Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM

78 posts, read 407,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
I talked to some natives of Mexico City and Monterrey and they told me that Cieto Lindo and Mirasol were very authentic. Other than that they said, and I quote, the rest of the mexican food here was crap.
Don't get me started on Nopalitos either. I had the cheese encheladas and they used velveta. Velveta! So wrong on so many different levels...
Velveeta?...Wha? TOTALLY wrong. P*nd*j*s!

I've noticed for the past ten years or so all the mexican restuarants in SA are Jalisco this Jalisco that. Why'd everybody start throwing that term into the title of their food business? I know it's the name of a state in Mexico. Is it because that's where the style of food originates? Anyone know? Quien sabe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 09:38 PM

6 posts, read 15,484 times
Hands down...Chachos. theres one on Huebner. has a drive thru. open 24/7. they also have another location somewhere near Los Alamos

Old 03-30-2007, 11:31 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I assure you that most Mexican-Americans would be highly offended by some of the comments posted here. Tex-Mex is really what most of the *world* thinks of when they think "Mexican food." It's the food made by Mexicans in northern Mexico and in Texas.

I have no doubt that the dishes of inner Mexico are good, but they haven't achieved the worldwide fame of northern Mexico. That's not my opinion, just a fact.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 PM

54 posts, read 249,098 times
Ozzy,

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your "facts" regarding Mexican food.

While I'd agree with you insofar as the wider popularity of some (more) southern specialties such as molle (although even molle is enjoying a growth in popularity) I've eaten Mexican food all over the contiguous US and down as far as Mexico City and Veracruz. Texas is the only region wherein I've:
a) Been unable to find shredded beef (barbacoa, al pastor, etc) finding instead the ground (picadillo) beef.
b) Found restaurants serving chili con carne over enchiladas.

These observations have led me to label the Mexican cuisine hereabouts as "Tex-Mex".

If such comments would be highly offensive to Mexican Americans (would those be Mex-Americans just in TX or all over?) then I grieve at the damage I might have inflicted but I stand by my reasoning.

Regards,
B.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm surprised you can't find barbacoa in Texas. It's sort of a Texas tradition. I've never seen a Mexican restaurant that didn't have it.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Sorry. I was referring to Mexican-Americans in and around Texas.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 PM

22 posts, read 109,209 times
Has anyone ever tried Audrey's? Only been there for lunch so don't know if
they are open for dinner. Audrey Cantu opened it about 40 yrs ago and
now her son Tony runs it. Great food, very much a locals hangout. Had their
special this week of chicken enchiladas with a mole sauce. It was wonderful!!!! They are on Camden downtown about a block off of Brooklyn.
You will see a diverse clientele, from TV reporters (from station nearby) to
cable TV repairmen. Very good but get there early as they do get busy!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 106,514 times
Yes, I've been noticing 'inconsistency' issues with some of the mexican style food restaurants. Guess it depends on which cook's night it is. The closer you are in the 'turista' areas, RiverWalk & El Mercado, the more disappointing the food. Mi Terra actually served stale chips last time I was there. I guess they think out of towners with too many margaritas cause patrons not to notice. There are some interesting offbeat haunts in 'Southtown' directly south of downtown. Try Taco Haven for excellent breakfast & lunch. Tomatillas on Broadway, most of the time is good. Pico de Gallo's, just west of El Mercado, portions & quality have gone down as of late. Papa Nachos by the HEB Dominion is excellent. Also good, Karem's (near westside), Audry's, north of downtown (lunch only), Los Barrios (Blanco & 410).

Old 04-09-2007, 04:02 PM

56 posts, read 169,413 times
Default the 2 best

Absolutely, El Chapparal in Helotes or Mamacitas win hands down -- yum!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,657 times
El Chapparal in Helotes is hands down the best Tex-Mex around San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio