Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

Was fixin' to go to bed and you guys started talking about food....great...now I'm hungry...and I just brushed my teeth.[
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
A good loaf of 100% whole wheat bread in SA costs between four and five dollars. (I know that most people in this town wouldn't touch the stuff because it has some nutritional value and fiber, but the point is that real bread does cost much more, even here.)

Old 11-17-2008, 01:05 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
A good loaf of 100% whole wheat bread in SA costs between four and five dollars. (I know that most people in this town wouldn't touch the stuff because it has some nutritional value and fiber, but the point is that real bread does cost much more, even here.)
WOW....can you NOT toss in a diss at this community every time you post? I honestly think that an addiction for you Hello. I personally frequent Broadway Daily Bread and there is usually a line out the door....especially on Saturdays. Funny how some places that sell OUT of expensive bread somehow manage to stay in business even in this lame backwards city! BDB has daily specials that vary in price....$4-$6 a full loaf...and a bit more if you want it sliced. I don't think anyone is comparing this kind of specialty bread to a $1 loaf at Walmart. We honestly do have a few smart people in San Antonio.

You might want to try the pure Flax Seed loaf ....it's good for sour stomachs.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I know that our local Sara Lee makes the bread for HEB store brands. They probably use less yeast or something. I'm not really shure if preservs can be added safely to bread.
I don't want to derail the thread from the topic of grocery prices, but here's an example of a common bread preservative.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
A good loaf of 100% whole wheat bread in SA costs between four and five dollars.
I don't know where you're shopping but you can get it at Central Market for closer to $3. In fact, most of their breads are under $4.

We usually make our own bread these days, however.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I don't know where you're shopping but you can get it at Central Market for closer to $3. In fact, most of their breads are under $4.

We usually make our own bread these days, however.
Excellent point about whole wheat at Central Market...and of course homemade is da bomb! Yum! With the awesome breadmakers out there is also relatively easy now. As far as price though, I don't find it too cost effective to make my own....especially the specialty breads. Buying special ingredients that I don't need daily isn't practical for the amount of bread we consume. I also like BDB because they make 1/2 loaves of their specialty breads which is more than enough for our needs.

BTW - their Birdman Spelt bread is unbelievable....but I could never make it like they do. I think it's their most popular loaf.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Excellent point about whole wheat at Central Market...and of course homemade is da bomb! Yum! With the awesome breadmakers out there is also relatively easy now. As far as price though, I don't find it too cost effective to make my own....especially the specialty breads. Buying special ingredients that I don't need daily isn't practical for the amount of bread we consume. I also like BDB because they make 1/2 loaves of their specialty breads which is more than enough for our needs.

BTW - their Birdman Spelt bread is unbelievable....but I could never make it like they do. I think it's their most popular loaf.
Part of the reason we make our own bread is because most of the pre-made stuff is sweet, Not sweet as in cake sweet, but it still has sugar. Very few breads with no sugar at all and no added ingredients. I know that spelt bread from Broadway Daily and it's too sweet for us!

We don't have a bread maker, tho we do have a kitchen aid mixer which is very helpful in preparation. We don't add a lot of stuff to our bread, just flour (whole wheat or spelt), water, salt, yeast. We're big bread eaters, so it's worth it for us.

In an effort at full disclosure, I should say my husband makes 99% of the bread we consume.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
I totally agree with the article. Compared to the northwest, everything at the store is cheaper here except for milk. I appreciate the ~15% difference every week when I buy food!

My guess as to the reason is that the minimum wage here is lower than there ($8.07/hr). Lots of people are involved with food I buy before I hit the self-check out line, and any of them that make less than 8.07 an hour would be paid more. And where does the money to pay for that come from...? Add it on to the price of everything at the store.

Of course if all of the checkers, stockers, ... make more than 8.07 an hour here anyway my hypothesis is no good.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: personal attack Can you please enlighten us to why you think that people in San Antonio don't eat this bread?

Last edited by Bo; 11-17-2008 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Referring to someone as a troll is a personal attack. Don't do it.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:35 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
We honestly do have a few smart people in San Antonio.
I agree I would argue that the Broadway/Alamo Heights crowd does not comprise the average San Antonian, however. I get 100% whole grain at Great Harvest on NW Military on occasion, and it's $5-6 depending. You know it's good for you when you could do bicep curls with only two loaves in the bag. Remember that "whole wheat" (that deceivingly still contains mostly white flour) and "100% whole wheat" are two entirely different things, and in two completely different price ranges. When I checked, Central Market didn't make ANY bread that was 100% whole grain because the sheeple won't buy enough of it (because it's hard and rough). However, yeah, you can get 100% whole wheat Pepperidge Farms or something half-stale like that for a little less. But like I've said in other posts, people here won't pay 25% more for something that is 200% better. It's all about price, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio