Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 PM

116 posts, read 452,724 times

Advertisements

Well it looks like I drive through the top 3 everyday on my way to and from work! Luckily I have not had any accidents...then again...I don't talk on the phone while I drive and I know how to yield. That is my biggest pet peeve....people don't seem to know how to yield. 1604 East to 281 North is the PITS, very poor layout...but we've discussed that a trillion times on here....but I agree with the previous posters....put the cell phone away, slow down and PAY ATTENTION! Seems so simple...but some people are just clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
That list confirms my belief that SA drivers do not know how to drive on a freeway. I've seen so many stupid acts on the freeway, mostly becasue people do not pay attention and drive way over the limit. 70 and a conversation with a back seat passenger do not mix.
I do my best to stay off the freeways. So far, so good.
I doubt the accidents on 1604 & 281 are on the freeway,
I bet most of them are people stressed from being stuck in traffic

Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
281 and Bitters was the worst intersection in the city about 6 years ago.....now it's not on the list.
The Bitters part of 281 and Bitters has more lanes than it did 6 years ago. TxDOT must want us to know that adding some dividers and dedicated turn lanes took all of the danger out of it.

I'd be interested to know how much over their capacity these interchanges are. IMO, that has to be a contributing factor, since frustrated drivers are more likely to make impulsive lane changes and try to sneak through past the end of light cycles. I have had recent experiences with 20-30 minute delays at rush hour trying to get through the ones that include IH-10.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
I go through the number one spot almost everyday and have yet to see a wreck luckily.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:11 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
Oh goodie, between work and soccer I drive thru 6 of them daily. Suddenly I feel like I have a huge target on me.........

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 PM

288 posts, read 926,673 times
I have to reiterate the cell phone issue! My husband tells everyone, constantly, all the time, over and over (you get my point) not to talk on the phone or text while driving. He actually stresses texting the most, but regardless he says he can not count the accidents they respond to that have cell phone users to blame. He has responded to several one car crashes that are solely the driver's fault because they were texting. One accident was about six months ago when traffic on 1604 was so extremely backed up because a car jumped the median and went into one of the dried up creeks. It was somewhere between Lockhill and Huebner. Some of you might remember that. It was a girl in her early twenties who was texting. I admit, I used to be really bad about using my phone in the car, but now that I have an iPhone it's too hard, and I am so thankful for that! It keeps me from texting while driving. I feel so stupid that I took that kind of chance. Everyone please forgive me for putting your life at risk because I "had" to make a call or send a "very important" message to a friend. Please encourage your kids, spouses and friends not to use their phones while driving. It could be someone else's life they change forever as a result.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
In addition to the phone distractions, my husband was always frustrated by women who applied make-up while driving and then caused accidents. He would respond to a collision, be talking to one of the drivers, and see eyeliner, mascara, and brushes strewn all over the floorboards. Oh my gosh! Lipstick or even blush is one thing....but eyeliner?!?!?! Seriously?!?!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
I have to reiterate the cell phone issue! My husband tells everyone, constantly, all the time, over and over (you get my point) not to talk on the phone or text while driving. He actually stresses texting the most, but regardless he says he can not count the accidents they respond to that have cell phone users to blame. He has responded to several one car crashes that are solely the driver's fault because they were texting. One accident was about six months ago when traffic on 1604 was so extremely backed up because a car jumped the median and went into one of the dried up creeks. It was somewhere between Lockhill and Huebner. Some of you might remember that. It was a girl in her early twenties who was texting. I admit, I used to be really bad about using my phone in the car, but now that I have an iPhone it's too hard, and I am so thankful for that! It keeps me from texting while driving. I feel so stupid that I took that kind of chance. Everyone please forgive me for putting your life at risk because I "had" to make a call or send a "very important" message to a friend. Please encourage your kids, spouses and friends not to use their phones while driving. It could be someone else's life they change forever as a result.
I totally agree. TEXTING ??? Seriously. Talking is bad enough, but even the most talented texter is taking such a risk. Didn't people learn from that horrible train wreck a couple of months ago involving those kids texting the trains engineer???

Yes....a trying to drive fast is insane. So many of the pile ups are people who gain momentum, start speeding and end up rear ending cars backed up to exit at these trouble spots. It happens without any warning. They go from 80 mph to a brick wall.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
anyone notice a correlation between the most common accident spots and how stupid the design of those particular areas is? I'm surprised 151/410 isn't on the list, the on/off ramps there are probably the most dorktarded design I've ever seen.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,542,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
anyone notice a correlation between the most common accident spots and how stupid the design of those particular areas is? I'm surprised 151/410 isn't on the list, the on/off ramps there are probably the most dorktarded design I've ever seen.
I agree, when we first moved here it took us a while to figure out how the heck to navigate 151/410. I still try to avoid that area, getting on to 151 from the 410 access road is a pita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio