Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
I now need fridge repair. Ours is shaking and rattling. I don't know why. It's only about 3-4 years old, whirlpool. Just checking to see if anyone else has any recs for repair? Thanks!
Shaking and rattling? You've got to kill 'em (make sure they're dead) before putting them up on ice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
Quote:
I now need fridge repair. Ours is shaking and rattling. I don't know why. It's only about 3-4 years old, whirlpool. Just checking to see if anyone else has any recs for repair? Thanks!
Is everything still working?? Still getting cold? Ice maker works? Does it do this constantly?

Ours was making a horrible sound (only sometimes). It had something to do with the ice maker. Something in the freezer was touching the little rod that goes up and down in the ice maker. It would make the noise when the rod tried to move.
Not that this is your problem, (mine wasn't shaking and rattling) but hopefully your problems is as easy to fix.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,699,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Is everything still working?? Still getting cold? Ice maker works? Does it do this constantly?

Ours was making a horrible sound (only sometimes). It had something to do with the ice maker. Something in the freezer was touching the little rod that goes up and down in the ice maker. It would make the noise when the rod tried to move.
Not that this is your problem, (mine wasn't shaking and rattling) but hopefully your problems is as easy to fix.

Yep, everything is still working! That's what's so weird. I'm so afraid to let it go because then it might make things worse. I think I'm going to try a few things today, and I'll see if it stops? I hate when things don't work. Boo.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times
Unless this is warranty work go shopping for a new one. Out of warranty work is outrageous in price.....

Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Mojokitty, I sent you a dm. Don't worry I'm not trying to get business , my dh doesn't work for the public, just trying to help .

Let me know what you find.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Never thought I'd ever hear myself say this but I'd call Sears. If you bought it from Sears or Sears carries the brand especially! Yep, they won't be cheap. Like A/C's, all (most) of our Refrigerators and freezers are being made in China!! Used to be if you bought from Sears you got the Coldspot or Kenmore name!! Whirlpool and Gibson actually made them. Now Sears carries all brands I think!! Ice maker manufacturers for different brands have come and gone !! Some made their own. The most reliable for many years has been one made by Dole!! Most Manufacturers now use a version of it!! It's been dumbed down and cheapened so much the last few years it's not as dependable as it used to be!! Unfortunately , our last side by side from Sears my son purchased while I was under the weather!! Not a bad choice except for ice and water in the door option!!
The way this one operates the buckets in the door and must use photocell circuitry . Two electronic control boards. Our ice maker has acted up and it's particularly complex because of photo eye controls. I could have taken care of it! Only problem is I had the kick plate removed for the last few months. Why? Because instead of using the common Condenser fan motor all refrigerators have used with extraordinary dependability for the past 40 - 50 years!!! These new Energy Star Models now use what has always been used as an Evaporator fan in Frost Free models. Really chicken S**t little motor which quit starting without an assist in about the 5 th year. There was a schematic diagram and a pictorial diagram tucked away inside the kick plate! While I had it off the cat clawed the paperwork out of their holders . Wife found them on floor thought they were trash and tossed them!! Loverly !! 10 years ago I could have told you all about the pros and cons of different brands not now !! They are much like A/C'S not much difference in them with some exceptions of course!!
There are many problems you can diagnose and repair yourself if you have a bit of technical ingenuity. So an online advice forum or such could help. Many repair outfits with various reputations out there!! Sears won't be cheap but will be reliable and more likely to do the job right!! There may be others I've been out of the loop a while!! Good luck!!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
MK, What did you ever find out??

Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
Believe it or not, if its just sticking of ice and noise, I've used vegetable oil spray around the ice tray and moving parts. You just throw away two or three trays of ice, but it releases the ice easier after that and also the other parts gets oiled. If you do get any in your ice, its vegetable oil, only a little taste, nothing to worry bout. I've used it in the trays too.

The whole unit comes out fairly easily too. normaly three or four screws inside the freezer. Remove that, clean it, tighten it, oil it, replace it.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,080 times
pushing this up to the top....any new recommendations for fridge repair company??

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-15-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
pushing this up to the top....any new recommendations for fridge repair company??
I'd re-iterate Sears as your first choice.

Why? Because Sears makes up the difference in pay for their employees who are called to active duty in the Guard or Reserves and continues the health care coverage for their families at no expense to the soldier.

To me, that makes doing business with them worthwhile, a way of saying "Thank you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio