Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,137 times

Advertisements

I am sorry ... please be patient. Yes, I visited the relocation sticky. Yes, I read through many very useful threads and posts - Thanks to all for the data.
Given that, I must submit my own thread as my relocation interests are different than many others.

My wife and I are planning our escape from the "Maytag Freezer" that is Milwaukee. Too cold, too highly taxed (1100 sq. foot home - $3100/yr property taxes and my suburban road does not get plowed until 24 hours after the snow has stopped - no town politicians on my road), too many jobs and folks evacuating Wisconsin and Too Much Packers/Brewers 24/7.

Kids are college-aged, so just me and the wife. Our work is Internet-based, so no need to be close to work. We do want a quieter area where the streets are not the community playground. Looking for areas of 3 beds 2 baths 2-car garages maybe 1500 square feet for $225,000? Gated communities are not important - sometimes they just serve to attract the jerks in life. The time I have spent in SA have been along the Riverwalk.

Yes, I know SA is hot and humid, my wife and I spent 5 years in various parts of Louisiana and 5 years in Las Vegas - so we have "enjoyed" the best of both "hot" and "humid."

Our employment background is in banking, particularly underwriting and mortgage fraud analysis. I, also, teach business management classes at a local college and am Internet-teaching certified. I would not mind teaching at community colleges in the area. (my college background is in Geology - yeah, I know Geology does not = bank underwriting - long story best listened to in the company of cold beer and Buffalo wings)

So ................ with my long-winded babbling done, looking for a 40s+ bedroom community where we can enjoy our backyard without having to listen to the kids scream for Mommy in the street out front. (We lived with that for 4 years in Las Vegas after buying the rich house in what we thought was the richer neighborhood - turns out the folks from Hawaii bought dozens of rentals and turned them over to the "trailer park crowd."

(If you need the rundown on Vegas, Milwaukee, Louisiana, or Pennsylvania - just let me know - we have moved a lot)

...... yes, my pacemaker batteries died so I am shutting up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I moved from Wisconsin to SA, so I know you could be happy here. You can also easily find that size of house for that amount of money.

I would recommend touring different parts of town to find one that suits you. You might be happiest in a gated community that doesn't have a play area or community center, as those are least attractive to families with kids.

You will also pay more than $3100 in property taxes on a $225,000 house in Texas, but Texas has no state income tax.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdInMilwaukee View Post
So ................ with my long-winded babbling done, looking for a 40s+ bedroom community where we can enjoy our backyard without having to listen to the kids scream for Mommy in the street out front. (We lived with that for 4 years in Las Vegas after buying the rich house in what we thought was the richer neighborhood - turns out the folks from Hawaii bought dozens of rentals and turned them over to the "trailer park crowd."
Cutting the fat away from his/her post, I think this is the priority that they are looking for. Not sure that many folks will be able to help, as most of us are family types. Good luck with it though.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
You might try Hill Country Retreat (by Del Webb) in Alamo Ranch. It is gated with lots of amenities and one of you must be 55. Prices start at $160K (1393SF for 2 bedroom and 2 bath) and go up from there. I think the HOA fee is $1,200/year, but I could be wrong. Here is the website:

Del Webb - Hill Country Retreat (http://www.delwebb.com/Homefinder/HomeModelListing.aspx?ID=100506 - broken link)

And as Bowie said property taxes can be high (2-3%) depending if you live in the city or in the county.

Good Luck

Old 02-15-2009, 03:35 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
The Hill Country Retreat is also very close to Northwest Vista College, where you might be able to teach Geology. It's one of the Alamo Community Colleges. Northwest Vista College Good luck in your search, from one cheesehead to another.

I was born in Madison, but only lived there for 9 months, so my cheese didn't age.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,137 times
Many Thanks to all. Sadly, neither my wife or I are eligible for McDonald's senior coffee yet. While in Vegas 10 years ago, we looked at Del Webb developments and thought they were over-priced for what you got. but, what do I know. Again, Thanks for the information.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 PM

26 posts, read 93,761 times
Default Welcome to San Antonio!

San Antonio has many great areas that will fit your criteria. I love our neighborhood and we are in the 1604/35 area. This is about 5 minutes from 1604/35/281. You are close to Stone Oak area (without the traffic), Rolling Oaks Mall, Live Oak, The Forum and on a nice day a little trip to New Braunsfels (15 min).
It is an older home, however my bedrooms are larger than the box houses they are building and we have mature trees. Going price is about 120 thousand, but in this market I am sure there are deals to be found. We had a real estate agent, a good map and drove around to check out the neighborhoods.
There are so many things to do in and around South Texas and I wish you the best of luck and happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio