Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,273,889 times

Advertisements

Long story....

I have a friend who said he has a friend (yeah, I know) that was robbed after a fake ADT salesman came to the house and asked questions about their alarm system, like if they had one that was hooked up. The salesman asked if they needed a free upgrade to provide CO2 detection and pet safety monitoring. After being let in, the alarm system was disabled and they were later robbed.

Again, I don't know if this is true.

About an hour ago, some guy in an ADT shirt knocked on my door and offered to hook up my alarm system... a free $600 value. I said I was good and it was already hooked up. He asked if I needed any maintenance done while he was here. I said no, and then called the Sherrif's office.

What legitimate business has the kind of customer service that shows up at your door, and offers you freebies? If they really worked for ADT, wouldn't they know if I had ADT or not.

I didn't call 911, just the regular number for the Sheriff's department. It only took them about 10 minutes to show up and chase the men out of the nieghborhood.

I just wanted to say AWESOME job Bexar County Sherrif's Department!!

Also, if these men come to your house, please don't let them in or give them any information about your alarm or lack of alram.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,823,854 times
Great post! And a great reminder to be careful of the information we do give out to solicitors!

Do you mind posting your zip code or neighborhood so we'll kinda know where they were "working" today!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Alright, so... Alamo Ranch/Silver Oaks area.

Also, I spoke to some neighbors. Some have signs for their alarm companies and the "salesman" flat out asked if it was just a sign, or actually hooked up. The nerve!!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 PM

707 posts, read 1,837,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Alright, so... Alamo Ranch/Silver Oaks area.

Also, I spoke to some neighbors. Some have signs for their alarm companies and the "salesman" flat out asked if it was just a sign, or actually hooked up. The nerve!!
In our last home, the previous owners had ADT and we had a system -- but they never left us the code, and we never got monitoring. But we had a sign, so it does happen.

That's none of his business though!

Good job calling up the sherriff's office!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM

I didn't mean "the nerve" of the people with the signs, I meant "the nerve" of him to ask...

I have no issue with the sign thing. More power to you. I meant I can't believe he had the nerve to ask!!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM

707 posts, read 1,837,002 times
Oh yes, I agree with you!

We get salespeople here all the time too. This time we're monitored though. I get so many water softener salespeople, and guys who do it all, dish, security and water!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:42 PM

But that's the thing, I don't think they were salespeople. I called ADT. They said they DO NOT employ any door to door salesman that offer upgrades and unsolicited hooking up of systems without appointments. They were not ADT employees. I believe they were "casing" houses and trying to find out which ones did not have alarms.

Salespeople are annoying. These were not salespeople.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:46 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,777,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I didn't mean "the nerve" of the people with the signs, I meant "the nerve" of him to ask...

I have no issue with the sign thing. More power to you. I meant I can't believe he had the nerve to ask!!
Next time they ask...tell them no, but your 9 millimeter is hooked up !!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM

Alright, sorry to beat a dead horse. I'm just still upset. I have been reading about door-to-door salesman for ADT for like an hour. Apparently they don't corporately hire door-to-door salesman, but some independent ADT dealers could hire door-to-door salesman. I suppose it might have been legitimate.... but still... creepy... and how would you really know if it was real or not??

Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,156,537 times
They could have been legit...when I first moved into my neighborhood there were houses still being built and a few times there were alarm company represenatives going door to door try to get customers, but they weren't wearing uniforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio