Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 PM

530 posts, read 2,037,185 times

Advertisements

Want to see Monterrey or Mexico City? I'd get on a plane. Flights aren't too expensive. Avoid the border that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM

129 posts, read 335,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
The insurance policy usually guarantees your bond as well. If you are involved in an accident while in Mexico, and there is any type of confusion (believe me, there will be) you will most likely be brought to the local police station and be put in a cell until it's sorted out. That's what I meant by "the insurance policy guarantees your bond"...no cell for you.
Isn't the risk up ending up in a Mexican jail cell part the allure that prompts one to drive into the country?

Don't spoil the adventure.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
You might try the "Mexico" forum for American settlements in Mexico City. I'm sure you'd find some helpful "locals" with your trip planning.

You're wise to heed the advice not to drive into the interior of Mexico. It's not about how many billionaires there are in that country. Yes, there are a lot of wealthy Mexican Nationals, but they're not the ones you need to worry about.

BTW - Mexico City is a HUGE city....25 million plus in a soup bowl of pollution nestled between the mountains. Lots to see, but lots you don't want to see. Be sure you have a very careful itinerary planned out. Flying really would be the best bet if you go that far. Otherwise, a bus to Monterrey would be a very nice trip. It's a beautiful city with plenty to do and see.

RE: organ harvesting pretty much leaves a person dead. There was a case about 5-8 years ago where a number of women were brutally killed in Mexico and they suspected organ harvesting. I never heard any conclusion to that case and I don't think it's a common practice in this hemisphere. That's probably where you got that info.

Be safe and enjoy your trip!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
Isn't the risk up ending up in a Mexican jail cell part the allure that prompts one to drive into the country?

Don't spoil the adventure.

Hmmmm...not for me. Usually I'm on business and just want to get in and get out. The remaining instances, I'm visiting family in Guadalajara or Monterrey and wouldn't like to waste time in jail. Bought my way out of many a Mexican traffic stop though.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 AM

791 posts, read 3,960,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe most of those temples are actually close to Cancun.
The temple complex of Teotihuacan is on the outskirts of Mexico City. My mother climbed to the tops of the Temple of the Sun and Temple of the Moon when she was pregnant with me and then I climbed them myself 30 years later when I went back to visit for the first time (in town to catch a Rolling Stones concert). Pretty cool.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,376 times
Great info in this thread about Mexico. When my grandparents used to live in El Paso, we took the trolley into Ciudad Juarez. There were some shady things, but I got in and out. I hear it is much worst there now, with all the drug cartels and what not.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
Great info in this thread about Mexico. When my grandparents used to live in El Paso, we took the trolley into Ciudad Juarez. There were some shady things, but I got in and out. I hear it is much worst there now, with all the drug cartels and what not.
It is indeed much worse..I was just there last week.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
I hate to hear that, I've actually never been in Mexico (although I once flew an Air Force jet trainer over the border…but by accident), but hoped to go one day in the near future.

Unfortunately, due to my line of work (the same as rd2007), we are prohibited from crossing into Mexico by land for the time being. This due to all the problems they are having along the border at the moment.

There is a motorcycle rally being hosted by a friend of mine next Spring in Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico; and I really wish I could go as I expect it is a beautiful country and rich in culture from the photographs he's sent me.

The two governments need to work closer and harder to end the violence that is prohibiting travel and trade across the border!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
hope they allow it MMM, Mazatlan is one of my most favorite cities in the world. The people are very nice and there's just something in the air that makes me happy.
There's also a Sinaloa drug cartel unfortunately..

Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,424,644 times
I've always wanted to visit too - lots of culture and history there. But unfortunately I'm going to avoid it until things calm down over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio