Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times

Advertisements

Note the Mountain Laurel tree produces a seed pod that will eventually harden to "Mescal Beans". As a kid we used to crack the pods open and collect the red seeds. They are bright red and hard as a rock! If you rub one really fast against concrete or a rock and touch it to your skin it's very hot! That was a childhood prank we used to pull all the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 12:18 AM

260 posts, read 1,144,806 times
I think it is the redbud. I took a closer look today. I'm off to a nursery tomorrow to find one. Maybe even HEB plus will have them. Didn't find them at Home Depot today. Thanks for all the advice.

I'll take the new 1604 to get there. Should be interesting.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Both Mountain Laurels and Wisteria are in bloom right now. Wisteria will bloom twice, once in the spring and again in the fall.
I love both. I think the Wisteria has a more pungent smell...I still like it...outside.
I'm going to go check out Incarnate Word's tree.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
I think it is the redbud. I took a closer look today. I'm off to a nursery tomorrow to find one. Maybe even HEB plus will have them. Didn't find them at Home Depot today. Thanks for all the advice.

I'll take the new 1604 to get there. Should be interesting.
AFD.....let us know what you find out! The redbuds are gorgeous right now too. The name is deceiving because the blossom is more of a hot pinkish purple. I suppose the little buds are more "red" before they bloom.

I wish all of them stayed in bloom for a long time! I just moved, and the property is very wooded and shady. I was so happily surprised to see tons of Mountain Laurels in bloom about two weeks ago. There are a few Redbuds, but they do better in full sun and are not so prolific where I am. But I'll take green anything.....I've been living in a concrete jungle too long!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,901 times
The redbuds were in stock at Lowes 2 weeks ago but not so much now. Right now they finally got in their TX Mtn Laurels which I am dying for! They have a redbud tree that I got at Lowes though that's really different. It's a weeping variety that has a zig zag trunk. I have a thing for weeping trees, we planted a weeping cherry 2 weeks ago and it's doing great! I have such and obsession with trees, I wonder how many I can fit on a .2 acre lot?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/119653/

Old 03-20-2007, 11:19 PM

260 posts, read 1,144,806 times
Beautiful photo of the weeping redbud.
I found one ( non weeping variety) at HEB plus for 40 something bucks. There were only a few left, but mine was a nice specimen. Guess I lucked out.

If you haven't seen the nectarine tree bloom, they've got some beautiful pink medium size flowers and very green leaves. I think they're fragrant too, although I've forgotten. It's something to consider, and they're hardy (to -10 F). Plus, they're only like 15 dollars for a small one.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 10,173 times
Default Purple Flowering Tree

Hello! While I was out driving one day I saw the most beautiful purple flowering tree. I have a picture of it, if you would like to see it. Just ask!

Just me.
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
Attached Thumbnails
What are those Purple Trees with purple flowers here in S.A.?-tree-baby-002-small-.jpg  

Old 03-22-2008, 03:57 PM

80 posts, read 333,938 times
might also be the Jacaranda tree.... there are quite a few up where I live and I love them .... this site shows more info on them:
Monrovia - JACARANDA

Old 03-23-2008, 11:43 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times
We have four crepe myrtles, at least 25ft tall on the side of our house. It's true they make a huge 'mess', but as we have no grass along that stretch it's not a big deal to us. Last year they were truly stunning, they bloomed all summer. In the 2 years prior we were in this house they only bloomed once (we don't water - we rely on nature to do what it wants).

No Mountain Laurels on our property, but loads in the neighborhood, and I agree, they're stunning right now.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 9,635 times
Jacaranda trees are everywhere here in SoCal and have nearly completed their blooming cycle for the season. We can now park under them without being bombarded by the sticky, purple flowers. ([url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacaranda]Jacaranda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url])

They are quite a site when in full bloom, aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: