Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:49 PM

35 posts, read 91,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I believe the OP thought the Law Enforcement Officer was moving unsafely as the tired squealed. I have heard tires make that sound coming out of my driveway.

No, the OP stopped a cop gave him a driving lesson or lecture and was surprised when said cop called for back up. Be sure if I was a Police Officer and a civilian was talking or accusing me of something, I would also want someone else there as a witness.

I have never and would never think it were my place to flag an officer down for what I perceived as unsafe driving. I often look at cars in the neighborhood and think they are speeding when they probably are not.

I welcome the increased Police presence in our neighborhood and have never had a problem with them driving any worse than the people who live here. One even helped a group of use try and catch a scared dog running around our hood one night because a group of us thought it was hurt based only on the awful noises it was making.

Has anyone ever driven down the road and had someone give them the slow down gesture while you check the speed and are in fact going below the posted limit?

When you are not moving, everything that is looks faster.

How many of you good citizens are willing to take a bullet, leave your wife/husband a widow and your children childless for a stranger? I am willing to guess not many.

I risk my life for others every day. I don't ask for recognition, and I don't ask to be treated special, and I certainly don't act like I am above the law. Perhaps that is what bothered me so much about the disgraceful behavior this officer exhibited.

I hope no one you love is ever injured by a reckless, arrogant officer who is speeding without an emergency because it's a "perk of the job."

Your insistence that I did something wrong by asking him to slow down is naive and ignorant. He is armed, and as far as I could tell, dangerous. I know full well that he could have shot me without warning if I had done anything that I even remotely indicated that I could pose a threat to his life. Even if I just had something in my hand that could have been a gun or other weapon. I know I was taking a chance my stopping him, but it would not have been right to just let it go.

You can blame me all you want, but the reality is that I did what I felt was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 05:36 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,302,089 times
Sometimes what feels right isnt necessarily what is right......

Old 03-25-2009, 05:39 PM

337 posts, read 827,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
I risk my life for others every day. I don't ask for recognition, and I don't ask to be treated special, and I certainly don't act like I am above the law. Perhaps that is what bothered me so much about the disgraceful behavior this officer exhibited.

I hope no one you love is ever injured by a reckless, arrogant officer who is speeding without an emergency because it's a "perk of the job."

Your insistence that I did something wrong by asking him to slow down is naive and ignorant. He is armed, and as far as I could tell, dangerous. I know full well that he could have shot me without warning if I had done anything that I even remotely indicated that I could pose a threat to his life. Even if I just had something in my hand that could have been a gun or other weapon. I know I was taking a chance my stopping him, but it would not have been right to just let it go.

You can blame me all you want, but the reality is that I did what I felt was right.
Actually someone I knew was killed by a Seminal County Sheriff a few years ago with no lights or sirens, speeding down a road to a call that did not require him. My friend was a pedestrian crossing the road.

I also hope I never have to experience that again in my life. But, I hardly feel your hope for me is sincere, just more spiteful. But, that seems to be your thing. I believe you also wished hard come to our family when you didn't like my husbands reply. You are without a doubt consistent.

Hey, you feel however you want. I am sure you have never broken a law in your life. I am sure that you are perfect. I am not.

Human nature all but makes it impossible to be perfect. I hope that most of us do our best to be decent people.

I didn't insist, blame nor do I care why you felt the need to stop the cop. I just don't think I would unless he was without doubt doing something illegal. Do you have proof that he was indeed speeding? Do you have proof that he was driving recklessly? I simply said that things are not always as they might seem.

Since you feel vindicated in your actions, did you ever follow up with this through the channels provided in this thread?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,383,447 times
Quote:

Omgosh....enough already.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,069,919 times
Quote:

Since you feel vindicated in your actions, did you ever follow up with this through the channels provided in this thread?
This.

I think we'd all like the answer to this one.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 PM

35 posts, read 91,240 times
Quote:
Actually someone I knew was killed by a Seminal County Sheriff a few years ago with no lights or sirens, speeding down a road to a call that did not require him. My friend was a pedestrian crossing the road.

I also hope I never have to experience that again in my life. But, I hardly feel your hope for me is sincere, just more spiteful. But, that seems to be your thing. I believe you also wished hard come to our family when you didn't like my husbands reply. You are without a doubt consistent.

Hey, you feel however you want. I am sure you have never broken a law in your life. I am sure that you are perfect. I am not.

Human nature all but makes it impossible to be perfect. I hope that most of us do our best to be decent people.

I didn't insist, blame nor do I care why you felt the need to stop the cop. I just don't think I would unless he was without doubt doing something illegal. Do you have proof that he was indeed speeding? Do you have proof that he was driving recklessly? I simply said that things are not always as they might seem.

I am working with someone who is helping me find the best way to follow up on this. My last formal complaint essentially went unnoticed, and since I have already been threatened, I am struggling to find a balance in what is the most appropriate way to go about addressing this problem without reprisal.

And for clarification, I DO hope no one you care about is injured. That was not a vindictive comment, although I can appreciate how it could be interpreted that way.

I am amazed though, that you can lose someone so special to you, yet still defend the reckless nature of the officer that sped through my neighborhood. If we don't hold them accountable who will? Clearly, not the police department, as they have a repeated history of protecting their own instead of doing what's right.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM

337 posts, read 827,380 times
Quote:
I am amazed though, that you can lose someone so special to you, yet still defend the reckless nature of the officer that sped through my neighborhood. If we don't hold them accountable who will? Clearly, not the police department, as they have a repeated history of protecting their own instead of doing what's right.
Here is what I know. Notice I said KNOW-that young officer will live with the fact that he took a father from a daughter and a husband from a wife. I know that will be with him everyday. I know that I am thankful that none of my other friends were killed that night as a large group of them were crossing the road.

I know that no matter what you or I think about what happened to me or you I know lots of cops and I know that I appreciate the sacrifice that they could potentially make for me one day.

I know that at any given moment they could loose their life because someone doesn't want to go back to jail. I know most people usually try to do their best everyday, I also know we all fall short at times. I know that perception is reality.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,455,394 times
before reading all these posts, I agree with you, the cops in this town drive like idiots. I have almost been run off 410 a couple of times by an officer driving like a bat out of hell without any lights or sirens. If you've lived here long, you'll remember all the one car accidents they have been in where they have killed themselves. It doesn't make sense since there is a cop driving school right here in SA. Good luck with your cause.

p.s. I got pulled over a few weeks ago. At first they pulled me over for no front license plate (in the windshield, no bracket on front bumper). Then they "warned" me about my back license plate cover being illegal because it covered part of Texas. I tried to explain to them the law had changed that you couldn't cover 50% or more of Texas, but of course they wouldn't listen. Since they didn't ticket me, I didn't get the chance to prove them wrong in court.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,430,831 times
We were passed by BCSO on Potranco this morning, right in front of Stevens. Considering a cop was just killed on Potranco, and a student horrifically killed right in front of Stevens, you would think they would be a little more cautious and 'public aware'. Nope, Just weaved right through everyone.

And I really get tired of the ones that hammer the gas and run stop signs, just to turn into their office at Sea World. It's really obvious they don't stop, because everyone else comes to a true legal full stop when those guys are around....this evening I saw a BCSO car take the turnaround on 1604/Military, turn into the Shell station, and then cut across Military towards 151. He then half stopped at the two stop signs, and turned into Sea World. wth?

Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,455,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save_Burbank View Post
sounds like you dont do well when confronted with the truth. if they are "patrolling your roads" whether it is speeding tickets or patrolling neighborhoods, they are doing their job.

you should venture to the innercity where you sometimes find officers asleep on duty, having 2 hour lunch breaks, or in some cases sitting at the same corner for hours "seemingly" doing work.

you must not understand the game of odds when they ticket people on the road, i am not a cop, but some simple google searches will show you statistics which favor a safer environment by simply ticketing speeders. from DUI's, to drug busts, and more commonly no insurance, and warrants.

sounds like a great system to me and if you dont want "that" kind of presence in your area, let them leave for a few months and the real tragedy would be a drunk driver running over a kid in your neighborhood. then who would you complain to?

violating your civil rights? its not like the cop beat you in the middle of the street and then broke your camera. not to mention domestic issues are the worst situation for officers and their adrenaline and fear is at an all time high in those cases, but you did not take into consideration what that officer may be going through at the neighbors...did you?

if you have a valid complaint, i provided the emails...now contact them and instaead of being reactive, become proactive!
you don't need the drunk drivers running over children when the cops do it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio