Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,374,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
ServeandProtect

But for the most part, just know that the community appreciates the work you and your colleagues are doing. You put your lives on the line for our safety, and that shouldn’t go unrecognized…

Cheers! M2
Finally! After too many pages degrading our police force. I'm totally dismayed at the lack of appreciation in this thread that I gave up on it some time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,843,578 times
ServeandProtect- THANK YOU for doing just that. I have had to call BCSD a few times and everytime you responded quickly. I know you all are spread thin as far as the vast areas you have to cover. I appreciate your service.
*FYI to all others: Late one evening last week I sent an email to Lt. Kyle Coleman about a traffic issue. I found the email address on BCSD webpage. Due to the late hour I expected to have get a reply the next day. In less than a minute (No Kidding) I had a response and a resolution to the problem.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:28 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,200,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeandProtect View Post
I know this thread is old, but I just stumbled across it. I will be straight forward and say that I am Bexar County Sheriff’s Deputy and proud of it.

First of all, if this incident that concernedSAcitizen speaks of really happened, then I apologize. We aren’t all arrogant and reckless. Most of us became cops to serve our community, and help others. Please, don’t base your opinion of our department on just a few arrogant deputies, it isn’t fair.

All departments receive complaints about their officers driving fast, it’s not just in Bexar County. What people don’t understand is that most of the time it is a necessity. In our policy it states we have to receive permission to run “code 3” (lights and sirens). These are for emergency calls such as major crashes, officers in trouble, or any calls where a life may be at risk. (We risk our lives to save yours) A lot of times we do not have permission to run code, but we still have to drive fast to the call, because it is possible someone is in danger, or someone’s property is at risk.

Also, to the person who posted our pay scale. It was way off. I believe that is what our detention deputies receive, not law enforcement deputies.
We don't all share the same views as the boo-birds. Being a former LE person I know full well about abuse...Thanks for being there...

Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 AM

8,399 posts, read 23,000,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
We don't all share the same views as the boo-birds. Being a former LE person I know full well about abuse...Thanks for being there...
Well, I can tell you about the number of idiots I met in the military during my 25 years in uniform; but that still doesn't mean I believe that organizationally it is filled with nothing but idiots. The problem is that people let a few occasional bad incidents overshadow the many positive ones being done on a daily basis.

Most people do not give the police enough credit until they are directly affected by their service. If the catch a criminal burglarizing your house, I am sure you would be more than grateful.

Additionally, many people blame the police when the true fault lies with themselves. We just saw someone complaine about getting a ticket for driving in the passing lane despite the fact that it is against the law. They were slow to admit that despite their ignorance, the officer was right and the ticket deserved. Many speeders fall into this same category. If you know you are guilty, then you shouldn't fault the police for doing their job. Nothing says you have to be happy about it, but at least be mature enough not to criticize the police when they are doing what we pay them for.

Those who serve make society that much more civilized for the rest of us. If anything, people should demand that the SAPD hire more officers to keep our streets safe for each other and our children. San Antonio is very undermanned and the Bexar County Sheriff's Dept is spread pretty thin as well. I provided the statistics in Post #3 in this thread...

Quote:
According to SAPD's web site, the average response time for a 911 call is 5.36 min. For regular calls, it is 18.49 min (Source). But understand there are only a tad over 2000 officers for a city of 1,328,984 (as of July 2007, so it has to be higher now)(Source). That's one officer for every 661 citizens. The International Association of Police Chiefs recommends a ratio of 2.5 officers for every 1000 people in cities with over 250,000 residents (Source). So S.A. is about one police officer shy of that (1.5 per 1000).

So obviously there is a shortage of officers in San Antonio (by about 1329 officers, by my math).
If there is outrage over the police, it should due to the above information; not such trivialities as cutting over the median, especially when the person who witnessed that incident doesn't know all the facts behind it! Assume all you want, but in this country we have something called presumption of innocence that is the foundation of not only our legal system but also every major modern democracy in the world...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,426,574 times
BCSO was in our neighborhood picking up a drunk the other day - the cop talked to him all of ten seconds before cuffing him and putting him in the car.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,412,152 times
We all appreciate and expect LE to protect us. The vast majority do.

I went and reread the OP. The complaint was about a sheriff's deputy who was driving dangerously, was confronted and decided to escalate this situation by calling in his friends to belittle the writer.

The deputy was not responding to a call; he was abusing his authority.

While we continue this lovefest, I am still interested if concernedSAcitizen has any feedback from the SO or has been badgered into silence?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,881 times
Default constable deputies pct 4

constable deputies ya they get away with alot look at pct 4 they got an officer thats married and living with a lady from one of the schools he works for and she is the financial officer there. great set of morals for his dept the community and the kids see that behavior on an officer. The deputies there speed and not on a call just to go eat cause i was going to same place and they just use there badge as a right away. That constable must not care how his deputies carry on in uniformin front of the public. Guess cause it is the east side they can act anyway they want huh

Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,823,161 times
Default Oy

Keep in mind that just because the SAPD enforces laws doesn't make them guys who are 'on your side.' I refuse to agree in lock-step just because they're 'serving and protecting.' Who polices the police department? WE DO. The people. The tax payers.

From what I've seen on a daily basis, the AHPD and SAPD could use a bit more training in how they go about doing their job. Abuse of power, negligent behavior and blatant lying are all things I've either seen or experienced.

Case-in-point:
Driving last week in AH, doing the posted speed limit. I get popped by a AHPD officer in front of Nix Hospital. He says I'm speeding. I call his bluff. And why?

A) I've got a detector. He never ONCE turned on his radar before stopping me.

B) I know my rights as a citizen and driver.

I asked him to show me the said 'clocked' speed on his radar (which, btw, is a perfectly legal thing to ask an officer) and he fumbled. Like a house of cards, he cratered and tried to cover his gaff with PD bravado, saying he didn't technically have to show me his radar. I didn't back down and he walked away without even writing as much as a warning. His name, badge number and patrol car ID are now in the hands of my attorney. Case closed.

If you let the powers that be get away with abuse, it will only continue to get worse. If you've been wronged and it's within your ability to fight it, don't back down.

BN

Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,000,516 times
Well, since everyone is telling their 'horror' stories, I will share the firsthand experience I had with one of SAPD's finest less than an hour ago.

My wife called because she had a minor "fender bender" with another car in the parking lot of one of the local strip malls, both vehicles were backing out when they collided at very slow speed.

My wife's van took the brunt of the damage, mostly scraps along the bumper; but the other driver refused to exchange insurance information (as the law requires) and kept claiming it was my wife's fault; so my wife called me at work. Luckily, I work with a SAPD wife so she instructed me that since it was on private property and that there were no witnesses, that all a responding officer would do was exchange the information. Still, the woman refused so I told her to call the SAPD non-emergency number (207-SAPD (7273), something good to store in your cell phone!). I also went to the "scene of the crime" to make sure my wife was OK.

It did take a while for an officer to respond, but it wasn't really an emergency. However, when she did, she was professional and courtesy. First thing she did was ensure that no one needed medical attention, then she explained to both parties that since it was on private property and there were no witnesses, all she could do is have us both fill out the information exchange forms and call our insurance companies. The other driver tried to get the officer to say it was my wife's fault, but the officer politely told her that she could not do that.

Overall, it took only 10-15 minutes from start to finish, but it would've been easier if the other driver would have been aware of the law and done the right thing in the first place. She wasn't the sharpest tack in the box, needless to say. Still, for her part the SAPD officer handled the entire affair very well and I was impressed with her professionalism.

However, I am sure the other driver would have something different to say about that!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio