Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It's not only an SA problem for sure. I just can't see how people go from human to animal so fast. I've been down financially quite a few times in my life, but robbing or stealing never came to mind. We just had to get creative with what got paid and the luxuries, along with most good tasting food, took a back seat. Some cheap bologna fried in a pan and slapped on some toast with mayo and cheese is a pretty good poor mans sandwich though.

mmm ..... fried bologna sandwiches.... yumm yummm!!!
a staple in Ohio and I don't know where else...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA08 View Post
Today my son & I were at the Mrs. Baird's outlet on Culebra. I noticed an ambulance and a LOT of Police cars zooming into the shell across the street from where we were. The ladies inside the Mrs Baird's shop told me there had been a shooting at the Shell just a few minutes before we got there & the shooter had left on foot but no one knew quite where he was.
There was a hellicopter over us within a couple of minutes doing circles as if looking for someone. That was all still going on when I left & came home. I've not seen anything on the news & see nothing online about it. I'm wondering if any of you know anything? I pray that who ever got shot is okay & that they caught the shooter!

This would be extremely frightening to me, esp if I had a child with me.
Seems like no where is safe anymore. Just absolutely nowhere.

Too many people feel too 'entitled' to take what they want, even if it means harming someone else, financially, emotionally, or physically.

It's plain nuts. I think we're not long here for the earth..... I do..
honest I do.....

Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 PM

311 posts, read 846,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinSA View Post
Glad to know you got out of there SA08

Thanks! I used to live in a neighborhood in Ca. where this type of thing was commonplace. That was in my single, twenty something years & it really never got to me much back then.
Today shook me up though. I'm sure it was the vulnerable feeling of having the baby with me & the more adult concerns that come into our lives as parents.

My Dad has said for years that until we go through a "spell" of "wild west" type days things won't settle down. People who decide they can rob folks need to wonder if that person may shoot them first. I'm not sure I agree with that thinking 100% but I'm seeing things go in that direction.

Lots of praying going on over here.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM

23 posts, read 39,904 times
This might make you feel alittle better SA08...You live in West patrol which is usually very active. In the last year or longer I have patrolled west off and on. The activity has dropped off quite abit from where it usually has been. Robberies/ Burglaries go up quite abit at this time of the year due the holidays.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
mmm ..... fried bologna sandwiches.... yumm yummm!!!
a staple in Ohio and I don't know where else...
My husband loves fried bologna sandwiches w/ mayo. I had never heard of such a thing before I met him.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
I know they have it in Michigan and Florida, because my wife and I both have had them before me met and it's one of the few things all four of us can agree on.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Fried bologna sandwiches on toast with mayo was a staple when I was growing up, too. (Now I can't STAND bologna, but my kids sure love it!) Also, we had grilled cheese sandwiches with sliced onion and ketchup inside! YYEEE-UM!! (I do still love those!)

My folks were born and raised in KS, sooooooo.........

Old 12-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Also when I was a kid, my mom used to buy big hunks of bologna at the butcher counter. EVERY store had a butcher counter in those days. For a long time, we had ONLY the butcher counter. I can remember how leary we were when pre-cut, pre-packed meat packages appeared in stores.

Anyway, she'd buy this big chunk of bologna, and she would mount this heavy, heavy meat grinder onto the kitchen table; it had a nut & plate that she would tighten up to attach the grinder firmly.
Then she'd cut this hunk of bologna into smaller chunks, grind it, and then grind pickles (relish in a jar was too expensive for us then), and she would put mayonnaise in the bowl and mix it altogether and made sandwiches on white bread (which was delivered a few times each week).

I hated pickles, so she would save a slice or two of bologna for me.

I still LOVE bologna and bologna sandwiches.

When I and my brothers were older, one of us, I forget who, bought Mom a food processor for Christmas or maybe a birthday. I think she used it maybe twice in her lifetime. Later, one of us bought her the little tiny countertop chopper; she did use that....

God Bless you, Mom, all the things you gave up and all the things you did to care for us.... I hope someone is feeding you bologna sandwiches up there in heaven...... they still surely can't taste as good as yours did, though.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:35 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Also when I was a kid, my mom used to buy big hunks of bologna at the butcher counter. EVERY store had a butcher counter in those days. For a long time, we had ONLY the butcher counter. I can remember how leary we were when pre-cut, pre-packed meat packages appeared in stores.

Anyway, she'd buy this big chunk of bologna, and she would mount this heavy, heavy meat grinder onto the kitchen table; it had a nut & plate that she would tighten up to attach the grinder firmly.
Then she'd cut this hunk of bologna into smaller chunks, grind it, and then grind pickles (relish in a jar was too expensive for us then), and she would put mayonnaise in the bowl and mix it altogether and made sandwiches on white bread (which was delivered a few times each week).

I hated pickles, so she would save a slice or two of bologna for me.

I still LOVE bologna and bologna sandwiches.

When I and my brothers were older, one of us, I forget who, bought Mom a food processor for Christmas or maybe a birthday. I think she used it maybe twice in her lifetime. Later, one of us bought her the little tiny countertop chopper; she did use that....

God Bless you, Mom, all the things you gave up and all the things you did to care for us.... I hope someone is feeding you bologna sandwiches up there in heaven...... they still surely can't taste as good as yours did, though.
My husband's Nana makes that stuff, calls it bologna spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio