Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times

Advertisements

Eh, I see how drug use and prostitution may make people uncomfortable, but it is nothing new.

A sack of pot was found just last week in a Chinese tomb approximately 3,000 years old and prostitution has been around even longer.

In addition, there are certain cultures in the world where both are generally accepted.

I think a very western point of view is being expressed on this thread - which is fine - we are in America.

But not everyone can fit a mold - laws try to do it, religion tries to do it - but it cant be done - especially since the world is becoming such a melting pot.

Eh, I can see the potential problems with drugs and prostitution, but is the government stepped in to run each industry, perhaps we would be better off.

Think of prohibition...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
Just because it's not new doesn't make it right.

And you're right, there are cultures where everything is accepted. But which cultures and what have they contributed to society that is positive?

Even Amsterdam realized that their whole sex and drugs culture didn't lead to anything but crime and the downfall of their society.

Coffee Shops, Bordellos to Close in Amsterdam Crackdown | Europe | Deutsche Welle | 08.12.2008

Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Great, everyone can complain that City Hall is not fixing the problem. But, if they were doing nothing, then total complaining about that. How about, ONE person, Wait, I'll be the first. Thanks City Hall, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. No, this wont stop prostitution, and yes, we can all see loopholes, but how about thanking our city leaders for at least trying. The economy sucks right now. We are going to have every kind of problem imaginable. Theft in stores of gifts, food, prostitution, male and female is going to increase.
Thats the same analogy of saying a cheap burglar alarm on your car isnt going to stop it from getting stolen, no, but it will slow some of the criminals down, deter maybe one or two of them. Make it just a little harder for one little tête-à-tête (thats out of the english dictionary) to take place. Lets try and look on the side of, they are looking at ways of slowing it down. Honestly, the business owners of those No-tell motels ought to be the ones griping. They are infringing on their right to lawful business practice. If they came up with an ordinance for new motels, or anyone that got a new C O O, then, ok, but one that is in business, should be able to ask for a grandfather clause, IMO. 2 cents worth.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
And couples that need to get away are probably going to legit hotels that rent by the day, which is where most of them would go anyway. The Holiday Inn's of the world aren't going to be affected like this.
"Legit" hotels are: a) not cheap in San Antonio and b) can and do sometimes rent by the hour, too; they just keep it under wraps. Given the overall socioeconomic situation of San Antonio, not everyone can afford the brand hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I agree, kevcrawford........just let one of these "by the hour" hotels open up in an otherwise desirable neighborhood that one of these posters happens to live in and see how big an issue it becomes.
Some of this has happened in other cities... Houston comes to mind. In some cases, they probably are once "legit" hotels/motels that can no longer compete with the brand new property on the interstate, or perhaps what was once a desirable neighborhood changed and so the hotel/motel changed, too to stay in business. Besides, how many branded hotels in nicer areas have lost their brand or changed it. One of these days, given the great number of properties in San Antonio, this sort of thing might start happenning in nicer areas too... if it hasn't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaertl View Post
These motels are not in industrial areas where no one lives, they are in neighborhoods. Mostly older, rundown parts of town. Do any of you live near them? Your main concern is the "taggers". I'll bet if you had taggers and prostitutes in your neighborhood the prostitutes would invoke more concern. The council-people have an obligation to the neighborhoods to try something. Outlawing prostitution didn't work. Patrolling didn't work. It's time to try something else. Will it work, probably not, but it is a step in the right direction.
The right step would be the police doing their job to enforce laws against the criminal act, not a business who may or may not be used for the act. As someone else mentioned, probably drugs and the violence around them is the more likely concern, and while both can be frequently a part of tagging and prostitution, we don't solve the tagging by outlawing buildings and bridges. Or perhaps we should ban guns since they can be used for murder.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Honestly, the business owners of those No-tell motels ought to be the ones griping. They are infringing on their right to lawful business practice. If they came up with an ordinance for new motels, or anyone that got a new C O O, then, ok, but one that is in business, should be able to ask for a grandfather clause, IMO. 2 cents worth.
A sound and reasonable proposal and one that actually would have accomplished the intent of the ban without penalizing existing businesses.

update: However, any existing business that knowingly allows criminal activity to continue, supports it, or will not allow police to help rid of it, can still be penalized -- there are many tools the city has at its disposal.

Last edited by datacity; 12-13-2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Elaboration

Old 12-13-2008, 01:35 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

Besides, I could certainly understand someone needing a room for a few hours to shower and take a nap before continuing on a long road trip perhaps.
I hadn't thought about it like that. I happen to see how they can be useful, that way.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:44 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
Why is paying for sex or taking drugs "immoral", perhaps just against your morals.
What are your morals? Where do they come from?

Old 12-13-2008, 01:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
A sound and reasonable proposal and one that actually would have accomplished the intent of the ban without penalizing existing businesses.
Not sure I agree. The target group of businesses that advertise "hourly" rates and promote this type of business are creating trouble spots for the community. It draws in illegal activity, which most likely negatively effects the property values of neighboring businesses or homes. Why would anyone really oppose this unless they just like to disagree for the argument sake? Honestly, we all need to make a living, but should we be concerned about a business owner that caters to a criminal element?

Old 12-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Not sure I agree. The target group of businesses that advertise "hourly" rates and promote this type of business are creating trouble spots for the community. It draws in illegal activity, which most likely negatively effects the property values of neighboring businesses or homes. Why would anyone really oppose this unless they just like to disagree for the argument sake? Honestly, we all need to make a living, but should we be concerned about a business owner that caters to a criminal element?
I usually don't drive in the parts of town where many of these places are, but I don't think I have ever seen advertisements of any kind. Frankly, if there are individual properties that cater to criminal elements, sounds like the police should have a field day... what with knowing where a crime will take place beforehand.

As for the business owners, while I think there must be some bad apples (the motel version of apartment slum lords), based on what I have heard, most of these seem to be family owned, where they are just trying to make a living, put their kids through school so they can go to college and do something else.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:56 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle13 View Post
I would never stay at places "by the hour". Imagine the stains both visible and ughhh invisible....
Have you ever thought about how clean hotels are in general? I am guessing even the "nice" ones have all sorts of nastys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio