Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,454,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
So you're saying they should enforce certain laws, but not others? Speeding causes the majority of accidents. It's something you'll find out when you're old enough to get your license.

If you don't want to get a speeding ticket, don't speed. Brilliant advice, I know.
then how come the last 2 times they increased the speed limit on I10 west of here, the number of accidents declined? Not to mention in the last 5 years they've raised the speed limit from 50 to 60 downtown in the freeways.

Speed Kills, But on Interstates, Speed Variance Is More Deadly - UB NewsCenter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
(SAPD NOT Bexar co)

I-Team: SAPD responsible for*1,647*car accidents | Latest News | KENS5.com (http://www.kens5.com/latestnews/stories/KENS20090323-Iteam_Police_Crashes.6501aa07.html - broken link)
It seems that even this is skewed in favor of the cops:
While the sides disagree about who was at fault, according to police logs, less than one minute before the accident Officer Masters was driving 97 miles an hour.

I wonder if anyone would be defending truck drivers with these types of stats? They log a lot of miles to.
This reminds me of an almost accident I had a couple of weeks ago. Driving down 1516 in Converse past JHS a cop turned left in front of me from a side street. Completely blew through the stop sign and I had to lock the brakes to keep from t-boning him. glad I didn't hit him, it probably would of been "my fault".

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
We're country folks. Animal Control was not available after hours and you get the Bexar County Sheriff's. We all thought it was wounded.
not so funny story. Had the neighbor's bull mastiffs get into my yard and couldn't get back out. I heard barking in my back yard (our dog was in her kennel in the kitchen). I look outside and am met with a 100lb+ dog slamming full force into my sliding glass door. I called the cops, locked my wife and children upstairs (son missed school that day) and waited. 30 minutes later Bexar County cop shows up, assesses the situation, tells me that he will talk to the owner and come back and give me the details. Never saw the cop again. The owner of the dogs broke the fence trying to get them back, still hasn't fixed it, just blocked it. When I opened the back door to tell him to come around and I would unlock the gate, the dogs again tried repeatedly to come into the house, while he is yelling at them. He finally gets his dogs, but still no cop. I called the BCSO and ask about it and I was told that a detective would follow up after they got the report. Never heard back even though I followed up 2 more times. It wouldn't have been such an issue except the guy has already been ticketed 2 other times, once after they got out a hurt the neighbor's dog. Now I have a 45 if they come back, but seems to me more should of been done.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,426,574 times
More should have been done. But you have a right and obligation to protect your family. I would not hesitate to shoot a pet that could easily kill every member of my family.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,440,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
not so funny story. Had the neighbor's bull mastiffs get into my yard and couldn't get back out. I heard barking in my back yard (our dog was in her kennel in the kitchen). I look outside and am met with a 100lb+ dog slamming full force into my sliding glass door. I called the cops, locked my wife and children upstairs (son missed school that day) and waited. 30 minutes later Bexar County cop shows up, assesses the situation, tells me that he will talk to the owner and come back and give me the details. Never saw the cop again. The owner of the dogs broke the fence trying to get them back, still hasn't fixed it, just blocked it. When I opened the back door to tell him to come around and I would unlock the gate, the dogs again tried repeatedly to come into the house, while he is yelling at them. He finally gets his dogs, but still no cop. I called the BCSO and ask about it and I was told that a detective would follow up after they got the report. Never heard back even though I followed up 2 more times. It wouldn't have been such an issue except the guy has already been ticketed 2 other times, once after they got out a hurt the neighbor's dog. Now I have a 45 if they come back, but seems to me more should of been done.
Why were those dogs trying to get into your house?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,374,357 times
Quote:
Forget the police department and report him to animal control. Inquire about pet violations and the pet's actual record. They can and will take a violent pet away from the owner. Do not hesitate if your family is at risk.

You also have grounds for a civil lawsuit if you have property damage.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,440,906 times
Quote:
then how come the last 2 times they increased the speed limit on I10 west of here, the number of accidents declined? Not to mention in the last 5 years they've raised the speed limit from 50 to 60 downtown in the freeways.

Speed Kills, But on Interstates, Speed Variance Is More Deadly - UB NewsCenter

In other countries where the roads are actually well built, speed is not even limited. People can just drive at whatever speed they want. And the best part is, they have the least amount of accidents than any state here in the U.S.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Forget the police department and report him to animal control. Inquire about pet violations and the pet's actual record. They can and will take a violent pet away from the owner. Do not hesitate if your family is at risk.

You also have grounds for a civil lawsuit if you have property damage.
animal control isn't available at 0630 in the morning. the guy did follow up about 10 days later and said, "yep, shoot em". that is what I will do.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Why were those dogs trying to get into your house?
these dogs have temperment issues. they have snapped at me and my daughter through the fence as well. If we went anywhere near the back door, they were on it, slamming the glass, barking...
This guy has been cited before and was supposed to go to court last fall, but I don't think our neighbor showed for court.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:10 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,404,874 times
too bad it's not legal to shoot the one that needs to be shot. I absolutely hate irresponsible people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio