Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 PM

39 posts, read 98,942 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of old items that should be dissolved off my credit, but are lowering my score. I need to find a lawyer who is proficient in writing dispute letters to the credit companies. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Most lawyers won't mess with that, and if they do, it will cost you over $75 per hour. Just pull your credit report off annualcreditreport.com for free, then file the disputes as per the guidelines in the instructions. Most of the info will tell you that it will come off at a certain date. If it's not yours, then the same thing, dispute it, very simple, I've done mine and cleared it for myself and several of my friends.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
It's easy to do it yourself. The entire dispute process is outlined on CreditBoards.com - Credit Help, Credit Repair Tips, News, Forums

You will need to purchase copies of your credit reports (that way disputed items must be resolved in 30 days vs. 45 if you get the free report, increasing your chances of success). Then go through the process to remove old addresses (so owners of false line items on the report can't send correspondence to old addresses where you won't get it). After that you send a demand for validation (DV) letter to the credit agencies (Equifax, ...) for each line item that shouldn't be there.

Samples of both kinds of letters and instructions for how to print them out (font and color so an actual human has to read them instead of a machine) are available from creditboards.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
same thing I was going to say and I would add that the OP should check out how long things are reported, because they might be surprised..

Understanding your credit report (http://www.salliemae.com/before_college/planning-wisely/debtsavvy/repayment/understand-credit-report.htm - broken link)

https://www.nelliemae.com/managingmo...it_report.html

Old 01-13-2009, 04:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
That, and how often things are re-reported. I cleaned my fiance's credit report from a bogus medical-related charge in collection and it looked like the collection agency that held it was re-reporting it every month or two.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
before dh and i got married he had horrible credit and we cleaned it up ourselves by doing what the above posters mentioned --- we got a credit report from all 3 agencies and we disputed it all ourselves --- this was prior to the big internet days so everything was done in writing via snail mail --- we had to provide proof that things were paid off along with the dispute letters --- it took some time and effort but his credit report looked much better just in the end just before the wedding...

Old 01-13-2009, 12:46 PM

68 posts, read 234,094 times
I'm also a member of creditboards. Definately read into the Texas Finance Code. It will work wonders in removing collection agencies from your reports. They don't even respond to me when I use the TFC. They just remove the tradeline and dissapear forever.

Another thing to remember is that no one can sue for your debt after 4 years. That is the Texas statute of limitations. In other words, you're off the hook. However, they can still call you and report to the credit bureaus for much longer.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 PM

75 posts, read 192,286 times
Default Where can you go on internet about after 4yrs your credit is gone

Attention SAFTW: I have the following questions. Where can you go on the Internet to get that information about Texas statute of limitation(4Yrs). What is Texas Finance Code. You stated will work wonders in removing collection agencies from your reports and don't even repond to you when you use TFC. I am trying to help someone to help them with credit ratings. Thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Free credit repair, credit report dispute, and collection dispute advice: Electronic Credit Repair Kit (tm)

Follow this link, it will give you lots of info on how, and what to do about fixing and restoring credit.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/...ir.shtml#steps

and this one from the Texas Atty Gen. these two should give you just about everything you need.

The statute of limitations on debt in Texas limits the time you can be sued for a debt.
Oral Contract: 4 years
Written Contract: 4 years
Promissory Note: 4 years
Open-Ended Accounts: 4 years

Last edited by sinsativ; 01-16-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 07:30 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
How does one go about having old addresses removed from their credit reports, as mentioned above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio