Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 28,294 times

Advertisements

Looking around - planning late - most venues are already taken...

Want something elegant and comfortable for 150 people after 7 PM.
Since I'm looking for July, air conditioning is a must!

Seeking to avoid a McWedding location or a steel and glass style.

Dream location would be a large limestone San Antonio mansion with gardens and a homey feel.

Pluses would be:
Beautiful architecture or design
Historic aspects
Outdoor grounds or nature elements
A Spanish feel or German feel
A big kitchen for the caterer

Already looking at downtown hotels, north side golf clubs, Scottish Rite auditorium, Red Berry Mansion and the Convent.

Los Patios would have been great but I'm nervous about their caterer.
Woodward House would be nice but it is awkward without a lawn.
Spanish Governor's mansion would be perfect but for the fact we are talking peak summer temperatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaDurmiente View Post
Looking around - planning late - most venues are already taken...

Want something elegant and comfortable for 150 people after 7 PM.
Since I'm looking for July, air conditioning is a must!

Seeking to avoid a McWedding location or a steel and glass style.

Dream location would be a large limestone San Antonio mansion with gardens and a homey feel.

Pluses would be:
Beautiful architecture or design
Historic aspects
Outdoor grounds or nature elements
A Spanish feel or German feel
A big kitchen for the caterer

Already looking at downtown hotels, north side golf clubs, Scottish Rite auditorium, Red Berry Mansion and the Convent.

Los Patios would have been great but I'm nervous about their caterer.
Woodward House would be nice but it is awkward without a lawn.
Spanish Governor's mansion would be perfect but for the fact we are talking peak summer temperatures.
Not sure what these places have to offer regarding an indoor venue, but here's what popped to mind:
San Antonio Missions
Botanical Gardens
Witte Museum
and check out VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) it's a listing of vacation rentals, some of which are very elegant and elaborate homesteads...

Good luck

Old 02-16-2009, 06:45 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
I would recommend the McNay. It has elaborate and beautiful grounds, it's Spanish architecture, it's history, it's artistic...I can keep going, but you get the idea.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM

409 posts, read 1,560,987 times
I went to a beautiful old house for a wedding a few years ago--before Imoved here! I'll aske the bride and respond again!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Thanks!

I love the McNay; it was my first choice but it is taken for my date.

And, I'm very interested in whatever old house that bride used!

Thanks to you both!

Valerie

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM

OK, she responded! It's the Koehler House. I don't post often and don't remember the rules but you can google the name and find the link. I don't know if I can post it! Sorry! I jsut remember it was gorgeous! We sat out on the porch overlooking the lawn! It's part of San Antonio College and a Historical Landmark. Best wishes! Hope this is helpful-you'll find the perfect place!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
Ooh, the Koehler house is NEAT. I drive by it every day on my way to school. It's on Ashby and Belknap. The Koehlers owned the Pearl Brewery; apparently Mr. Koehler had the house situated in such a way on the lot so that he could sit on the porch and see all the way to the brewery; apparently he was able to determine what they were doing down there based on the color of the smoke coming from the chimneys.

I think that would be a really neat place to get married.

Also! It just dawned on me - have you looked at the Southwest Center for Art and Craft? That is the old Ursuline Convent grounds, is on the river, and is also just beautiful. The architecture is German-influenced Texas Limestone.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks to all! This is very helpful!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:28 PM

103 posts, read 489,607 times
Oh wow.. I LOVE the Koehler Cultural Center . I am getting married in July too and we still have yet to find a place. I am pretty open to moving my dates around though. I am trying to think outside of the box for places but I am running out of ideas. This thread has been helpful

Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM

So glad I could help! I jus tremembered it being so lovely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio