Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times

Advertisements

Newspapers are out.

As for the poster who is mad about who they supported they were right two out of three times. I really don't remember where they endorsed McCain though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,799 times
Default Republican Paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
GOOD!
The Express News has always been a Republican rag in San Antonio. It should just tank already.
Republican Paper? Hmmm... I don't think so. Just mention the word "gun" to any of their editorial staff and they start to froth at the mouth and writhe on the floor in Liberal Democrat agony.

911 = Dial a Prayer. It's not the police department's job to protect your home and family. When the home invaders are crashing through your front door, just ask them to please wait a few minutes while you call the police or rush to Academy Sports and buy a home-defense firearm.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
yuck, i was hoping this wouldnt turn into ANOTHER conservative vs liberal thing - The POINT is people are losing their jobs, and they are NOT the ones who write the articles.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Newspapers are out.
Newspapers are best suited for their editorials, but I do agree that nothing printed on paper cannot be posted online.

Unfortunately news papers across the country are tanking. The Detroit News and Free Press papers reduced their services to only a couple times a week and laid off more than 200 workers in December, if memory serves me right. This is a result of the need for instant info, and not yesterday's news, making it impossible for the newspapers to compete.

Quote:
As for the poster who is mad about who they supported they were right two out of three times. I really don't remember where they endorsed McCain though.
While I agree 100% with Montirob's post, the EN did endorse McCain:
Editorial: McCain is the best choice for president (http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/McCain_is_the_best_choice_for_president.html - broken link)

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Newspapers are out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
Newspapers are best suited for their editorials, but I do agree that nothing printed on paper cannot be posted online.

Unfortunately news papers across the country are tanking. The Detroit News and Free Press papers reduced their services to only a couple times a week and laid off more than 200 workers in December, if memory serves me right. This is a result of the need for instant info, and not yesterday's news, making it impossible for the newspapers to compete.
I heard a newspaper industry expert explain the other day that US newspapers on average make 9x more ad revenue from the newspaper than from publishing news on the web. People like free news, but the people who produce that news at a newspaper need to be paid and they also use things like offices, computers and telephones that cost real money. The dead-tree version of the newspaper and the revenue it generates can't go away without a lot of people who work for the newspaper losing their jobs.

Last edited by Bo; 02-26-2009 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: added second quote to make reply direction clearer :)

Old 02-26-2009, 12:36 PM

199 posts, read 663,344 times
I heard the San Francisco newspaper is close to going out of business. This would make it the largest metropolitan market without a newspaper.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
The Rocky Mountain News, Denver's main newspaper will have its final print Friday.

Rocky Mountain News to close, publish final edition Friday : Rocky for sale : The Rocky Mountain News

Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM

79 posts, read 318,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifikate View Post
I heard the San Francisco newspaper is close to going out of business. This would make it the largest metropolitan market without a newspaper.
You are correct, the threat of closing the "San Francisco Chronicle" is very real. Hearst, which also owns the "San Antonio Express-News," has (as a first step) called for drastic cuts, including lay offs across the board, to control expenses. The paper lost $50 million in 2008 and is on track to lose even more in 2009. If expenses are not kept in check Hearst plans to try and sell the paper. If a buyer is not found the Chronicle will cease publication.

Ironically, the web portal (San Francisco Bay Area — News, Sports, Business, Entertainment, Classifieds: SFGate) is very popular (a top 10 online news source in the US), although I am not sure if it acutally makes money. The success of the web site is directly affected by what happens to the paper. A majority of its content is directly taken from the writers at the Chronicle.

Hearst already has "Seattle Post-Intelliger" on the market and that paper will probably close since there are no buyers out there willing to take the risk.

The worst part of the E-N layoffs is that content will be shared with and contributed by the "Houston Chronicle," another Hearst paper. This will only dilute the product and reduce the local coverage. Will this lead to an eventual merger of the two? Who knows, but I would not be suprised to see a regional newspaper as a possibility. Are you ready for the "Houston-San Antonio Express-News-Chronicle?"

Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebrg View Post
The worst part of the E-N layoffs is that content will be shared with and contributed by the "Houston Chronicle," another Hearst paper. This will only dilute the product and reduce the local coverage. Will this lead to an eventual merger of the two? Who knows, but I would not be suprised to see a regional newspaper as a possibility. Are you ready for the "Houston-San Antonio Express-News-Chronicle?"
I have heard that some more of that combining of resources is in the works. My source also says the physical size of the pages will soon be reduced.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Seriously considering stopping the home delivery...except for Sundays....LOVE to have a Sunday paper with my coffee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio