Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:22 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,587 times

Advertisements

I was trying to stay out of this as the first attempt when all but unnoticed. Unfortunately, I hear nothing but complaints blah blah blah and no action being taken.

First and foremost let's look at the problem:
Kids tagging

Where are your kids at night when they should be at home? Do the parents know where the kids are? Did the parent teach their children enough respect and discipline or did they want to be friends with their children and let their children run around wherever and whenever? These are the same parents that ask their children, "Please don't make a scene in public". Of course I don't presume that most of you reading this are proud parents of taggers so it's kinda null and void.

If this issue really bothers you, then you need to take it up with those who make the laws and govern this city. Your city council members, your mayor and you police chief.

Not only that but did you can see in the beginning of this thread there was an actual attempt to start an online petition to hold the parent accountable. I wonder how many of you have signed this petition? Or did you not really care enough to sign it?

Thought So!

Instead you'll complain here and hope someone who cares about actually changing the laws stumbles upon this thread and says, "WOW people really don't like graffiti, maybe we should do something about it".

OK OFF MY SOAP BOX...TAKE COVER CUZ HERE COMES THE FLAMES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
I was trying to stay out of this as the first attempt when all but unnoticed. Unfortunately, I hear nothing but complaints blah blah blah and no action being taken.

First and foremost let's look at the problem:
Kids tagging

Where are your kids at night when they should be at home? Do the parents know where the kids are? Did the parent teach their children enough respect and discipline or did they want to be friends with their children and let their children run around wherever and whenever? These are the same parents that ask their children, "Please don't make a scene in public". Of course I don't presume that most of you reading this are proud parents of taggers so it's kinda null and void.

If this issue really bothers you, then you need to take it up with those who make the laws and govern this city. Your city council members, your mayor and you police chief.

Not only that but did you can see in the beginning of this thread there was an actual attempt to start an online petition to hold the parent accountable. I wonder how many of you have signed this petition? Or did you not really care enough to sign it?

Thought So!

Instead you'll complain here and hope someone who cares about actually changing the laws stumbles upon this thread and says, "WOW people really don't like graffiti, maybe we should do something about it".

OK OFF MY SOAP BOX...TAKE COVER CUZ HERE COMES THE FLAMES.
Point taken. I'll shut up now.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,171 times
graffiti is a self expression and we shouldnt be punished for doing the city good i mean the kids shouldnt their master peices is one of the big reasons everyone comes to this town to appreciate it.and your guys threats amuse those artists they dont care they cant stop its like smoking weed or ciargettes no matter what you never stop. for example its just like bustin a nut you guys get me? im sorry if they tag your house or fence. if you want to stop illegal graffiti make legal graffiti walls

Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhrnandez View Post
graffiti is a self expression and we shouldnt be punished for doing the city good i mean the kids shouldnt their master peices is one of the big reasons everyone comes to this town to appreciate it.and your guys threats amuse those artists they dont care they cant stop its like smoking weed or ciargettes no matter what you never stop. for example its just like bustin a nut you guys get me? im sorry if they tag your house or fence. if you want to stop illegal graffiti make legal graffiti walls
Ok...I know I said I'd shut up, but, guess what?

It's not the self-expression that's the problem, dude. It's WHERE these people are choosing to express themselves! If it's self-expression, let them do it in their or their parents' homes.

I don't know how tagging compares to bustin' a nut, since I've never tagged nor have nuts!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
If these kids are tagging, what makes you think they are going to BUY spraypaint? If they don't care about vandalism, I'm sure they probably don't care if they just steal the paint at the store. It's just a thought. If they started ID'ing people, much like they do with cold meds, I'm sure the taggers would just steal it. That's my thoughts. I do think it IS a good idea to lock the paint up, then ID when they ask for it. I'm sure they can still figure out a way to get at it though.

They do lock all paint items in glass containers or ask for id's but taggers can easily get a adult to purchase these items.

Also if you want to see the art of graffiti then you should go to Art Crimes / graffiti.org - The Writing on the Wall
This website is dedicated to the art of graffiti and is known world wide and also shows some art work from SA.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 AM

343 posts, read 1,304,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhrnandez View Post
Este vato!!! Agarra la onda ese!!!

It might be art to these persons but why deface others' properties. I've seen very niece graffiti/muruals. But the main complaint here is the tagging.

It makes areas look so ghetto. Some areas around here are worse than areas I've seen in Matamoros, Mexico and Monterrey, Mexico.

These kids should be proud of their community and not tag every damn wall, sign or utility pole. They can tag their jefita's house all they want.

Everything ends. One way or another. You smoke mota - you either stop or die. You smoke cigarettes - you stop or die from cancer.

Te madreas un huevo - te haces maricon.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
Te madreas un huevo - te haces maricon.
Bwwwwwaaaaahhhhhaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaa!!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:57 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
Ok once again I think we need to stop and make sure we all know what we are talking about. Way back on page 3 of this thread I explained that there is a difference between tagging (which everyone seems to hate) and graffiti art.
Graffiti art is beautiful. It is by far the most influential type of art that is around today (Why do you think the Via buses have wrap around advertising, where do you think they got the idea to do that, New York Subway Graffiti maybe). It is once again, as it was in the early 80s, sought after by all types of art collectors.

Wooster Collective: The "Banksy Effect"
Newsmaker: Banksy - CNN.com

And it’s all types of street art.
So for now everyone seems annoyed at the SMALL amount of graffiti that is starting to show up around town. That aint nothing. Wait till everyone really gets into all the different types of street art. I wonder what everyone will say then, "I hate art".
If you hate art then you are not a very civilized person.

Again I understand no one likes having some kid scribble on there property but think of it as a stepping stone for the life of a future artist. Those that suck will stop doing it in a few years.

I definitely agree that there should be places in town where graffiti can be done legally. I know that takes out a basic element of what graffiti is about but then hopefully all of you that are Beeping about it will stop. I mean hey there are all kinds of parks, skate parks, dog parks. I think it’s about time we catch up with the rest of the country, the rest of the world for that matter and have a graffiti park.

In case anyone is wondering yes I was born in 1972 and yes I still do graffiti and tag but I dont make anything look ugly I promise you that. If I did vandalize your property that was back in the late 80s - early 90s and I'm sorry.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM

47 posts, read 243,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Ok once again I think we need to stop and make sure we all know what we are talking about. Way back on page 3 of this thread I explained that there is a difference between tagging (which everyone seems to hate) and graffiti art.
Graffiti art is beautiful. It is by far the most influential type of art that is around today (Why do you think the Via buses have wrap around advertising, where do you think they got the idea to do that, New York Subway Graffiti maybe). It is once again, as it was in the early 80s, sought after by all types of art collectors.

Wooster Collective: The "Banksy Effect"
Newsmaker: Banksy - CNN.com

And it’s all types of street art.
So for now everyone seems annoyed at the SMALL amount of graffiti that is starting to show up around town. That aint nothing. Wait till everyone really gets into all the different types of street art. I wonder what everyone will say then, "I hate art".
If you hate art then you are not a very civilized person.

Again I understand no one likes having some kid scribble on there property but think of it as a stepping stone for the life of a future artist. Those that suck will stop doing it in a few years.

I definitely agree that there should be places in town where graffiti can be done legally. I know that takes out a basic element of what graffiti is about but then hopefully all of you that are Beeping about it will stop. I mean hey there are all kinds of parks, skate parks, dog parks. I think it’s about time we catch up with the rest of the country, the rest of the world for that matter and have a graffiti park.

In case anyone is wondering yes I was born in 1972 and yes I still do graffiti and tag but I dont make anything look ugly I promise you that. If I did vandalize your property that was back in the late 80s - early 90s and I'm sorry.

The problem here though is tagging. We're not talking about artistic murals. You're giving these taggers way too much credit. We're talking about little punk kids using spray paint to scribble their mark on the side of the fence. Some of it may be an "attempt" at art, but someone's fence is hardly the place to get started as an artist. Not that I'm condoning it, but at least go find a back wall of a long closed store or something if that's your intent. But that's not the intent in most of the cases. Usually, it's no different than a dog pissing to mark his territory to these kids. If we can somehow get these kids to spray their tags with their pee instead. And it starts with the parents, or the lack thereof, and their inability to teach their pets not to run around marking their territory.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Agreed. We are mixing the terms tagging and graffiti. What we are not mixing though is where it is done. A beautiful mural (graffiti/art) or an ugly gang sign (tagging) done on your property or a publicly established canvas intended for that purpose is wonderful.

I don't care if you are Monet, Picasso or Charles Schulz, if you "express yourself" on property that is not yours or not intended to be a canvas for your art, it is VANDALISM and that is a crime.

Yes, people may confuse the names - Graffiti and Tagging, so let's just call it what it is; Vandalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio