Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 AM

68 posts, read 272,901 times

Advertisements

We're working on trimming our budget, and shaving off a big portion on groceries. A few people have suggested buying our meat from a "Mexican Meat Market"...is this a good option? Is it still good quality? Inexpensive? I've never really looked into it before. In Tampa we used to buy some things at a little Cuban market right off the base, and I liked it a lot...but I've never bought meat anywhere but the grocery store...Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:30 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,038 times
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to search for a phrase, but there's been much discussion of "Culebra Meat Market"s on this forum. But a search doesn't really help. Maybe someone will link it. Consensus seemed to be that some folks liked some of them and some folks didn't like any. There a chain of meat markets around here.

Others seemed to think buying bulk from Costco or Sams did the trick.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I feed a small family, so buying a few family packs of chicken, a handfull of ground beef/turkey, a couple of pork loins, and a few good steaks from HEB each month is my idea of buying in bulk!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I can only tell you that I went into the Culebra Meat Market on Potranco Rd, and while it seems to be busy, I would not purchase meat from there. In fairness, it was a while ago, but at that time it was not the type of place that I would purchase meat from and have not been back....just kinda creepy...not the type of sparkling clean place you would expect from a butcher.

I think Costco in bulk, Sam's in bulk or even going to HEB based on their "special's of the week" would be good. You can also see if you have several families with freezer space interested in buying and having butchered in bulk from a meat market.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Or you could cut back on meat consumption. Most people eat way too much meat anyway. That's just a suggestion based on zero knowledge of anyones particular eating habits. In general most people would benefit from cutting there meat by 50% and replacing that with plant based, unprocessed, food.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 AM

141 posts, read 564,657 times
All I know there is alot of the Culebra Meat Markets around town. some in the west side, south side, and one in the North side by Madison HS I think.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:26 AM

67 posts, read 275,016 times
I go the Culebra Meat Market on Nacogdoches near O'Connor & have had no problems there. They get their deliveries on Thursday. Always fresh and a good value.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Has anyone been to the La Michoacana (sp?) meat market on--um, well, it's sort of off Evers Road, near that godawful $1 theater by the Sam's and the Wal-Mart off 410 and (I think) Summit Parkway? It's rather large and looks like it might be interesting.....I know they have those in Houston, if it is part of that chain.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:12 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Has anyone been to the La Michoacana (sp?) meat market on--um, well, it's sort of off Evers Road, near that godawful $1 theater by the Sam's and the Wal-Mart off 410 and (I think) Summit Parkway? It's rather large and looks like it might be interesting.....I know they have those in Houston, if it is part of that chain.

Michoacana is cleaner than culebra meat markets. I dont like how the CMM's owners handle their workers, and between us, one time when I was delivering soda, the owner was chewing out the butcher for throwing out rancid meat, his quotes were (translated) "Marinate that!, next time I catch you throwing away meat its comming off your paycheck!" and this was off the one on 1957/potranco.

and to add insult to injury yesterday I stopped by to buy some meat, the butcher shook some dude's hand and proceeded to cut my meat grosss!!! I gave him a break, because the germs were going to die in the grill anyway!.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
and between us, one time when I was delivering soda, the owner was chewing out the butcher for throwing out rancid meat, his quotes were (translated) "Marinate that!, next time I catch you throwing away meat its comming off your paycheck!" and this was off the one on 1957/potranco.

a
I promise, I won't tell a soul!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,488,200 times
i agree with the Sam's route --- I have started buying my meat there and it's coming out to apx. $1.20 less a pound ... i bought 5lbs of lean ground beef and just came home and seperated it out into 1lb pieces...

actually, i have started buying everything I can at Sam's --- in another post i wrote that i never believed in the buying in bulk thing --- but we are a family of 5 and with the kids getting older they are eating more so i figured i would give it a chance...

omg...i really am saving quite a bit --- what i did was wait until i needed alot of groceries and then i just went to Sam's and bought everything i needed...that first time sticker shock was something i just had to get over, i paid about $400 the first time to get us started --- now i go to Sam's every Friday, without fail, and i only replenish what i need --- i am leaving every week spending less than $100, actually, it is more like $75 --- this past Friday my Sam's bill was only $56 and that included me buying socks and slippers...my actual food bill was much less...

i was finding that i was spending about $250-$275 everytime i went to the grocery store every 2 weeks or so, and that was with coupons...now i am spending less than $400 a month on groceries...

the milk at Sam's is a dollar less a gallon, you can get 3lbs of bannana for about $1.20, 1lb of organic salad for about $3.00 .... it starts adding up pretty quickly...

good luck ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio