Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 AM

4 posts, read 11,478 times

Advertisements

i'm planning on moving to SA this fall

i'll be armed with a bachelor's degree in mathematics and a background in teaching/tutoring math

what kind of jobs do you guys think i could get?

are private school teaching positions readily available?

can i get some recommendations? advice? suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,326 times
You have a Bachelor's in Mathematics, but not a teaching certificate?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,238 times
Ditto on LindaGrace's question - we might be able to provide more specific suggestions if we have all of the details. Do you have a teaching certificate? If so, from Texas or from another state? You say you have a background teaching/tutoring math. What grade level? And actual teaching in a classroom, tutoring in a school environment...?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,660 times
You have to have a degree in a particular academic major like mathematics and teacher training courses but that doesnt automatically give you a certification to teach. That may be why the OP is asking about private schools since many dont necessarily require teachers to be certified. The OP would need to complete a teacher training program & pass teacher certification test(s) for the grade level and subjects he or she wants to teach to be considered "certified."

I would suggest researching private schools in SA (San Antonio Private Schools) (San Antonio Private Schools) and calling to find out if they are going to have a summer program or expect to be hiring in the Fall.

My Grandmother recently applied to a Catholic School in Pleasanton, TX. That is about 30 or so miles from San Antonio. The school will be brand new and is agressively looking for teachers. If you are interested I can get addtl info for you. Best of luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 10,580 times
Check out Northside ISD Careers & Job Fairs: NISD - Human Resources : Job Fairs (http://nisd.net/hr/jobfairs.htm - broken link)

Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Out of all the threads in this forum about the education field in the San Antonio area I think //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-teachers.html is the most helpful. It's from last year and goes through a lot of districts, has a lot of different experiences and lots of outcomes. Good luck and welcome to San Antonio!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,118 times
Math (and science) teachers at the high school level should be in great demand now that Texas high school students are required to take four years of math (and science).

If you don't have a teaching certificate, look into local universities' programs for people who have subject degrees, but need to obtain certification.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
people who do not have a university education degree but want to teach usually do what is generally called alt-cert program
you pay about 4-5K depending on the company you use--it involves classwork (many times web-based with training manuals) for about 2-3 mo and then a test to see if you know the theories/practices that college-education majors spent 3 yrs learning...
http://www.checkteachercert.com/new_page_6.htm (broken link)
if you pass the test you have to find a district that will hire you to teach for a year--that is your practical internship and you are paid what a first year teacher in that district is paid--then you take another test I believe before you actually qualify for a teaching certificate...
if you get it--you still have to maintain certification credentials by taking ongoing professional education hours--so many every 5 yrs...

TEA has regions throughout the state that offer programs; there are private companies that applied to the state to act as third party supervisors/providers and get licensed to do it; some of the larger ISDs also have their own programs and generally will find jobs for people who take it through them but there is no guarantee that after the classes and passing the test that you WILL get the internship...
especially if you are in category that they don't need--like art--
this is the list of approved providers in the Austin/San Antonio area
</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset="> <meta name="robots" content="index,follow"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cac
and this is the Region's own program
Region XIII Education Service Center
this program gives its applicants a two-week hands-on time--which is nothing compared to the semeter long student teaching that occurs with college training--but it is probably better than nothing--which is what some of the programs offer...
and THIS link is to something that ties math background and teaching with what sounds like a 3 yr committment to teach if you go through the program
Region XIII Education Service Center
I think you have missed the application period for this however
notice it says HIGH NEEDS students/schools---interpret that to mean low-performing, lower socio-economic minority demographics, and stressful maybe because of discipline issues as well

good luck
I was a teacher, both my children have education degrees and taught--one is still teaching...
it can be a wonderful experience but it is a terrifically stressful, demanding job at the same time..
some of the teachers at my last school were alt-certs---the two in my department were pretty worthless really--but there was a terrific guy in social studies and a woman in math who was excellent---
it just depends...

Last edited by loves2read; 03-09-2009 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 8,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
You have to have a degree in a particular academic major like mathematics and teacher training courses but that doesnt automatically give you a certification to teach. That may be why the OP is asking about private schools since many dont necessarily require teachers to be certified. The OP would need to complete a teacher training program & pass teacher certification test(s) for the grade level and subjects he or she wants to teach to be considered "certified."

I would suggest researching private schools in SA (San Antonio Private Schools) (San Antonio Private Schools) and calling to find out if they are going to have a summer program or expect to be hiring in the Fall.

My Grandmother recently applied to a Catholic School in Pleasanton, TX. That is about 30 or so miles from San Antonio. The school will be brand new and is agressively looking for teachers. If you are interested I can get addtl info for you. Best of luck!
pls can you get me the info on the school in pleasanton, thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,121 times
Hi, all

I just completed my first year of teaching (internship). For this coming school year, I want to apply for an elementary school position in Alamo Heights ISD, specifically in their Spanish Immersion Program.

I'm hoping to get some suggestions on how to make sure that my resume and other relevant documents are seen by the people who make teacher hiring decisions.

Does anyone have some tips that might, in a crowded, competitive field, increase my chances of having my credentials reviewed by school decision-makers? Or know anyone in the district whom I can contact directly?

Thanks so much & Good luck to everyone! Betty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio