Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:20 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,001 times

Advertisements

Wow! Thanks for all the info. (I read the links too) I don't know why it makes me nervous to give it a try. I have a ton of stuff. Dryer, fridge, hand painted girlie bedroom suit, dining room table & china cabinet, cameras, even a seat from the old Arlington (Rangers) Stadium signed by Nolan Ryan and other sports stuff. Could part with some gold jewelry too. What do you think sells the best? Thanks again for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Michelle - Do you think it helps if you live in a gated community? I know they are far from perfect but it is relatively difficult to get through our gate. (no codes, just clickers or talking to the remote guard and then you have to be on a list. Of course in busy times you can always follow someone in if you hurry.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM

41 posts, read 88,978 times
I definitely would not suggest looking for employment there, nothing but spammers. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened on other forums there as well. They just want your email address so they can sell it to spammers!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I like craigslist. I bought a car on it last year and am quite pleased with it (so far, knock on wood, etc.).

Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
I have bought and sold on craigslist. There are LOTS of no shows when seling so don't ever hold an item for someone.
Be sure to take pictures. If there aren't pictures when I'm looking to buy then I don't even bother with it.

Good luck!!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 PM

68 posts, read 362,131 times
Default Beware of Nigerian scam & other such scammers!

I have both bought and sold on Craigs list. We even listed our house on Craigs list and got a lot of traffic for it. It ultimately sold in a different way, but Craigslist created a lot of buzz for it. But, anyway-- just last week we got scammed on Craigs list for nearly $2,400. We are professional photographers and had 2 cameras that we were interested in selling and were contacted by someone saying they wanted to buy the cameras for their son in Nigeria and asked to have it shipped there and they would even pay extra for shipping- they asked to pay us via paypal. They even provided a fake document that looked like Paypal had the money in the account and simply needed the tracking number to release the funds. After shipping the camera's we came home to put the tracking number in to have the funds released and our first clue was no place to put a tracking number. So we call paypal and they say oh no, where did you ship the stuff to because there is a Nigerian scam that is going on that is similar to this- we about fell out of our chairs- our package had shipped to Nigeria! After that we googled Nigerian scam and hundreds of entries pop up. Earmarks of this scam is that emails always read like foreigners are responding to your posting, they offer to pay more then what your asking and they want it shipped out of the country. They have found a way to forge money orders, cashiers check, paypal documents on & on....even when your bank cashes the check and the forgery gets caught eventually- you are out the money not the bank. So you have no money- lost your product and paid for crazy high shipping (in our case $110). Please be careful everybody- this extends beyond Craigslist and they can even burn you on houses, services etc. So only deal with locals and ask for cash only and meet people at a neutral location or be sure that you have someone with you. After we had already shipped those cameras we continue to receive offers from Cuba, California etc.... It has totally freaked us out. We even contacted the news stations about this and none of the contacted us back. But, I worry for other people and wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. It was so heartbreaking for us.

Last edited by CameraGirl; 03-05-2009 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: It wasn't reading right.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM

My gosh what an awful story. Thanks for posting so all of us can learn from your misfortune.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the info. (I read the links too) I don't know why it makes me nervous to give it a try. I have a ton of stuff. Dryer, fridge, hand painted girlie bedroom suit, dining room table & china cabinet, cameras, even a seat from the old Arlington (Rangers) Stadium signed by Nolan Ryan and other sports stuff. Could part with some gold jewelry too. What do you think sells the best? Thanks again for your responses.
I have found that I get the quickest and most response to larger toys and appliances. Stuff like Little Tykes and Step 2. When I posted our playset and refrigerater, I literally had phone calls within minutes!!

What I have a hard time with is people who want to come see the item, but can't come until a day later...what do you do?

We have sold most everything that we have listed. Only have had two issues: one lady didn't show up (we were meeting at Target), another wanted a refund for a kitchen light-she claimed it the glass parts didn't fit correctly (she was putting it together incorrectly, but it was just easier to give her the $ back.)

Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,856 times
Oh no Camera Girl! What a nightmare!

I have no idea about if a gated community would be better -- but like others said, just have a man with you. We've never had an issue in the past. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:17 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I'm gonna travel to Nigeria and kick everybody's a...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio