Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
There are a lot of good hole-in-the-wall restaurants run by Italian Americans. They tend to focus on the more traditional like pizza, spaghetti, salads, sandwiches, etc.
Capparelli's Pizza & Italian. Went to the one on Huebner and Babcock last night. Had some very good eggplant parmesan with rigatoni. Pasta was cooked perfectly, too many places overcook there pasta into gummy much. And the eggplant was pan fried nice and crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. And their piping hot buttered bread soaked up the red sauce wonderfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:08 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who recommended Little Italy....

I went there tonight, took my best friend out for her birthday.

Wow! Amazing stuff! Definitely get the garlic bread!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm not a native NYer or Italian....but I agree with this post 100%. Sicilian is completely different from Northern Italy vs... yadda yadda. All yummy....but it's hard to really say what's authentic....unless one is referring to a specific region there.

Mojokitty...since your family is Italian....I would love your take on Piatti's. It's a mom and pop in the Quarry....and one of my favs. It's not on the level of Paesano's, but other than the Shrimp Paesano, I'm not a huge fan of any of their three locations in town. They are good...but IMO just a little overrated and on the expensive side. Piatti's has nice ambiance, but a bit more of a trattoria feel....but not too casual. Just not the ristorante type of restaurant that some of the expensive places are. If you haven't been....let me know if you ever try it. I'd love for someone who knows "Italy" to critique it!
Wcat,
I completey agree. I know people who rave about Paesano's, but for me it is okay Italian food that is woefully over-priced.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 AM

154 posts, read 631,005 times
We were watching the food network last night, and hubby was waxing nostalgic about a traditional southern Italian dish, I forget the name. His Nona used to make it for him. It's spicy, involves a sheep head, and you eat the eyeball as well as the brains and all. :-O

Not sure if San Antonio is ready for THAT brand of REAL Italian!! Ack!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
We were watching the food network last night, and hubby was waxing nostalgic about a traditional southern Italian dish, I forget the name. His Nona used to make it for him. It's spicy, involves a sheep head, and you eat the eyeball as well as the brains and all. :-O

Not sure if San Antonio is ready for THAT brand of REAL Italian!! Ack!
Well, we eat Menudo which is the lining of a cow's stomach, so maybe it's not such a stretch.

My Mexican grandmother was fond of eating ALL parts of the animal's body, eyeballs and all. Nothing left to waste. I never went that far, but for me, when I want comfort food, I crave menudo.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:13 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
For Authentic Mediterranian Italian Food....go to Grissini's. For traditional italian American food, go to Stephanine's or La Foccacia's.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM

358 posts, read 821,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Capparelli's Pizza & Italian. Went to the one on Huebner and Babcock last night. Had some very good eggplant parmesan with rigatoni. Pasta was cooked perfectly, too many places overcook there pasta into gummy much. And the eggplant was pan fried nice and crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. And their piping hot buttered bread soaked up the red sauce wonderfully.
Yeah - Capparelli's is good...and cheap. Their cousin owns Lorenzo's on Fredericksburg near Medical. It's pretty good, too. Your basic mom and pop
Italian.

Still, our favorite is Sorrento's.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
MKitty...Piatti's has a spinach ravioli with a creamy lemon sauce! I'm not a ravioli fan, but this had no meat...it was packed with a spinach and cheese filling and the sauce was so light and complimented it perfectly! I LOVE finding a new dish that I've never tried before. It was a great summer type of pasta and awesome with white wine. I haven't had a bad meal there yet....and the price tag is not sticker shock to give you heartburn afterwards.
I love the spinach ravioli from Piatti's too!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I love the spinach ravioli from Piatti's too!
I tried it a couple weeks ago, and I was savoring every bite! They sat us in the back room near the fireplace...it was a nice cozy setting.

By the way...I know Olive Garden stinks, but they always seem to have the BEST and friendliest servers. Olive Garden goes out of it's way to train their servers.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:55 PM

358 posts, read 821,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I tried it a couple weeks ago, and I was savoring every bite! They sat us in the back room near the fireplace...it was a nice cozy setting.

By the way...I know Olive Garden stinks, but they always seem to have the BEST and friendliest servers. Olive Garden goes out of it's way to train their servers.
I don't think Olive Garden stinks. It's not my first choice, but their breadsticks are very good, so is their salad and soup. Even their meat sauce, meatballs and sausage are pretty good. When they have that never-ending pasta bowl and I'm hungry...watch out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio