Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,730,633 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Goodwill (or whatever charity) takes cardboard boxes? I have at least 100 left over from the move, all flattened and in great condition, and I'd really like to get rid of the things. I doubt the city will take them for recycling since the last time I set out cardboard they wouldn't take it until I cut it down small enough to fit in the blue bin. I haven't gotten onto Craigslist yet... that's kind of my last resort. Is that probably the only way I'll find someone who wants them?

Of course if anybody here wants them that's cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:39 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,869,877 times
I see them on craigslist all the time......it's pretty easy to post an ad on there for them, so that wouldn't be my last resort. Lately, it's the first place I think of when I have something to sell or give away.

I know where I work we have a dumpster just for cardboard--they recycle it, so you may be able to find a business near your home that has one and you can just dump them in there.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Those green and yellow recycling dumpsters at most of the schools seem to be magnets for cardboard boxes. Now that most of San Antonio has curbside recycling, those aren't as popular as they used to be. Closest one to you is probably at Churchill High School.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 AM

139 posts, read 362,155 times
The city did take ours once without a fee (one time free bulk pick up type of thing), but they had to be tied up in 4ftx4ft or smaller piles weighing less than 20lbs each (or 15lbs..something like that. I called 311 for this service).
We got rid of a lot this one time pick up, and them broke down the rest every recyling day. Saved the best boxes for storage. HTH!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 AM

135 posts, read 511,482 times
I would love to take them off your hands if you still have them (we're going to be moving in the near future & I also use tons of boxes for shipping the stuff I sell on eBay).

Beyond that, Craigslist or SARecycle (it's a yahoo group similar to Freecycle) would be my suggestion.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,730,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnzFam View Post
I would love to take them off your hands if you still have them (we're going to be moving in the near future & I also use tons of boxes for shipping the stuff I sell on eBay).

Beyond that, Craigslist or SARecycle (it's a yahoo group similar to Freecycle) would be my suggestion.
You want 'em, you've got 'em (or however many you want anyway). All of them are broken down except for the wardrobe kind with the bar at the top - those are filled with packing paper. Sizes range from small, medium and large... I'm honestly not sure how many there are. The stack is 2-3 feet high?

I'm free in the evening - feel free to PM me for a time if you want any. I'd rather give them away here because everybody's far less a stranger than random craigslist people, but if they all aren't taken I'll recycle them there or in a bin by the school. It's cardboard, I'll find some way or another to recycle it.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,757 times
I have dozens of flattened moving boxes as well as some bags of bubble wrap that I would love to give to someone who is moving. I need them off my balcony and when I put them near the recycling, I was told they needed to be in the recycling bin. But that bin is always FULL so here they sit. If you want them, they are yours.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM

83 posts, read 155,502 times
I always save my moving boxes in my outside storage, so when I move again.. I don't have to find or buy any boxes.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM

944 posts, read 2,031,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenannl View Post
I have dozens of flattened moving boxes as well as some bags of bubble wrap that I would love to give to someone who is moving. I need them off my balcony and when I put them near the recycling, I was told they needed to be in the recycling bin. But that bin is always FULL so here they sit. If you want them, they are yours.
I could use some boxes and especially the bubble wrap, I have a move coming up in a month or two. DM me if you're willing to have me come pick them up.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:30 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,984,138 times
I've been looking for some cardboard recycling place & everyone keeps mentioning the Paper Retriever bins at schools. But I was under the impression those bins were for PAPER and not cardboard? If I remember correctly, it said "no cardboard" on the bins? Or am I wrong about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio