Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 PM

204 posts, read 336,098 times

Advertisements

When I moved here last year, I was a bit thrown off the first couple of times I saw them.

I lived all over the country and it's always been: Green arrow - protected turn, green light - turn if you want, but yield, and red light - no turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 03:36 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
I think when they put something new in place like that they should have signs or something to explain it until people get used them. It's confusing...and we don't really need more confusion on the roads.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 AM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I think when they put something new in place like that they should have signs or something to explain it until people get used them. It's confusing...and we don't really need more confusion on the roads.
In most places, there is is a sign by each signal:

"Left turn yield on flashing yellow arrow"

Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
TxDOT has announced that they're implementing the flashing yellow arrow statewide.

TxDOT Rolls Out New Traffic Tools to Increase Safety for Motorists, Highway Construction Workers

Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 PM

65 posts, read 136,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
TxDOT has announced that they're implementing the flashing yellow arrow statewide.

TxDOT Rolls Out New Traffic Tools to Increase Safety for Motorists, Highway Construction Workers
good.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
I do not like them.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM

296 posts, read 1,249,605 times
More importantly, what the heck is with the lack of left turns at large intersections here??? Is it just me or is that super inconvenient? I lived in CA suburbs previously, so I think I got a little spoiled with all the perfectly planned out roads and intersections in the area I was living in... I don't really understand the roads here, I find it very confusing. My GPS constantly tells me to turn left but there's no left turn, only a turn-around thing halfway down the road. I noticed this specifically on the 281/Stone Oak area, and you can't just drive straight across Evans road.. you have to turn onto the 281, make a U turn at the turn-around, and then turn back onto Evans. I'm getting used to it, but it's crazy to me. Now I have to worry about blinking yellow lights too?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
More importantly, what the heck is with the lack of left turns at large intersections here??? Is it just me or is that super inconvenient? I lived in CA suburbs previously, so I think I got a little spoiled with all the perfectly planned out roads and intersections in the area I was living in... I don't really understand the roads here, I find it very confusing. My GPS constantly tells me to turn left but there's no left turn, only a turn-around thing halfway down the road. I noticed this specifically on the 281/Stone Oak area, and you can't just drive straight across Evans road.. you have to turn onto the 281, make a U turn at the turn-around, and then turn back onto Evans. I'm getting used to it, but it's crazy to me. Now I have to worry about blinking yellow lights too?

By way of explanation, the turn around/left turn lanes along 281 north of 1604 are relatively new. They were just starting to put them in when I got here in 2010 or so to relieve congestion along that stretch of 281.

TXHwyMan is probably better able to explain the method to the madness...

Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM

952 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

ahhh crap!

Old 06-18-2013, 02:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
While it may seem counterintuitive, trust me, it is MUCH faster than it used to be. You had to wait through a long light cycle, with about 4-5 different greens, until you could go across. And it was short. Yes, now you have 2 lights, but the total time is much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio