Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Owl Owl started this thread

112 posts, read 555,851 times

Advertisements

Yesterday morning a steady peep began in our house. The perp of this peep may or may be in the attic, or in the chimney. I can't tell, because our house has high ceilings that give our home the acoustics of an ancient Greek theater. You can whisper and sounds ricochet all over the place. And yet...my husband seems unable to hear me.

Anyway, I opened the chimney flu, but the bird didn't sound like it was peeping from there. (We do have the proper little cap on the chimney, too, so who knows how the creature entered?) We can't get into this area of the attic to investigate, due to different reasons.

I feel sorry for this bird. But I feel sorry for me, too. The bird commences it's peeping around 3:45 a.m. and doesn't shut up until early evening.

Does anyone know How long would it take this bird to die if it doesn't get food?

Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 01:30 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,200 times
Maybe try calling Wildlife Rescue and see if they can give you any hints.
I didn't think there were any baby birds still around.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:53 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
Check your garage...that would seem much more logical than actually in the attic...maybe he flew in there if you have an attached garage when the door was open. If so, easy fix...just leave the door open a while and he will probably fly back out.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks for your responses and advice, Catriona and Paka. The peeper just stopped a few minutes ago--same as yesterday. Paka, we had our garage door open all day, as a matter of fact, while my husband did stuff. It really does sound like it is somewhere in the attic. We've got two separate attics, and the entrance to the one I think the bird's in is blocked behind bookshelves. so (sigh) I'll have to take down all the books and move the shelves, I guess. Calling wild life rescue for info sounds like a good idea, Catriona. I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times
When we moved into our house (was empty for about 5 months), I started hearing chirping of baby birds in our utility room. Found the nest in the fan vent to outside. The mother bird was able to pop open the little vent door to get inside (I have since put a screen over the vent door).

Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
When we moved into our house (was empty for about 5 months), I started hearing chirping of baby birds in our utility room. Found the nest in the fan vent to outside. The mother bird was able to pop open the little vent door to get inside (I have since put a screen over the vent door).
This also happened to a neighbor. Exact same thing. Owl...I hope you can find it and somehow relocate it safely. Not only for humane reasons, but it would not be pleasant to have it die in your attic.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Thanks for your responses. But I realize that in the grand scheme of things, a peeping bird is not high on most people's lists, so I'm not going to post about this again. I just wanted to say "thanks" from me...and the bird. I may have heard The Last Peep--though I don't know what this means. Yesterday I was gone all day, and didn't return until the evening, which is post-peep time on the bird's previous schedule. This morning, early, there were a few peeps; then, silence. Did the bird leave? Or, did something "darker" occur? I'm hoping the best for this bird.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,059 times
what did wildlife rescue say when you called on Monday?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,989,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
Thanks for your responses. But I realize that in the grand scheme of things, a peeping bird is not high on most people's lists, so I'm not going to post about this again. I just wanted to say "thanks" from me...and the bird. I may have heard The Last Peep--though I don't know what this means. Yesterday I was gone all day, and didn't return until the evening, which is post-peep time on the bird's previous schedule. This morning, early, there were a few peeps; then, silence. Did the bird leave? Or, did something "darker" occur? I'm hoping the best for this bird.
It's a nice change. Better than reading about all the same thing all the time ( sorry posters, but some of it does get old) and besides, some of us are bird lovers.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
It's a nice change. Better than reading about all the same thing all the time ( sorry posters, but some of it does get old) and besides, some of us are bird lovers.
Good point Camper! Yes...let's save this little bird instead of talking about traffic! (Just kidding Owl....you said you weren't going to post anymore...I'll respect that.) Here's to thinking that last peep was a little "goodbye" as it flew the coop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio