Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2009, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Glendale/Los Angeles
571 posts, read 1,932,618 times
Reputation: 246

Advertisements

Oh yeah that reminds me.. they put their lights on ALL the time to switch lanes on the freeway and then I seem them with the lights off the rest of the way home..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 AM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 8,293,158 times
Reputation: 2876
I've seen a few police talking on their cellphones, driving like every other idiot who does the same thing and I've also seen them fly down my street, no sirens, no lights, and slam on the breaks at the end of the street when they get to the stop sign, almost like they are trying to see how fast the police car will go on a straight shot. I dont know what the protocol is, but I have always been under the impression if they are responding to a call don't they flip on their lights and blare their sirens? Sometimes they are driving in pairs or threes thru the neighborhood going AT LEAST 40 mph. I know the police are human beings and can/will make mistakes, but sometimes the errors they are making are just downright stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 AM
 
35 posts, read 91,056 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I've seen a few police talking on their cellphones, driving like every other idiot who does the same thing and I've also seen them fly down my street, no sirens, no lights, and slam on the breaks at the end of the street when they get to the stop sign, almost like they are trying to see how fast the police car will go on a straight shot. I dont know what the protocol is, but I have always been under the impression if they are responding to a call don't they flip on their lights and blare their sirens? Sometimes they are driving in pairs or threes thru the neighborhood going AT LEAST 40 mph. I know the police are human beings and can/will make mistakes, but sometimes the errors they are making are just downright stupid.
I recognize that they are human. As humans they are prone to the same weaknesses the rest of us are. My objection is the way they carry themselves, and talk down to others. Their attitude and arrogance is disturbing and dangerous.

Do you think they would give you a break if they pull you over going 40 mph in a subdivision? Of course not. In fact, they would treat you with in the same condescending manner that they always use.

I will find out if there is any legal risks to posting offending officers information on the web. We need to nip this problem now; it's getting out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 AM
 
1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
Reputation: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
I will find out if there is any legal risks to posting offending officers information on the web.
not sure of the legal ramifications, if any...but i am pretty sure if you post the officers info on this website it will get deleted by a mod pretty quickly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 AM
 
14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Reputation: 6683
What would someone gain by posting their info on a message forum anyway? I'm missing something here. I just don't think that is a solution, or even a step towards a solution. Go ahead and take your pictures, but file a complaint with the department and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 AM
 
35 posts, read 91,056 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
not sure of the legal ramifications, if any...but i am pretty sure if you post the officers info on this website it will get deleted by a mod pretty quickly...
Why is that? It's public information, right? I'm not suggesting anyone commit any crimes against anyone, nor would I be divulging any information that is not part of public record.

The post would serve as a record of the officer and their abuse of power, and that would be used to track repeat offenders and identify patterns of abuse. As citizens we have the right to hold our government responsible for their actions and to ensure that they are held to the same standards as the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
 
35 posts, read 91,056 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
What would someone gain by posting their info on a message forum anyway? I'm missing something here. I just don't think that is a solution, or even a step towards a solution. Go ahead and take your pictures, but file a complaint with the department and go from there.

If the department follows through with the complaint then there would be no problem. I filed a complaint in the past and nothing was done about it, despite the fact that the officer's behavior could have resulted in the death of an innocent person.

Keeping a record online would add transparency to the problem and would ultimately discourage continued abuse of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 AM
 
14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Reputation: 6683
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
If the department follows through with the complaint then there would be no problem. I filed a complaint in the past and nothing was done about it, despite the fact that the officer's behavior could have resulted in the death of an innocent person.

Keeping a record online would add transparency to the problem and would ultimately discourage continued abuse of power.
Sounds like you have your mind made up then. Good luck with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 AM
 
35 posts, read 91,056 times
Reputation: 28
I am certainly open to discussion, that is why I started this thread. I do value your opinion, and I appreciate your post.

Do you not think that keeping an easily accessible record of misdeeds would help, or do you think it would actually cause harm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 AM
 
1,366 posts, read 4,488,647 times
Reputation: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
I am certainly open to discussion, that is why I started this thread. I do value your opinion, and I appreciate your post.

Do you not think that keeping an easily accessible record of misdeeds would help, or do you think it would actually cause harm?
you very well may be right...all i am saying is that this forum is not a place to do that --- you cannot post a bad situation you had with a restaraunt or a contractor, i highly doubt they will allow you to post a person's name, badge number, etc...

it is not a matter of it being public information --- it is a matter of being against the forum rules ---

maybe you could start your own blog or forum or whatever it may be to keep this information readily available...

i also agree with sapphire that the place to go would be the dept. not a public forum --- half the people on this forum are not even serviced by BCS --- they are serviced by SAPD ---

i understand that your complaint fell on deaf ears within the dept --- but honestly, for every 1 complaint like yours, the dept. probably has 10 complaints about not having enough police presence in your neighborhood --- so they are damned if they do and damned if they don't ---

now i know you are going to say that you do want them in the neighborhood, just not driving recklessly...but honestly, that gets into all the he said vs. she said stuff and in reality who do you think the dept. will listen too, their officer more than likely ---

if anything all this is going to do is get them to stop driving in the neighborhood period...

i know it's an ugly situation, and i am not saying it is right, by any means...i am just saying what it is...

Last edited by mrstxcop; 03-09-2009 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top