Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 91,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
It’s obvious you’re here just to get a reaction.

My little brother is SAPD and every now and then he tells me stories that are pretty intense. I often question why he would continue to put his life on the line? Why not get another job with his college education? But being a cop is his passion.

I hope in the future if you do need assistance my little brother responds to your call. He’s one of the nicest, friendliest guys you could meet, and perhaps he’ll change your perception of SAPD.

Good for you for putting a face to these posts. These are people we are talking about after all, and they should be regarded and respected as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,374,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
Let's be realistic, when they are out clocking people at 1100 am on a Sunday, and pull folks over for driving 75 when the speed limit just dropped from 70 to 65, they are not looking for DUIs, they are looking for cold hard cash. But that is all aside from the main issue here, I am only responding to your ridiculous insinuation.
I'm having a very hard time with the complaints about speeding tickets in THIS forum of all places. Those of you protesting speeding tickets and traffic violations must not have read the 100 other topics on the San Antonio City Data forum about how BAD drivers in SA are! Seriously....do a search and READ THEM...! When a speeding zone is changed, it's not uncommon to have more frequent speed traps for PUBLIC AWARENESS and SAFETY. Yes....as hard as it is to believe, many DRIVERS do not pay attention to SPEED LIMIT signs anyway.....and when they are changed, it's generally not noticed when regular commuting routes are habitual. Speeders hitting 85 in a 70MPH zone will still be going 85mph if it drops to 65. So yes....safety is an issue. The city is TRYING to respond to growing traffic complaints by lowering the speed zone in certain areas....and the best way to get people to take notice is through their pocketbooks. That's why fines were created. Duh! If they generate cold hard cash, more power to them. It's the drivers own fault.....NOT the police for enforcing the laws. geeeezzz.....

And what's the latest thread about driving?....oh..move out of the passing lane for the fast drivers! .....(no diss to the OP of that thread....just making a point)

Carry on......

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm having a very hard time with the complaints about speeding tickets in THIS forum of all places. Those of you protesting speeding tickets and traffic violations must not have read the 100 other topics on the San Antonio City Data forum about how BAD drivers in SA are! Seriously....do a search and READ THEM...! When a speeding zone is changed, it's not uncommon to have more frequent speed traps for PUBLIC AWARENESS and SAFETY. Yes....as hard as it is to believe, many DRIVERS do not pay attention to SPEED LIMIT signs anyway.....and when they are changed, it's generally not noticed when regular commuting routes are habitual. Speeders hitting 85 in a 70MPH zone will still be going 85mph if it drops to 65. So yes....safety is an issue. The city is TRYING to respond to growing traffic complaints by lowering the speed zone in certain areas....and the best way to get people to take notice is through their pocketbooks. That's why fines were created. Duh! If they generate cold hard cash, more power to them. It's the drivers own fault.....NOT the police for enforcing the laws. geeeezzz.....

And what's the latest thread about driving?....oh..move out of the passing lane for the fast drivers! .....(no diss to the OP of that thread....just making a point)

Carry on......

This is entirely off topic, I was wrong to even mention it in that post. If you want to discuss the validity of reducing speeds instead of employing a more rigorous driving training to create a safer driving environment, start a new thread and I will debate it with you.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
This is entirely off topic, I was wrong to even mention it in that post. If you want to discuss the validity of reducing speeds instead of employing a more rigorous driving training to create a safer driving environment, start a new thread and I will debate it with you.
Pardon me? Try backing up a few pages and take note of the others discussing speeding tickets issued by our city's finest. And yes, it is on topic....abuse of power by our local law enforcers. Isn't that the point of your OP?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Pardon me? Try backing up a few pages and take note of the others discussing speeding tickets issued by our city's finest. And yes, it is on topic....abuse of power by our local law enforcers. Isn't that the point of your OP?
I meant no offense. I realize that the direction of the thread was lost briefly, and I apologize for my role in that.

You were the one that suggested that ticketing isn't abuse of power, but now you are saying it's on topic because it is abuse of power. So how do you want it?

If you are asking me if we pay our officers to patrol our streets and ticket unsafe drivers, my answer is a resounding yes. If you are asking me if all or even the majority of speed limits are set with the sole purpose of safety, I'd say no. I have lived in two other countries and driven in several others. I have seen the difference good driver's training makes in the safety of public roads. I have driven on public roads at 140 mph legally in other countries. It is possible to do so safely, despite what the majority of Americans think.

Drivers training in other countries takes months and many hours of practice. The road laws are designed to promote safe driving and efficiency. In this city, anyone can get a license when they turn 18, without ANY training whatsoever. I know this for a fact because this is what happened with my younger brother. He took his driving test without having driven AT ALL, and passed.

The vast majority of drivers tailgate, have no idea what lane discipline is, many don't signal, and most don't realize that "yield" and "stop" signs are not the same thing.

If our officers were enforcing safety instead of merely going by what their speed gun tells them, we would have much safer roads. The density of cars in England Germany and France is much higher and yet they have a far lower accident rate. The speed limits in France are about 85mph, most of the roads in Germany are 85 mph, although there are stretches of the Autobahn that are without speed limits. Even on those stretches you still find cops, and they will pull you over for passing on the wrong side or anything else that is unsafe.

Again this entire subject is off topic as far as I am concerned. I don't think citing speeders is abuse of power, I just think it's a waste of resources in most cases.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,296,302 times
I don't like the comparison of US Americans to Europeans in any capacity because it is not the same culture, same habits, or lifestyles so its like comparing apples to oranges, there is no comparison.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I don't like the comparison of US Americans to Europeans in any capacity because it is not the same culture, same habits, or lifestyles so its like comparing apples to oranges, there is no comparison.

What are you talking about? There's no comparison in the accident rates because they are of a different culture?

You need to get out more.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,296,302 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? There's no comparison in the accident rates because they are of a different culture?

You need to get out more.
LOL:: I do get out, well not to Europe very often, but what I am getting at is that comparing accident rates and speed limits in a foreign country to the US (IMO) just isn't realistic.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I meant no offense. I realize that the direction of the thread was lost briefly, and I apologize for my role in that.

You were the one that suggested that ticketing isn't abuse of power, but now you are saying it's on topic because it is abuse of power. So how do you want it?

If you are asking me.... .
No offense taken. I'm just responding to several comments that mentioned speeding tickets. My post was a general statement regarding this discussion that you initiated about your perception of abuse of power and corruption among our police force. It is on topic for that reason....YOUR viewpoint YOUR topic.

I'm not asking you anything. I voiced my thoughts regarding a bit of hypocrisy ....some wanting it both ways. You're entitled to your opinion as am I. I'm just not sure why you are policing my comment when there are clearly several that mention speeding tickets....and other things that have veered off from your first post. No biggie....I don't really need an answer.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 PM

72 posts, read 63,064 times
so, i posted the emails for SAPD brass and County brass...did you contact them yet.

I mean if you are going to rant and rave, at least rant and rave to the right people. if they dont pay attention to you, you now have ammunition for the media to look into. its a paper trail and if you just want to claim "civil rights" violation i suggest you go through the proper channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio