Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,436,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty_Matty View Post

Are you kidding me? How are they doing a good job? I tell you what they are good at, generating revenue by giving it's decent, hard working citizens speeding tickets. Yeah, they are doing a great job. Worthless ****s..

So you're saying they should enforce certain laws, but not others? Speeding causes the majority of accidents. It's something you'll find out when you're old enough to get your license.

If you don't want to get a speeding ticket, don't speed. Brilliant advice, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,974 times
Quote:
You're right, but when each officer comes to back up their nutjob friends, that DOES make the whole force bad.
Generalize much?

Quote:
Are you kidding me? How are they doing a good job? I tell you what they are good at, generating revenue by giving it's decent, hard working citizens speeding tickets. Yeah, they are doing a great job. Worthless ****s..
Wanna avoid getting a speeding ticket? Slow your a$$ down then!

Quote:
Wrong again. Even if they did call 'em, they either wouldn't show up or take their sweet ass time to the point where they weren't needed anymore.
Again with the generalization. I guess that's why we have anarchy because police officers NEVER do their jobs. They apparently do show up, otherwise, the jail wouldn't be overcrowded! Or do you think those inmates all turned themselves in?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 AM

199 posts, read 663,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Generalize much?

Wanna avoid getting a speeding ticket? Slow your a$$ down then!

Again with the generalization. I guess that's why we have anarchy because police officers NEVER do their jobs. They apparently do show up, otherwise, the jail wouldn't be overcrowded! Or do you think those inmates all turned themselves in?
Yeah I agree, I'm not a fan of cops either. I'm with you man, we need to get some better trained officers.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 PM

475 posts, read 1,094,891 times
Whether it is police officers or sheriff deputies, their service to the populace should be appreciated as they are potentially putting their lives in danger everyday.

Having said that, as is the case with anyone's neighborhood, schools, etc, there are always some bad apples. In the case of the peace officers, to the extent the good ones help weed out the bad ones and the leadership takes any issues seriously, this is fine.

The problem is when the "brotherhood/sisterhood" keeps quiet and/or the leadership ignores issues when brought to their attention, especially against repeat offenders. Over time, that leads to a culture where a bad reputation is earned by the force.

In this case, if the photographer/homeowner did impede an emergency situation, I am sure the deputy could have continued to leave and taken care of the emergency, and then come back to speak with the homeowner who flagged him down.

If on the other hand he was just doing what you are I would easily get ticketed for, then pointing it out to the deputy should be applauded provided it is done in a polite and nonthreatening manner -- we should never fear those in power when they make a mistake. In this case speeding on a neighborhood street without heading to another call is not acceptable and taking pictures or having witnesses to provide citizen backup as a counterpoint to the deputy's backup is also fine.

Of course, we don't know the whole story since we have not heard from the department and have not seen what might have been recorded by the camera inside the patrol car. That recording, if it captured this whole incident, might help with understanding why backup was called by the deputy and it may provide a less biased account.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:20 PM

278 posts, read 694,038 times
those photos show me 3 officers that need to be fired. to waste the time, effort, and resources of 3 squad cars and officers for a guy asking a cop to slow down is reprehensible.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 PM

35 posts, read 91,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Every police force has officers that should be weeded out and those are the ones you'll hear about. Just because there are a few nutjobs on the force doesn't make the whole force bad. Overall, I think our officers are doing a pretty good job and would rather have them than none at all. Also, I've noticed that the ones who spend any amount of time bad-mouthing cops are the first ones to call them when they're in trouble.
I agree with a lot of what you say here. I think there are a few that spoil the bunch, and that there are many good officers out there. I have an uncle who is retired from the State Police, and I like to think he one of the good ones.

As far as "bad-mouthing" our officers, I like to think that we are not doing that here. This is merely a thread to highlight what many would classify as unprofessional police behavior. In doing that, we are keeping the balance of power in check and are ultimately protecting ourselves.

In regards to "calling them when we are in trouble," the fact of the matter is officers are not there to prevent crime, they are there to document it, basically. When your car or home gets broken into, you call the police, they get there after the assailants flee, which is understandable because they can't be just around the corner all the time. When they do show up, they file a police report. No fingerprints get taken, and there are rarely any obvious clues that bring the perpetrators to justice, and the case goes unsolved. We can't even stop kids from tagging buildings, what makes us think that other more serious crimes are any different?

But I digress. I started this thread to highlight concerns that I had with some officers in a very specific instance. We need good officers, and we need to appreciate the good that they do for us. That said, we should not become complacent or naive and think that they are all good people and that, by virtue of their badge, they should be allowed to break the very laws they are sworn to uphold nor should they be free to intimidate law abiding citizens.

For those of you that read this and think that I was in the wrong for asking the officer to slow down, I ask you: What if it was your child that was playing in the street? There have been a rash of accidents lately in our fair city, involving officers driving without regard for our laws in incidents that were not related to them responding to a call. This very topic is to be investigated and televised on WOAI on Monday.

Lets embrace our freedom to discuss this issue, and the difference of opinions that we have. It is what makes us American. And as Americans, we have a responsibility to question those that are in power. That is what sets us apart from Castro's Cuba, and Hu Jintao's China.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,415,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
the KENS site has additional info: San Antonio police officer held in west side dispute | Latest News | KENS5.com (http://www.kens5.com/latestnews/stories/KENS20090311-SAPDOFFICERARREST.23e645ae.html - broken link)

the cop's dad beats up a guy in his 80's and the cop beats up a guy in his 60's.. the apple obviously fell in the exact same spot for these two.

if I have time, I'm going to try to find statistics that tell how many arrests there are of cops in the big cities. SA has to be at the top of that list..

Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM

35 posts, read 91,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
the KENS site has additional info: San Antonio police officer held in west side dispute | Latest News | KENS5.com (http://www.kens5.com/latestnews/stories/KENS20090311-SAPDOFFICERARREST.23e645ae.html - broken link)

the cop's dad beats up a guy in his 80's and the cop beats up a guy in his 60's.. the apple obviously fell in the exact same spot for these two.

if I have time, I'm going to try to find statistics that tell how many arrests there are of cops in the big cities. SA has to be at the top of that list..

That's ridiculous

Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM

422 posts, read 1,451,579 times
There's no doubt that those who abuse their public position should be reported.

However, I for one have had nothing but great experiences with BCSD and SAPD.

You can never have just the good, there must also exist the bad. In this case, we can help prevent the bad by reporting it.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 PM

422 posts, read 1,451,579 times
Quote:
It’s obvious you’re here just to get a reaction.

My little brother is SAPD and every now and then he tells me stories that are pretty intense. I often question why he would continue to put his life on the line? Why not get another job with his college education? But being a cop is his passion.

I hope in the future if you do need assistance my little brother responds to your call. He’s one of the nicest, friendliest guys you could meet, and perhaps he’ll change your perception of SAPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio