Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM

165 posts, read 463,924 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to San Antonio next month (December). We are looking for a house to rent in a good neighborhood. My husband will be stationed at Lackland so we are looking to the NW side of town. We get daily updates of houses coming available for rent. I was hoping you all could offer some guidance as to some subdivisions in that area.

Of the available houses we receive we see a TON that are listed in Westcreek (the Bluffs/Gardens/Oaks/Wynwood/Villas/Vistas/Woods/Highpoint).

Are any of the Westcreek villages better/worse than any of the others or are they all the same?? What are some of the advantages or disadvantages of Westcreek?

We've also seen some houses we like in Amhurst, Sonoma Ranch, Wildhorse, Silver Oaks. (Note we "like" them from what we can see in the online write-up....we haven't actually SEEN any houses yet.)

I'd love any opinions you can offer about ANY of these areas...good or bad! We have a young son and our primary concern is for a quality neighborhood.

Thank you in advance for ANY information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
We live in Wildhorse and have an elementary school a few blocks from our house. This is the second time we've lived in this area, last time we were stationed here we lived about a mile east of our current house, inside 1604 off of New Guilbeau.

There are a ton of NISD schools in this area, we can see another elementary school when we walk to the one our youngest goes to. There is a middle school right next to it, where our oldest goes.

A good realtor would help, we had a great one the second time we PCS'd here. He was recommended by a friend at Randolph, and has helped a lot of inbound military families. His name is Moderator cut: name and web link. Mike's also got a lot of good local info on his web site. He was the best realtor we've dealt with in over 20 years of the USAF (I'm retired now, but still work on Lackland on Security Hill as a contractor).

Best of luck, and welcome to SA! But a December PCS bites!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by Bo; 11-21-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, no posting of realtor recommendations or links. Members interested can request from you by DM.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,627 times
Look at Alamo Ranch. Lots of ammenities and several options of price points/ builders. Welcome!!!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 04:55 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
One of the benefits of the Westcreek area is that there are several schools located IN the neighborhood...not sure that would be a player for you, but if so, might want to consider it.

All our kiddos are grown and gone, but I think there are two elementry and one middle school currently IN the neighborhood. Lots of folks like that. Our kids attended Galm...nice little "hometown" feeling school back then. Think LOTS of the teachers there have been there forever.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:33 AM

71 posts, read 205,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDana View Post
Look at Alamo Ranch. Lots of ammenities and several options of price points/ builders. Welcome!!!!!
We fell in love with alamo ranch but good luck finding rentals there. We found one in the DH Horton area but nothing in the pulte/weekly/toyota area south of alamo ranch parkway.

We liked that area of AR best for several reasons. There is a new elementary school coming online in 2009, the pulte rec area/pool is fabulous, and there seem to be more trees (either the developers where nicer or the trees or the area was less baren to begin with). Also putle/david/toyota subcommunities are quite small. Toyota only has like 45 homes and one putle area (woodburry?) has only 75 homes. Very quiet/nice.

As the area is quite new, more rentals will probably be coming online in 2009/2010 as the first wave of military that brought early moves out.

We drove through the westcreek/bella vista/newmark area. It's OK, not a bad option if you are commuting to lackland. The area other than the subdivisions is a wasteland, not very attractive driving down potranco and the potranco/1604 retail stuff is not as nice as the area around alamo ranch. But you might save 5+ minutes on your commute to lackland.

Also look around seaworld. Communities such as stonegate are gated, a little older but we found one rental available in december that was quite nice (unfortunately too late in the month for us).

Last edited by dontbugme; 11-22-2008 at 07:01 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 AM

Just be sure that the Pulte Rec/pool area referred to above is not the one at the Del Webb gated community in Alamo Ranch if you have children under 19 yrs of age and you are not 55+ yrs. That is for the Del Webb owners only. From what we have been told, the "retired" group in there has the options of using the AR Pulte pool facilities for grandkids when they come and visit because the areas in the retirement gated area (Hill Country Retreat) are age restricted.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbugme View Post
We drove through the westcreek/bella vista/newmark area. It's OK, not a bad option if you are commuting to lackland. The area other than the subdivisions is a wasteland, not very attractive driving down potranco and the potranco/1604 retail stuff is not as nice as the area around alamo ranch. But you might save 5+ minutes on your commute to lackland.
This seems a little rude seeing as how the poster is interested in this specific area. JMO. I think the word "wasteland" is a little harsh. To the poster, just look for yourself, the area is lovely and is supposedly the "up and coming" area of the future. If you are commuting to Lackland, you've made a beautiful choice of where to live.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Yea, I don't consider any undeveloped, tree covered, far as the eye can see nothing but nature a "wasteland" at all...I consider it a peaceful JOY to drive thru coming home. Heck, when we built in Westcreek in 1994 there was NOTHING out here...and now we are tripping over each other!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,627 times
holmesmic,
I live in Pulte's Woodbury Grant and you just missed a great home for lease! It wasn't up long and next thing I knew someone was moving in! Also, my neighbors had theirs up for sale only 2 weeks and it sold over thenew construction due to custom painting, window treatments, etc. already in. The Rec Center is great. There is an Ammenities Center that is exclusive to Del Webb but the one at Alamo Parkway and Volunteer Parkway is for all Pulte homes. I'll keep my eyes open in the neighborhood and let you know if I see anything. Happy house hunting and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 AM

165 posts, read 463,924 times
Thank you all for your comments. I do appreciate any and all comments. And I look forward to any more input. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio