Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,204 times

Advertisements

Hi hi! I'm new here! I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm going to be doing a mural on a wall roughly 9ft by 13ft. The mural is for a medical office type place down in the medical center *naturally*. And my client *my uncle* wants the mural to 'capture' San Antonio and be colorful and contemporary. Yay!

So a couple of things came to my mind. The mural has to have some sort of iconic building in it, the more the merrier. And I wanted to stay away from something too touristy, like the river walk. Unless I can pull it off in a more contemporary way . I'm looking for a nice balance between detail and skyline shot. Oh and, while night time views are beautiful - the mural is day time.

well anyways

apparently my photography skills suck. And despite several visits around town, I've yet to take a photo thats good enough to be my reference material for the mural! I'm having some trouble figuring out uh...how do you get high enough to get a good view of SA anyways???

We tried using some of the city parking lots and climbing up, but most of the views didn't really capture any iconic building in a aesthetic way. There are some nice views while driving on the highway, but Im too chicken to pull over. Is that even legal?

I see there are a lot of photos here already! It's going to take me time looking through them all. I really do love some of the downtown pictures posted here, better than anything I've taken

I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice on where to go to get a good skyline shot for the mural? Ive heard about the downtown UTSA campus, but I didnt want the skyline to be...too tiny?

Or if you have one already, mind posting it here? If you have THE ONE I am looking for, then let me buy a print off of you

I found this pic online but I can't find any information on it. Making it useless!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x.../SASkyline.jpg

Its clean, its nice! Its got plenty of iconic buildings neatly lined up in a row, and lots of green stuff in the bottom *which works great for a mural since no one is going to be paying attention to the lowest two feet anyways*. I dont suppose anyone here has any idea of the original source material for this photo?

And so Im not being completely greedy, heres a shot I took earlier today in my lame attempt to incorporate the tourch into the mural. I like the shot! And it was kinda exciting at the time because the spot was hazardous to stand in . . . But it just doesn't have enough buildings!

so uh..HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
SA Mural - Need Help!-thetourch.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,824,482 times
Why not do a mural of the medical center skyline from downtown? Definitly not touristy and since the building your going to put it on is in the medical center, a view from downtown to the medical center would work.
Or, try going to the hill country and getting a shot from there toweards downtown with the medical center in the foreground, and the tower in the background.
Just some thoughts. I do not know where your photo is from or who gets credit.
The medical center is a towncenter in it's own right, so that's why I was thinking of making it the center of the mural.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 PM

18,045 posts, read 25,090,040 times
The only view that I know is from the Alamo stadium parking lot facing South to downtown.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,804,368 times
Or, you could do a mural of San Antonio from say, a Fiest viewpoint, thats coming up in April. Thats always colorful. The theme is on display and you can copy almost any year you like, or mix them up. Use the year your Uncle was born, got his Med license, got married, opened the business as cornerstones. then touch each year lightly. just a quick thought.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,309,470 times
What a great opportunity for you! San Antonio has become known for it's wonderful mural art around the city. If you haven't done so, it might be a good idea to take a personal tour and see what has been depicted in some of this fabulous art. You are in incredible company as some of these murals are by very well known artists! You may get some inspiration and also avoid repeating something that has been done.

Check with the Texana Department in the downtown library for information....as well as the San Antonio Tour Guides Association. They will know where to point you to the notable works of art as they are often on their tours.

Personally I think the photo you chose is wonderful. The composition and color is fabulous, but be sure and locate the individual that posted it. Was it posted under a member's name? Hopefully you can contact them via a DM for permission if you decide to use something like that.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,204 times
thanks for the advice! Ill keep them in mind. April is too far away to wait to get a picture, I want to start the mural in two weeks. Mostly because Im such a slow painter and I thin he wants it done by march..... And as for famous SA murals, would it be an overkill to have a mural in a mural? I always found that giant angel mural of one that hospital amazing!

I still can't find any information on the original picture I found....Any ideas where they took the picture from?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM

378 posts, read 1,437,807 times
you can find many murals along the inner westside right by downtown. I always thought of the Lady of Guadalupe as a good SA cultural theme.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,309,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juroara View Post
..... And as for famous SA murals, would it be an overkill to have a mural in a mural? I always found that giant angel mural of one that hospital amazing!

I still can't find any information on the original picture I found....Any ideas where they took the picture from?
Are you talking about the Santa Rosa Hospital? The concept of a mural that includes a building with a mural is very interesting. I'm wondering if that might suggest that you're uncle's office is affiliated with Santa Rosa.....and I'm not sure about copying another artists work....at least without permission. It may not be a problem since it would only be a tiny part of your mural...but better safe than sorry.

As far at the first photo....did you try contacting the poster who shared it with City Data. I'm also wondering if that photo may be a digitally enhanced photograph because of the great colors. It might actually be someones artwork. That doesn't mean you can't be inspired by their technique and find your "angle" of the city and enhance it as they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio