Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times

Advertisements

It's totally over-rated, just as Chris Madrid's and Earl Abel's are. In my lowly opinion. And I still really don't like the way that biker dude copped his 'tude with me. Jerk. (i know, txtrkgrl knows him, but he seriously needs to chill--he left a really bad impression)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Unfortunately, they were closed a while back when we went. We'd spent a day at the zoo. Been many years since going there. Think they close on a weekday.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
One thing I found out about Tip Top, they don't take credit cards. Bring cash!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It's totally over-rated, just as Chris Madrid's and Earl Abel's are. In my lowly opinion. And I still really don't like the way that biker dude copped his 'tude with me. Jerk. (i know, txtrkgrl knows him, but he seriously needs to chill--he left a really bad impression)
haha. I had a talk with him about this.
I can definitely see where he can be rude, he is a "don't give a *****" kinda guy. I told him that in his line of business he should really be nicer to customers. He felt bad that you felt that way.

I haven't seen him since May, he was moving back to Hawaii at that time.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It's totally over-rated, just as Chris Madrid's and Earl Abel's are
I agree, we ate at Tip Top once and all of us found it less than impressive. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the experience some claimed it was...

But to each their own!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I agree, we ate at Tip Top once and all of us found it less than impressive. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't the experience some claimed it was...

But to each their own!

Cheers! M2
I've only been to TipTop a couple of times and I agree with you.

But now, I MUST ask and don't mean to offend but we can't figure out the hype about El Chaparel in Helotes. The last five times or so we have been there the service was horrible and the food is nothing to write home about and over priced. The food is good but there is a little mexican place in Bandera that blows El Chaperal out of the water.
When we drive by there and see all the cars we always wonder why??

Have we just had bad experiences five times in a row?? Have you ever had a bad experience there? Just curious?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:38 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Y'know, there's just something about el Chapparal that appeals to us. Maybe because most of the Tex-Mex I eat is from the one-step-above-a-fastfood Taquería joints along Military Highway; but every experience we've had has been good. The food's been good, service good, and the atmosphere good. However, it helps to get their early and out before the mad rush begins.

That said, we don't really eat there that often; mainly when we've got company in town. Lately I've preferred to go to Floore's Country Store. I've even backed off on my trips to Bobby J's, as I have been making a concentrated effort to eat better; and when I do "indulge" I like to try someplace new, like Bracken Store Cafe.

Cheers! M2

Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 PM

39 posts, read 97,475 times
Quote:
Have we just had bad experiences five times in a row?? Have you ever had a bad experience there? Just curious?
Yes - once several years ago - the service was H O R R I B L E - but I let them know about it. I got a complementary dessert.

But usually the service is excellent and the fajitas, enchiladas and tortilla soup are the best. Breakfast? not so much.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Y'know, there's just something about el Chapparal that appeals to us. Maybe because most of the Tex-Mex I eat is from the one-step-above-a-fastfood Taquería joints along Military Highway; but every experience we've had has been good. The food's been good, service good, and the atmosphere good. However, it helps to get their early and out before the mad rush begins.

That said, we don't really eat there that often; mainly when we've got company in town. Lately I've preferred to go to Floore's Country Store. I've even backed off on my trips to Bobby J's, as I have been making a concentrated effort to eat better; and when I do "indulge" I like to try someplace new, like Bracken Store Cafe.

Cheers! M2
haha, I can totally understand after eating at the Taqueria's along Military. I've never been to Flores to eat. Will have to check it out.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
haha. I had a talk with him about this.
I can definitely see where he can be rude, he is a "don't give a *****" kinda guy. I told him that in his line of business he should really be nicer to customers. He felt bad that you felt that way.

I haven't seen him since May, he was moving back to Hawaii at that time.
Awww, now I feel bad that I made him feel bad. LOL but I still just wasn't impressed enough with the food to make an effort to go back. Not BAD, just not GREAT like it was made out to be.

Hawaii? pssshhh, I don't feel that bad. LOL lucky *******.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio