Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:16 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,144 times

Advertisements

Okay.. so I am driving on Wurzbach Parkway by Starcrest.. and see a Constable (2 were sitting on the side road apparantly looking for speeders as this part of Wurzbach parkway is known for a lot of offenders) driving towards IH 34 past Wetmore exit. He slows down.. (he was in the fast lane) to almost a stop.... then what does he do? He turns around (driving over the median intended to stop us drivers from turning around) and goes back towards Jones Maltsberger...

Now one thing is for sure.. if you or I (Joe Public) did that crap.. we would be looking at a ticket for sure... its crap like that, that pisses me off. The bad thing about it is.. if you call their bosses .. nothing gets done...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:20 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times
Am I the only one the wonders why a constable has time to sit on the roadside and catch speeders.

I thought their mission was to serve summon and warrants. Have they ALL been served?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I think a Constable is a super cop in Texas. I was talked to by a constable one day and looked them up when I got home and they're actual LE that can go anywhere in the state and do pretty much anything, including traffic impediment.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Constables are the only Law Enforcement mandated by the Texas Constitution...

Current duties if the Constable are to:
  • Preserve the peace and good order of their precincts, and other precincts within the county
  • To arrest, where authorized by the provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, offenders against the Penal Laws of the State of Texas, taking then without delay before the proper Magistrate or Court to be tried
  • To interfere without Warrant, to prevent and suppress crime within their precincts, and other precincts within the county
  • Arrest offenders without warrant in order that they may be taken without delay to a Magistrate or proper court for examination or trial.
  • Other duties are to execute and make return to the proper court according to Law: Arrest Warrants, Search Warrants, Witness Attachments, Criminal Subpoenas, and all other criminal process,
  • Writs and precepts directed to the Constable by any Justice of the Peace, County Court, or District Court

Source: Texas Constables Online (http://texasconstables.com/default.aspx - broken link)

And this from the Wilson County Constable web site...

Quote:
What is a Constable?

Constables are constitutionally authorized peace officers. Constables have the same arrest powers and duties as municipal police officers and sheriffs and have the added responsibility of executing civil process for the courts.

The mission of this office is to serve as judicial officers for our courts. Our responsibilities include executing warrants and serving process that are directed to the constable including eviction actions and seizing property. A constable executes any civil or criminal process throughout the county including citation, notice, warrant, subpoena, or writ. The Constable's can also enforce traffic laws and any other duties that fall on Texas Peace Officers.

What kind of training does a Constable require?

Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education: "Require that every commissioned Texas Peace Officer in the State of Texas continue their training and education by taking at least the required twenty-hours every two-year cycle." Every Peace Officer in the State of Texas attends a Police Academy and must take their TCLEOSE exam. The State also requires that every applicant take a medical and psychological exam. Continuing education courses include:

1. Family Violence
2. Cultural Diversity
3. Special Investigative Topics
4. 20 hour Civil Process Course
5. Firearms Training
6. Racial Profiling
7. 80 Hours of added training within the first 2 years of taking office
Cheers! M2

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
It happens all the time: SAPD and other branches breaking the very rules they are put in-place to enforce. It's very much a 'do as I say, not as I do' situation...

Just yesterday I watched a SAPD officer run through a red light on South Alamo without using his lights or siren. Just blatant misuse of the rule book and there's absolutely nothing that can be done to fix it. If you call to complain, they've got computer systems that can notate whether or not you're a regular 'complainer.' After awhile, you just become white noise to them and it's a worthless cause.

BN

Old 04-13-2009, 11:00 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
That actually worked out in my favor on Saturday. I was turning left onto Potranco from 1604 and was the last car through, but thanks to the morons in front of me suddenly slowing down, I sorta went through on a barely yellow/mostly red. There was a BCSD in the straight lane that floored it to make it through and he was further back than me, so it was all good. I don't blame him for that one, though, because you're screwed for quite a while if you miss that light.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:43 AM

16 posts, read 33,548 times
I know this thread is old, but I just stumbled across it. I will be straight forward and say that I am Bexar County Sheriff’s Deputy and proud of it.

First of all, if this incident that concernedSAcitizen speaks of really happened, then I apologize. We aren’t all arrogant and reckless. Most of us became cops to serve our community, and help others. Please, don’t base your opinion of our department on just a few arrogant deputies, it isn’t fair.

All departments receive complaints about their officers driving fast, it’s not just in Bexar County. What people don’t understand is that most of the time it is a necessity. In our policy it states we have to receive permission to run “code 3” (lights and sirens). These are for emergency calls such as major crashes, officers in trouble, or any calls where a life may be at risk. (We risk our lives to save yours) A lot of times we do not have permission to run code, but we still have to drive fast to the call, because it is possible someone is in danger, or someone’s property is at risk.

Also, to the person who posted our pay scale. It was way off. I believe that is what our detention deputies receive, not law enforcement deputies.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:05 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeandProtect View Post
I know this thread is old, but I just stumbled across it. I will be straight forward and say that I am Bexar County Sheriff’s Deputy and proud of it.

First of all, if this incident that concernedSAcitizen speaks of really happened, then I apologize. We aren’t all arrogant and reckless. Most of us became cops to serve our community, and help others. Please, don’t base your opinion of our department on just a few arrogant deputies, it isn’t fair.

All departments receive complaints about their officers driving fast, it’s not just in Bexar County. What people don’t understand is that most of the time it is a necessity. In our policy it states we have to receive permission to run “code 3” (lights and sirens). These are for emergency calls such as major crashes, officers in trouble, or any calls where a life may be at risk. (We risk our lives to save yours) A lot of times we do not have permission to run code, but we still have to drive fast to the call, because it is possible someone is in danger, or someone’s property is at risk.

Also, to the person who posted our pay scale. It was way off. I believe that is what our detention deputies receive, not law enforcement deputies.

Ahh okay... so then making a U-turn on a highway that has a concrete divider is okay because they did it because someone might be in danger? Hmm I dont buy that one...

Going through red lights and not turning on your lights for just a second to indicate your going through it is dangerous too.. at least let us know that you are going to go through it.. not just run it..

Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
ServeandProtect

Most of us realize it only takes a few bad apples to give the entire organization a reputation. I for one appreciate your comments and agree with them, all the encounters I have had with BCSD as well as DPS have been "positive" in a sense that the officers were friendly and professional. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for all the SAPD officers I've encountered; but even then I know the vast majority of them are professional...I was just lucky enough to meet the statistical anomaly!

Sure, I am not naive enough to think that some officers abuse their positions by doing stuff the OP witnessed; but I also know that sometimes things aren’t always as they appear. And the recent thread about the person being pulled over and ticked for not clearing the left passing lane was music to my ears, I applaud the enforcement of this law as it probably causes more traffic problems than speeding!

But for the most part, just know that the community appreciates the work you and your colleagues are doing. You put your lives on the line for our safety, and that shouldn’t go unrecognized…

Cheers! M2

Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 PM

410 posts, read 1,249,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
But for the most part, just know that the community appreciates the work you and your colleagues are doing. You put your lives on the line for our safety, and that shouldn’t go unrecognized…
Hear, hear

+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio