, but if I was coming from out of town I would definitely stay downtown, unless I had business elsewhere in town that required me to be close. It's really nice not to bother with a car, and just walk everywhere or take the trolley or bus. It's well worth it, IMO.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
can anybody tell him/her of parking garages where they don't charge by the hour.
There are no parking garages that do that downtown. Most of the garages are owned by the city or county. Surface lots have a pay-in-advance all-day rate, but most of the nearby lots will be filled with commuters on a week day.

Even paying the hourly rate to park for the day at a parking garage, the difference in hotel rates away from downtown will more than cover that difference.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:32 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,466 times
Thank you again for the great information. I will sign up (thanks Chaka)and maybe get a discount for the downtown hotels and just stay there. If not, I will take the advice of others and stay somewhere outside of downtown.

Is downtown close to the I-10? Would you suggest I stay closer to the 10 if it's not too far. Only thinking this just so in the morning we can just hop onto the freeway and start driving (half way there).
Is there an area I should "stay away" from?

You all have been so helpful. I'm sure I'll love your city!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
I-10 runs right along the west edge of downtown (after it curves to the north). So, no, it would not be out of your way to stay at a hotel downtown.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:27 PM

9 posts, read 31,670 times
parking downtown will not be that bad.
I suggest parking at the river center mall garage, you will have no problems.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 PM

80 posts, read 194,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I-10 runs right along the west edge of downtown (after it curves to the north). So, no, it would not be out of your way to stay at a hotel downtown.
Yup, downtown is surrounded by highways, so it shouldn't be too hard to find an artery out of SA once you're done with your stay here.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:08 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Yup, downtown is surrounded by highways, so it shouldn't be too hard to find an artery out of SA once you're done with your stay here.
Great. Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 06:46 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,483 times
I have stayed at the Omni La Mansion del Rio and Homeweood Suites on the river and both are very nice. I checked out a few places for you the first week of December and got prices anywhere from $60 to $2-300. I am staying at The Watermark this week with my sister so I'll see if they are offering any special rates. While gas prices are lower, thankfully, consider parking fees and commute expenses. Sometimes it's worth a little extra $ just to have the convenience of being where your activities are going to be! One thing you must do while on the Riverwalk is have a Prickly Pear Margarita (or two!) and Table-side Guacamole at Boudro's! You will not be disappointed! We have dined there a few times and quiet frankly have had better entree's elsewhere but the margaritas and guac there can't be beat IMO! We plan to hit it Tuesday! Enjoy the ambiance of the Riverwalk! It's like none other and the energy there is contagious! Also, ride the river taxi and learn the history. I get something different almost each time I ride! Also, Mi Tierra in Market Square is a favorite! Others might disagree, but as a tourist it's something to see and eat! Since becoming a resident I have found other Tex-Mex restaurants but we are always asked by guests to take them there and again, never disappointed! If it's fine dining you are looking for, may I suggest Bohannan's! Each of the places I mentioned are available fo rviewing onthe web. And do look at the website suggested for the Riverwalk. Finally, please enjoy this magnificent city and welcome to SAT!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio