Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times

Advertisements

And your experience and production proves it out, kev! Somebody who has been in the business for say ~ a year or so ~ probably doesn't have the experience to realize how counterproductive looking at that many homes can be. As well as income limiting for the agent AND the client! (If they're out looking at 80 houses, the buyer has to take an awfully lot of time off work and the agent can't be out working with other clients. It hits 'em both.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Yeah. It wasn't meant as a slam. Just things I've learned after being in the business. The more homes you see, the harder it gets for the buyer.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM

19 posts, read 70,803 times
80 homes may be an extreme example - that we can agree on. I do agree that seeing many homes can sometimes cloud your picture of what it is your looking for (most people start to play "if I could have that kitchen with that backyard with those light fixtures with that neighbor..." game in their heads).

I have seen some agents tend to write off a client who wants to see too many homes and that's what I don't like. Of course, as an agent, you have to know when to rethink where your client is at in the search process, but I overheard an agent just the other day say that they took their clients out on Saturday and Sunday and they were exasperated that the client didn't pick a home. Not everyone buys in a weekend (I took two days to find my home in San Antonio thanks to an awesome agent when I moved here).

There's a definite difference between someone "just looking" and someone "looking for what they want" - regardless of the number of homes they view. That's why most real estate agents wind up as junior psychologists.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Here is a suggestion... if you see an agent that seems to be listing every home there... don't choose them as they are likely too busy to handle yours. get someone with experience but one that isnt swamped...ideally someone that has recently sold their listings and is ready for more.

I find agents that are so busy do crappy work with listings and promotion... I support that by saying look at their MLS listings and see how many blank spaces there are... are the schools filled out? room sizes, are there 10 pictures, will they do a virtual tour. These are some things I would pay attention to. I can tell you soemtimes its the oddest things we search for and an incomplete listing might actually be the one I want but with no way of knowing. and with 23,000 homes in the MLS I can't look at them all.
Make sure they listen to you and seem to respond well to you.
Best of Luck

Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Nice of you to come on a board (in a completely different town) slamming people in your industry. There are bad and good people in every career path.

There are big listing agents that are good with buyers, and some that aren't. Your blanket statements wreak of envy of those successful in your field. If they've got a lot of listings, did they get them by being bad Realtors, or good ones? Do they have teams to assist them? Blanket statements like yours are ignorant.

If you're pandering for business A) do it in your own town and B) it's not usually effective to slam others to get it. And you come across much more intelligent if you use proper grammar (or at least semi-proper).

I feel sure the OP got the assistance they need. Thanks for chiming in though. Back to the beach with you!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:02 PM

197 posts, read 605,162 times
Can someone DM me a patient realtor name or link for the Spring Branch area? I'm super picky too, and will require a patient person.

We're making the move in roughly a month and would like to have housing set up. My husband will be making the maiden voyage to get one. I hope he has the house set-up, the A/C cranked up and a pitcher of ice tea made prior to my arrival......ok, just kidding. We may even get an RV and have a house built. Very overwhelmed with the housing decision. But, lets start with a realtor. Any great ones out there?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeepotbend View Post
I hope he has the house set-up, the A/C cranked up and a pitcher of ice tea made prior to my arrival......
OK, you want Stone Oak area. There, done. Do I get a commission now?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandieandangel View Post
Ok well 80+ houses was obviously an exaggeration. But I am also a firm believer that you know the house for you as soon as you walk into it, you just get that feeling. And it may take walking through a few dozen to get that feeling!

I get that feeling when I found the house I want, unfortunately it's always out of my budget range.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM

45 posts, read 142,575 times
We just closed on a new home last week.

We're first time homeowners and the Realtor USAA recommended to us was excellent. We were very impressed with her as we had dealt with a less then stellar Realtor in the prior few weeks.

We were interested in buying within the week we were in SA. We wound up buying in 2 days

Feel free to DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio