Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:29 PM

129 posts, read 333,974 times

Advertisements

Thank you, to each of you very much.

Robert was laid to rest today at Fort Sam Houston. His widow has the support of the city, and officers from different cities such as Atlanta came to pay respects.

Hopefully, the other officer and the civilian injured are able to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
RIP Officer Davis. From all of the formal and informal eulogies in the media, it sounds like he was a great guy.

I saw an ad in today's paper for this local organization that provides financial support for the families of fallen LEOs and firefighters in SA. They've already issued a check to Officer Davis's family. It looks like an appropriate place to make a donation for anyone so inclined.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,521,162 times
I went out during lunch to do something and got caught in the procession. We of course pulled over to the side, and to see all the motorcycles and cars from other cities was amazing although very sad. I hope his family finds the suppport/comfort they need.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,112,968 times
OMG Revolver. My heartfelt condolences go out to you, the fallen officer, his friends and family. May God keep all involved, in His sweet arms of love.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
It's a crying shame that this happened. Part of me is glad I wasn't on the jury, but IMO they came to a just decision. It's hard to do, but it had to be done.

I hope both families find peace.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
I personally knew Robert and worked with his wife before they got married.

She is a wonderful person and it is a shame that this happened to him. He treated her well.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,704,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I hope both families find peace.
I do too, TR.......

Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
It is a shame that the defense attempted to pawn this off on a citizen, Darrel Lampkin, who had the right of way. They attempted to play the 'he has drug record and spent time in prison' card thinking everyone would forget facts and be outraged at this poor guy but it did not work. A detective on the case gave honest testimony to this effect instead of allowing the defense to transfer blame.

Witness In Cop Trial Disputes Defense Theory - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/25882343/detail.html - broken link)

Witness In Cop Trial Disputes Defense Theory - Video - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/video/25882874/index.html - broken link)

Spoiler
Just because someone was in prison does not mean anything bad that does happen is their fault. A recent random shooting comes to mind.

What does concern me is that the city, and police department specifically, seemed to allow Seaton to hang when another officer was also involved in a fatality crash where failing to control speed and even texting were involved. Where they did pawn off some of the blame on a victim. This seems to tell every officer risking their lives on a daily basis that unless you are high up in the chain of command you might not be protected for doing your job in the same manner as other officers. Read on for clarification regarding this last comment.

Now what is disturbing is that if speeding is part of the culture for police, especially those on duty because they have so many calls and limited time to respond to them all, as the defense also brought up, why is this not being focused upon? Or why isn't policy, official or unofficial, not going to be changed so something like this does not happen again?

Also if Seaton was just a bad apple then why is there not adequate supervision coupled with a working system that would allow the police department to take steps to properly weed out the bad apples before such incidents occur?

Speeding called 'way of life' at SAPD

If true then fault does not lie solely with Seaton but also with the working culture and inadequate oversight within the police department. In a manner of speaking should not those things be on trial too?

I feel that Seaton should have not been allowed to remain a cop but that this trial was perhaps excessive.

I also hope Darrel Lampkin and his family find peace and a speedy recovery as well as the other two families. Funny how some people's good wishes and prayers are not extended to everyone involved.

Last edited by Merovee; 11-30-2010 at 11:06 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
Merovee, an LEO is expected to exercise judgement - IOW, he was on a shoplifting call, one that didn't require immediate response at the speeds he was traveling. An "officer down" or "robbery in progress" - that would require a different response speed. He failed to exercise good judgement that resulted in a death. He deserved his day in court, and a jury found him guilty - that is the way it should work. The "way of life" speeding is there, but again - tempered with prudence and judgement, an obviously lacking component of Seaton's personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio