Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,713 times

Advertisements

Are you getting it ready now? When do you start and what do you do?
Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,644,914 times
One more freeze then we're set to go. You know there's going to be one more freeze.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,946,932 times
To get the soil ready, I put down some mounds of compost and fertilizer about 2 weeks ago. The tomato plants will go in as soon as they are available at the place I buy them from.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM

317 posts, read 1,745,789 times
This is our first year trying a vegetable garden. We are still in the planning stages and hope we will have our beds made and ready to start in three weeks.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,732,990 times
Already started. The raspberries and blackberries have big buds that should start flowering within a few weeks, and the new canes for the year are already coming up. I think they'll grow 4 feet or so at least. The 2008 canes aren't that tall but have a lot of buds so it should be a pretty good crop this year.

I'm searching for blueberries - anyone see them at Lowes or any of the plant places around?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM

123 posts, read 449,131 times
I actually kept a garden going all winter long. We moved here last June from Kansas City, so I am just thrilled. I would rub it in every time my mom called from Ohio this winter. I planted straight into flower beds along the back of our house, which is the south side. Our backyard is fenced, so with being close to the house and keeping the wind off, I would say the garden area wasn't freezing even when the temps were truly freezing. That said, there were 1/2 dozen nights through the winter that I threw towels/sheets over the plants. I had tomatoes ripening on the vine, peppers (mild and hot), broccoli (just pulled the plants), peas, onions, basil, oregano and lettuce all winter long. So, while I have full grown tomato and pepper plants with blooms, I'm hoping they'll last through the spring, and I do plan on putting in cucumbers and whatever else looks good at the garden center as soon as they're out.

Betsy

Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 PM

554 posts, read 2,298,469 times
We already have cabbage, lettuce, onions, and broccoli growing. We just planted a tomato plant and peppers.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 PM

181 posts, read 608,957 times
Can anyone recommend a good 'how to grow a garden in San Antonio 101' garden site/resource? We're not from here but would really like to try a raised garden this year. That said. We're not really even sure how to build the boxes. We need a very, very basic class I think.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,874,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTexas View Post
Can anyone recommend a good 'how to grow a garden in San Antonio 101' garden site/resource? We're not from here but would really like to try a raised garden this year. That said. We're not really even sure how to build the boxes. We need a very, very basic class I think.
I love Rainbow Gardens! They have very detailed info on every plant they sell--sort of like an encylopedia page for everything! They are all really knowledgeable. I go to the one on Bandera Road......sometimes just to browse because it's so enjoyable there.

Introduction (http://www.rainbowgardens.biz/introduction.htm - broken link)

Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,644,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTexas View Post
Yes. Take a class with the "hill country gardener"

Introduction to The Hill Country Gardener

Thursday, March 5, 2009, "ABCs of Gardening Here; It Ain't Like It Was
Back Home"
, Community Learning Center, Tesoro Drive, San Antonio, 6:30 -
8:30 pm. To register for the class, contact www.communityed.neisd.net

Monday, March 9, 2009, "Square Foot Gardening, Saving Water, Effort,
Space, and Time with"
, Boerne Community Center, Adler Road, 1:30 - 3:30 pm.
To register, contact www.clubed.net

Reps can be sent to: TEXASNICK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio