Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
White versus blue is about perception.
I would agree with that unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
sa is similarto cc in its backwards thinking. not very progressive. For many reason to list a few. no metro/rail system, no major airline hub, loss of "white collar jobs" to dallas houston and even austin, tallest building built in 1968. STAGNATE

Wrong, wrong and more wrong! San Antonio is very much a progressive city.
Bus Rapid transit is to be built and Light rail is on the table again. Dallas and Houston didn't build theres until their metros hit the 4-5 million range. At&t relocated but it had nothing to do with San Antonio, More on the lines of the CEO being from the Dallas, Oklahoma area.
San Antonio has other F-500's, and has a stong diversified economy. Skyscrapers have nothing to do with a city's strengths. San Antonio's downtown pretty much blows away any downtown in Texas, new skyscrapers not needed to accomplish that.
Although SA is building new high rise structures downtown.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:16 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scitats View Post
Where are the facts that SA has more white collar jobs than blue collar jobs?

San Antonio is a white collor town. The largest economy in San Antonio is the financial industry. San Antonio Also leads the state of Texas with the number of employees in the financial-insurance sector. Financial, National Defense, Healthcare-Biomedical, Convention-Tourism, Manufacturing, and Aerospace are the largest industries in S.A.

News Release - Finance industry emerges

Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM

142 posts, read 339,064 times
LOL, no, I don't think they're alike at all. Corpus is pleasant enough as a city but it's smaller, lacks the history that San Antonio has and is less of a cosmopolitan place than San Antonio. Don't get me wrong, Corpus has its good points, but given the choice, I would much rather be in San Antonio than the other.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 PM

81 posts, read 192,307 times
Yes, the ethnic composition of San Antonio and Corpus Christi are roughly the same, about 60% Hispanic. But it is going too far to call Corpus Christi "Little San Antonio." The dominant theme of Corpus Chrsti is the ocean being close by. The dominant theme of San Antonio is the tourist attractions of the Alamo and the River Walk.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM

378 posts, read 1,442,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio is a white collor town. The largest economy in San Antonio is the financial industry. San Antonio Also leads the state of Texas with the number of employees in the financial-insurance sector. Financial, National Defense, Healthcare-Biomedical, Convention-Tourism, Manufacturing, and Aerospace are the largest industries in S.A.

News Release - Finance industry emerges
I guess your forgetting all the blue collar jobs those employers bring in as well as white collar jobs. Just because it's a fortune 500 company doesn't mean every single job it brings is gonna be white collar. I'm sure there are gonna be many low skill, hourly wage jobs being brought by these companies.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
To me, Corpus can be compared to San Antonio culturally. Both heavily influenced by the high Hispanic population, Mexican traditions, and history. Also, both cities economies are heavily influenced by tourism. But geographically they are different. SA is in the hill country and CC is along the ocean. The only area in CC that has very little hills is the Calallen/Annaville area. Also, San Antonio's metro is about 5 times the size of Corpus Christi's metro. Another difference is the city leaders. San Antonio seems to be very progressive. Corpus Christi, not so much. Although there are signs that change is finally on the way for Corpus with the new council deciding on what to do with the Memorial Coliseum within 4 months of the start of their new terms.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 PM

413 posts, read 1,404,800 times
I thought San Antonio was boring for life and then I tried to do nightlife in Corpus and found that it was more boring. San Antonio has a lot more to offer with things to do. Is it just me or does Corpus smell? and not like salt water. I went to a concert there back in May and the smell was horrific. I still like going to visit every once in awhile, but definitely think there is more opportunity in San Antonio than CC.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:46 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,559 times
I was in CC in August for a weekend beach getaway, also visited Port A. CC is a nice city, but SA and CC do not compare they are both very different. I will agree SA is more progressive. Both cities do have a high hispanic population. Culture is similar. And yes....I did notice an odor, especially as you get closer to the bay area. I was there in the spring, and at that time it was not that bad. Other than the odor, I enjoy having the closeness of CC, North PI, and Port A., to visit. Love our TX Gulf Coast!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 01:05 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times
I live in CC but I don't smell any kind of odor other than in the Flour Bluff/Oso Bay area. But downtown I don't smell any kind of bad odors. Maybe Corpus Christians are just used to it therefore they smell nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio