Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 PM

204 posts, read 940,378 times

Advertisements

How can you even think of new channels with the pandemonium that will ensue after the switch? I have 3 years worth of canned goods, bottled water, and ammo stocked in the basement right now in anticipation of this event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I would guess most TVs sold in the last couple of years that were equipped with a digital tuner also have a QAM tuner. You should be able to look in the back of the manual that came with the TV where it lists the specifications for the TV.

For example, my mom recently got a small flat-screen HDTV for the kitchen. She has Time Warner cable, but no set-top boxes. The coax cable coming out of the wall just plugs directly into the TVs. The new set she got has a QAM tuner, and she gets the local HDTV channels (WOAI, KENS, KLRN, KSAT, etc.), in addition to at least some of the digital sub-channels. The older TV set she has doesn't get these channels.

I don't think Time Warner advertises this feature, for obvious reasons. Just be aware that you won't get the other HDTV channels (like TNT, USA, A&E, etc.) without the high-definition set-top box, you'll only get the standard definition versions.

And as for AT&T U-verse, you need a set-top box to feed any TV you want their service on.
Thanks! Now that you mention it, when I had TWC we had an upstairs set that didn't have a set-top box. Thus, no HD and no PPV but it got all of the TWC channels. That was an older TV - at least 7-9 yrs old, And now that we have ATT I recall being required to have the box for the upstairs set - but I'm not thinking they charge any extra for it.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
How would one know if the set has a QAM tuner? I certainly don't expect ATT or TWC to advertise that I don't need to pay for their stikin' boxes! And what would you do, just plug the cable into the set? Any harm in doing that just to see what happens?
QAM would be listed in the specifications. In my opinion, it's a must-have feature.

Even if it does, you'll only get the channels that are sent unscrambled over the cable in Clear QAM. In most places, that is the local broadcasters and not much else.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
KSAT's sub channel 12.3???? Just HOW do we dial/punch that baby in?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
KSAT's sub channel 12.3???? Just HOW do we dial/punch that baby in?
12.3 is broadcasting a signal, but no programming yet. IOW, it's currently just a blank screen. They were supposed to start broadcasting .2 Network on that sub-channel in December, but the .2 Network launch has been delayed.

WOAI was doing the same thing with 4.3 for a while (broadcasting a signal, but no programming), but that sub-channel is now gone. Don't know what that one was all about.

Right now, with the digital transition and the eleventh hour delay, It's hard to say what kind of and how many sub-channels we're going to end up with. When analog broadcasts finally cease in June (hopefully), we should be getting a better picture (no pun intended).

Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
I bought my converter box almost a year ago and one look at the instruction page and it hasnt moved at all from the closet i dumped it in. I'm just here waiting for it to plug itself in . The government should send someone over to all the houses who need someone to plug in the device.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,412 times
o.k. I do have the KLRN sub channels. so I guess more will be popping up soon?

and 12.3 is just a blank screen. where can I see that blank screen? what channel....pretty confusing..LOL

Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Right now, you need to have a digital tuner and an antenna to see 12.3, but all I see right now is a blank screen with a signal strength meter that shows it is broadcasting a strong signal. Since there is no programming yet, you won't see a thing on Cable TV. I'm sure the local pay TV services will add it and assign a channel number once it gets going with some actual programming. If you go to .2 Network's website, you will see KSAT listed as one of their affiliates. Since KSAT already assigned their .2 sub-channel to LATV, their .2 Network programming (named for the presumed sub-channel assignment of .2) will be on their .3 sub-channel.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
There will be a new channel broadcasting called CPTV (Cool Peoples TV). Digital only, so you either need a decent TV or one of those boxes to watch. That's how it gets the name - there's no analog signal so only cool people can see it. Can't mention the programming... word would get around if I did.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 AM

898 posts, read 2,894,412 times
here is a network that el paso and austin already have, I hope we get it.

www.myretrotv.com/index2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio