Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM

278 posts, read 693,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry, but whereas this may be a small victory, is not the lanesplitting bill I had hoped for...

This would not allow you to pass stopped traffic (note the highlighted portion says traffic moving in the same direction) nor would it allow you to move ahead of traffic at stoplights.

It also doesn't allow lanesplitting at speeds of over 20 MPH.

Basically, it is only good for lanesplitting between the speeds of 1-20 MPH...

Cheers! M2
a few points:
the law in CA is similar. i've split going 80 when traffic is going 50 without a ticket.
when traffic is stopped, you would still split between lanes, never on the yellow.
it would allow you to filter to the front a stoplights.

you're reading too much into the word "moving."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
a few points:
the law in CA is similar. i've split going 80 when traffic is going 50 without a ticket.
when traffic is stopped, you would still split between lanes, never on the yellow.
it would allow you to filter to the front a stoplights.

you're reading too much into the word "moving."
First and foremost, this ain't California!

Secondly, the bill explicitly states it is not allowed at speeds of over 20 MPH. I guarantee you that the police will know that, and will cite anyone who is lanesplitting over 20 MPH. Also, if the law does not explicitly state that motorcycles can pass stopped cars at traffic lights, that will be enforced as well.

And thanks for the story about lanesplitting, I've ridden in motorcycles Europe for over nine years, so I am very familiar with the technique...

Old 03-27-2009, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 41,141 times
Quote:

Secondly, the bill explicitly states it is not allowed at speeds of over 20 MPH. I guarantee you that the police will know that, and will cite anyone who is lanesplitting over 20 MPH. Also, if the law does not explicitly state that motorcycles can pass stopped cars at traffic lights, that will be enforced as well.

And thanks for the story about lanesplitting, I've ridden in motorcycles Europe for over nine years, so I am very familiar with the technique...
It doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't lanesplit if traffic was moving at a good pace anyways. And I don't like moving to the front at a traffic light either.
This is perfect for when traffic back up very badly on the highway. I know of a friend who lane splits on the highway when it backs up, especially on I35.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 991 times
Quote:

The bill states that TRAFFIC must be moving 20mph or less, allowing the MC a speed up to 25 mph.

Traffic stopped is congestion, hence allowing the rider to filter foward... the is no statement allowing or prohibiting at a light, doesn't need to be.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:

oh, then its your reading comprehension thats the issue. i know what it says, but im explaining that i dont think theyll ticket anyone for lanesharing going over 25 unless theyre reckless. it also does explicitly say that motorcycles can pass stopped cars: "in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20 miles per hour or less" and yup, stopped means zero mph, and zero is less than 20. you can argue that moving means above zero, but that would be retarded. there is no way to write that sentence without using the words: moving, going, travelling, etc.

and btw, 9 years on a scooter doesnt count. call me when you have something thats 160hp or higher.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
oh, then its your reading comprehension thats the issue. i know what it says, but im explaining that i dont think theyll ticket anyone for lanesharing going over 25 unless theyre reckless. it also does explicitly say that motorcycles can pass stopped cars: "in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20 miles per hour or less" and yup, stopped means zero mph, and zero is less than 20. you can argue that moving means above zero, but that would be retarded. there is no way to write that sentence without using the words: moving, going, travelling, etc.

and btw, 9 years on a scooter doesnt count. call me when you have something thats 160hp or higher.
No, I've read the law, and I am educated enough to understand it. It is you who is having a hard time comprehending between moving and stopped...

And it isn't that hard to include the words "moving or stopped" in the bill; but I guess for some it is difficult to understand. Can you guess who I am talking about?!?

Lastly, I have probably been riding longer than you have been on this planet, and owned more motorcycles than you can name, and one of which that I currently have is over 160 HP. But I have already concluded that you are more opinion that fact on basically every topic you post on, so you ignorance is becoming well known on this forum...

Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
No, I've read the law, and I am educated enough to understand it. It is you who is having a hard time comprehending between moving and stopped...

And it isn't that hard to include the words "moving or stopped" in the bill; but I guess for some it is difficult to understand. Can you guess who I am talking about?!?

Lastly, I have probably been riding longer than you have been on this planet, and owned more motorcycles than you can name, and one of which that I currently have is over 160 HP. But I have already concluded that you are more opinion that fact on basically every topic you post on, so you ignorance is becoming well known on this forum...
seems im done with this one too. if you honestly believe that this bill will prevent you from filtering forward when traffic is stopped, then youre either retarded or just arguing for the sake of hearing your own hamster-wheel squeak. in fact, ill even wager the pink slip of one of my bikes against yours that this bill will allow you to do as ive described.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Good riddance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio