Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:10 PM

330 posts, read 933,055 times

Advertisements

I happened to see this restaurant on Diners, Drive-in's and Dives and found out it is located on Fredericksburg Rd ... I like your opinions, is it really as good as they say it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 PM

49 posts, read 138,808 times
I've been here a couple of times and both times I wasn't impressed. I always want it to be great, but it never makes it for me. The last time I went, I had the chicken fried steak, it was ok. I thought it was lacking a lot of flavor and the mashed potatoes taste like the boxed variety :-(

Maybe I'll venture back and try their enchiladas...

I think overall, the food is ok, but nothing to make a special trip.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,825,970 times
It's special to me. It's one of those neighborhood dives with good food. Going with family or friends makes the food better. The onion rings are legendary. The food is good, and the ambiance (sorta) makes it more fun. And best of all it's not expensive.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM

199 posts, read 660,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
It's special to me. It's one of those neighborhood dives with good food. Going with family or friends makes the food better. The onion rings are legendary. The food is good, and the ambiance (sorta) makes it more fun. And best of all it's not expensive.
I 100% completely agree with this statement!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM

556 posts, read 2,081,591 times
I laughed when I saw this thread - we JUST got home from our first try at Tip-Top tonight! We too have seen it featured a couple of times on Diners Drive-ins & Dives.......

(2) Chicken Fried Steak - GOOD
Crinkle Cut French Fries - Hot and crisp
Fried Shrimp & Oyster Combo - GOOD
Turkey Burger - won't do this one again - but the fries were GOOD

Four of us ate the above with ice tea and our bill was $46.

We should have ordered the onion rings - which looked SUPER as plate after plate of them passed our table headed to other diners tables ;o)

It was very busy when we arrived - you wait outside on the front sidewalk if there isn't room inside - but seating happened pretty quickly. The inside seemed much smaller to us than depicted on Diners-Drive-ins & Dives.......

Lots of staff on hand to keep your tea glass full and our server was a very kind lady, who in her free time, is likely an amazing grandmother to some very lucky grandkids!

They were out of the Roasted Pork - so we'll go back to give that a try, since it looks so delicious on tv! It's on the other side of town from us - so we likely won't get to go often enough to consider it 'special' - but I can see why it is to those living near the location!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:54 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,595,042 times
I like it - it reminds me a little of the cafe in my hometown. Closer than anyplace else here anyway.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM

330 posts, read 933,055 times
Thank you for all your info. I guess it's one of those places that if your in the area you have to try it out!!

Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,163,040 times
It's a trip back to a less stressful time (1938) coupled with good to very good food (depending on your tastes) plus the nostalgia. Been there several times and have never been disappointed. (Sometimes I don't like the wait however).

Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 AM

778 posts, read 2,494,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post

Lots of staff on hand to keep your tea glass full and our server was a very kind lady, who in her free time, is likely an amazing grandmother to some very lucky grandkids!
Was it the grandma lady that looked like Bill Parcels, but perhaps smaller boobs?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,288,471 times
ha ha, this topic again

the chicken fried steak is good, but the food is not a thing like Guy made it out to be on DD@D's. I went to it the day after that episode aired and there were a couple other people in line that did the same thing. I can't see a reason to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio