Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,406 times

Advertisements

How can it already be over a year from when I first posted the quiet Monte Vista question?? Since that post we moved to the other side of 281 and bought a house in Terrell Hills. I really loved my time in Monte Vista - but it was simply was too quiet. & the schools of course.

I'm reposting now first to say many thanks to all of the replys (although not sure sure how the deadbeat brother post is related aside from the absentee-theme, fascinating to read though). Now that I've got almost 3 years of San Antonio living under my belt I thought I'd chime in with my own more seasoned theory... which goes back to demographics. Although there are perhaps a dozen excellent restaurants in town, SA simply doesn't have the large demographic group needed to support hip, modern, good quality restaurants on an everyday basis. & without that market, instead of a vibrant restaurant scene, we just get a few shining stars here & there. It's simply one of many adjustments I've had to get used to in addition to others such as the lack of a Lady Bird Lake running trail, decent coffee in the taquerias, good drainage, and an interesting, fresh, non-tourist-laden downtown.

Now I have gotten used to some other things that help take the sting out of the above such as stunning & varied historical architecture, little or no traffic, SA tex-mex (in particular excellent corn tortillas, Austin rarely gets those right), & affordable amenities.

I still haven't learned to cook though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 09:58 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,000,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquargirl View Post
How can it already be over a year from when I first posted the quiet Monte Vista question?? Since that post we moved to the other side of 281 and bought a house in Terrell Hills. I really loved my time in Monte Vista - but it was simply was too quiet. & the schools of course.

I'm reposting now first to say many thanks to all of the replys (although not sure sure how the deadbeat brother post is related aside from the absentee-theme, fascinating to read though). Now that I've got almost 3 years of San Antonio living under my belt I thought I'd chime in with my own more seasoned theory... which goes back to demographics. Although there are perhaps a dozen excellent restaurants in town, SA simply doesn't have the large demographic group needed to support hip, modern, good quality restaurants on an everyday basis. & without that market, instead of a vibrant restaurant scene, we just get a few shining stars here & there. It's simply one of many adjustments I've had to get used to in addition to others such as the lack of a Lady Bird Lake running trail, decent coffee in the taquerias, good drainage, and an interesting, fresh, non-tourist-laden downtown.

Now I have gotten used to some other things that help take the sting out of the above such as stunning & varied historical architecture, little or no traffic, SA tex-mex (in particular excellent corn tortillas, Austin rarely gets those right), & affordable amenities.

I still haven't learned to cook though...
Im pretty sure you are severely mis-guided. You need to look at the part of town you live in and maybe then you can say that. Come to the northside where we have all of what you lack minus lady bird lake. Although i'm sure you knew San Antonio did not have a lake in DT. To say San Antonio's DT is tourist only is pretty stupid. Have you heard of the missions? San Antonio's Dt is rich in history as well. Not to mention a thriving nightlife for locals and visitors alike. Some one need to look no further than the mirror.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 53,235 times
Default Keep talking

OK, tsquargrl, keep talking. We are thinking of moving and MV is very high on our list. We live in Atlanta, downtown historic district, and that's what we want, but we also want that vibrant, artsy, coffee-house-kish, non-chain eateries that are noisy, lots of laughing, people walking and riding bikes, etc. Our kids are gone, and we like quiet sudnay mornings on the porch... So, is MV, AV, KW, OP it or not? Too quiet? Atlanta is a rowdy place. And we are originally from Houston.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbiker View Post
OK, tsquargrl, keep talking. We are thinking of moving and MV is very high on our list. We live in Atlanta, downtown historic district, and that's what we want, but we also want that vibrant, artsy, coffee-house-kish, non-chain eateries that are noisy, lots of laughing, people walking and riding bikes, etc. Our kids are gone, and we like quiet sudnay mornings on the porch... So, is MV, AV, KW, OP it or not? Too quiet? Atlanta is a rowdy place. And we are originally from Houston.
As an MV resident who likes lots of the same things, I was puzzled by tsquargrl's response.

Not because SA tends to have fewer independent restaurant/bar/shopping options than places like Atlanta or Houston (that's certainly true, and shouldn't be a big surprise, given SA's metro population). But it's not like Terrell Hills has more or less to offer than MV (and, frankly, the architecture in MV is better than TH).

If you want independent restaurants/shops that are walkable from historic neighborhoods, I'd argue that King William/Lavaca is the best place for that. MV and OP are probably tied for second. But SA really doesn't have an area that can compete with the best parts of Atlanta/Houston/Dallas/Austin/etc. (though things are slowly improving in that department).

Good luck; would love more folks like you in SA!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 10,406 times
Surferbiker, I would urge you to come to SA and stay in the neighborhood before moving. There are some lovely B&Bs in MV. Come get a feel for the area. MV is a gorgeous, unique historic neighborhood - no doubt about it. My husband and I just found it very quiet. Sometimes the area felt a little like a ghost town. Perhaps our little pocket of the neighborhood was more quiet than usual. Dvlpr seems to have lived in MV longer than my year and half and so I would listen to his advice closely.

We moved across the highway to Terrell Hills b/c we like being so close to the Alamo Heights Broadway Corridor. We can walk or ride our bikes to Central Market, Brackenridge Park, the Witte and the McNay, restaurants, retail, our gym, etc. I find the AH/TH area better for running - although Trinity Univ. in MV has some great running facilities that are open to the public. As for architecture, although TH is not as historical, there are many lovely and interesting homes in varied styles with beautiful landscaping and lovely irregular lots. & yes, the good school district was an important factor.

If you like a more vibrant scene and aren't concerned w/school districts, you should consider the King William area. It's definitely a lively area with a dynamic atmosphere and heaps of fantastic architecture. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 AM

6 posts, read 8,323 times
Thumbs up Monte Vista ...where is everyone

Interesting observation...maybe MV residents venture out to other parts of the city for different restaurants such as the Quarry and Alamo Heights area...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquargirl View Post
My husband & I moved to SA about a year ago from Austin. We settled in Monte Vista. We love the neighborhood and the lovely historic homes... but noticed pretty quickly on that sometimes the area feels like a ghost town. Where is everyone??? We eat out a lot in the local restaurants (3 to 4 times a week) - Valentinos, Cioa Lavenderia, Caparellis, the Bharmacy, Olmos Perks, & find that much of the time these eateries are less than 25% filled?

I'm bewildered b/c the neighborhood is quite nice and neighbors are well-off - but it seems as is most of the residents from Monte Vista & Olmos Park stay in. Friends visiting us from out of town are astounded that we can easily go dinner at 7p on a Friday night w/out reservations. We like it - but sometimes it is a little lonely.

So here's my question? Everyone in you beautiful houses, are you all cooking breakfast, lunch, & dinner at home? Or patronizing restaurants in other parts of the city? Just curious...

Old 05-02-2010, 09:53 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
What about the downtown area? There is between 300-400 places to choose from. I actually love going to dine on the River at least once a month. I love Rosarios in Southtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio