Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Owl

112 posts, read 556,008 times

Advertisements

What about The Mad Hatter's Tea Room? I've not been there yet, but I've heard it is a great place. A friend of mine goes there to write his Great American Novel. I believe it is near the Riverwalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
What about The Mad Hatter's Tea Room? I've not been there yet, but I've heard it is a great place. A friend of mine goes there to write his Great American Novel. I believe it is near the Riverwalk.
Unless there's another one by the same name, Madhatters is on Beauregaurd St in King William, just off A. Alamo. It's a few blocks from the King William portion of the Riverwalk, but a longer walk from the main restaurant part of the RW.

They don't have a lot of big comfy chairs, but it *is* a nice place to sit and work, provided you're buying tea of course

Rene also has a new space in the Auditorium Cafe....I can't recall if he's called it something like Madhatter's express or if that's just the description people have used for it. I've not been inside yet, it's just off the Municipal Auditorium.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM

276 posts, read 970,008 times
Wildfire Coffee Roasters on Huebner is excellent. Plus it is owned and operated by locals, and that is always a good thing.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Owl View Post
Wildfire Coffee Roasters on Huebner is excellent. Plus it is owned and operated by locals, and that is always a good thing.
Sing it, Owl. Or maybe I should say, "Hoot it!"

Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,081 times
If you are in the Northwest side of town, Java Connexion on Babcock and DeZavala is a great place to visit. All the baking is done on the premesis, coffee is good, prices are reasonable, and wi-fi is free. Panini Sandwich and smoothies, along with muffins, scones, bars, cookies and soups are available as well.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:32 PM

163 posts, read 311,440 times
I like It's a Grind at Huebner@I10. Free wifi, live music Fri night, a few comfy chairs, mostly tables with wooden chairs, and the patio is nice in good weather. Sometimes the music is a bit loud, and weekdays they close at 9pm, but otherwise no complaints. Oh, the coffee's pretty good too.

It's also a block from Border's in Huebner Oaks which doesn't have free wifi, but has some comfy chairs in the cafe, and scattered throughout. It's also nice just to wander around the shopping center when you get bored of reading. They're open a bit later.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
Grab a coffee or drink anywhere and sit along the southern part of the Riverwalk. Plenty of benches, lovely views and quiet.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:11 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventurous View Post
I like It's a Grind at Huebner@I10. Free wifi, live music Fri night, a few comfy chairs, mostly tables with wooden chairs, and the patio is nice in good weather. Sometimes the music is a bit loud, and weekdays they close at 9pm, but otherwise no complaints. Oh, the coffee's pretty good too.

It's also a block from Border's in Huebner Oaks which doesn't have free wifi, but has some comfy chairs in the cafe, and scattered throughout. It's also nice just to wander around the shopping center when you get bored of reading. They're open a bit later.
It's a Grind! THAT'S IT! That's the one I was trying to think of for my earlier post.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 AM

791 posts, read 3,959,729 times
Like Juneof48, I am also frustrated by the early closing times of many coffeehouses... Olmos Perk still shuts down at 6 on weeknights and 9 on weekends. The Foundry is GREAT but they still haven't figured out that the neighborhood really needs a place open after 1pm. Maybe if they actually did a little marketing they might get more folks in and realize there IS demand.

I do recommend Little Aussie Bakery on Avenue B next to Brackenridge Park. Very comfy, good coffee and interesting people, but they close around 5 or 6 on weekdays. Candlelight is my favorite after-work coffee/reading place... they close around 9 or 10 on weeknights. How I wish we had a place like Kramerbooks in DC - a coffeehouse/indie bookstore that was open until midnight during the week and 24 hours on weekends. It had a little bar too :-)

Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacano View Post
My wife and I would like to find a spot here in SA to go after work and sit and read. Any ideas?
Barnes and Nobles or Borders throughout the city would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio