Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times

Advertisements

but usually the left lane

the story of the latest cell phone talker to die is a sad one. She left behind a two year old daughter and was trying to get her high school diploma. How awful is it going to be for that girl to know that her mom died doing something so dumb? All this allegedly because of an argument with her bf. This is a good one to use for reinforcement with the kids.

Video (http://www.ksat.com/video/18950305/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,204,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
but usually the left lane

the story of the latest cell phone talker to die is a sad one. She left behind a two year old daughter and was trying to get her high school diploma. How awful is it going to be for that girl to know that her mom died doing something so dumb? All this allegedly because of an argument with her bf. This is a good one to use for reinforcement with the kids.

Video (http://www.ksat.com/video/18950305/index.html - broken link)
That really is very sad. I ALWAYS tell my daughter about driving and talking on her phone. I have my little spy here and I just asked her if her sister ever talks on the phone while she is driving and she told me no. She said that she waits til she gets where she's going. So I guess that is good news for me (but I will continue to tell her). Believe me, if she did talk on the phone, my little spy would have LOVED to tell me.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 AM

278 posts, read 693,129 times
Quote:
it was actually a Suzuki Sidekick from the mid 90's. The top speed was 97 and I had quite a large train behind me, so I pulled onto the regular 405.

and Road and Track got the DMC-12 up to 105 according to this article: DeLorean DMC-12 (http://www.autozine.org/Classiccar/html/DeLorean/DeLorean.html - broken link)
I never realized they were so underpowered and I don't even own a car that comes close to 130 HP.
not what i meant. the delorean was in Back to the Future, and at 88mph would time travel, so technically top speed was 88mph.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,321 times
further thoughts from driving in to work today:

those that drive slowly in the left lane are endangering every other driver on the road. i'll speed, but i'm not an aggressive driver. i may be agitated someone is parked in the left lane, but I won't ride your bumper or dangerously weave through traffic to get around you. the problem is that not every other driver is as patient or safety conscious as me.

there are a significant number of drivers that will create deadly situations for every driver around you just to pass you. Your entilement to the left lane is not equal to the lives of those driving around you. MOVE OVER and let the idiots pass. drive defensively. Chances are the police aren't going to catch the wreckless driving until after they have already caused a crash/injury/death.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
further thoughts from driving in to work today:

those that drive slowly in the left lane are endangering every other driver on the road. i'll speed, but i'm not an aggressive driver. i may be agitated someone is parked in the left lane, but I won't ride your bumper or dangerously weave through traffic to get around you. the problem is that not every other driver is as patient or safety conscious as me.

there are a significant number of drivers that will create deadly situations for every driver around you just to pass you. Your entilement to the left lane is not equal to the lives of those driving around you. MOVE OVER and let the idiots pass. drive defensively. Chances are the police aren't going to catch the wreckless driving until after they have already caused a crash/injury/death.

Good post.
I have three vehicles which I drive. A (very small) Mazda MX-3, a Ford F-250, and a Jeep wrangler. It is amazing how, depending on what I'm driving, I get treated differently on the road. My driving habits are the same no matter what I'm driving so it must be the vehicle I am in.

Of all my vehicles, I get the most "respect" on the road when driving my F-250. If only it got 34 mpg like the Mazda .

Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
the talking on the phone while driving population loses another one.. Cell phone linked to fatal accident (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/one_killed_in_wreck.html - broken link) and it's in a Jeep again, but this time it's a Liberty.

better they kill themselves than an innocent person and hopefully this will lead to more people thinking before yapping on the freaking phone.
City councilman Rodriguez has decided that this accident shows that San Antonio needs a citywide ban on cell phone use while driving.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,326 times
Be glad you don't live in Houston, I rather drive SA traffic

Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Be glad you don't live in Houston, I rather drive SA traffic

Amen. Not sure about Houston but I went thru Austin last Friday (on 35). I was glad to get back to SA.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
That really is very sad. I ALWAYS tell my daughter about driving and talking on her phone. I have my little spy here and I just asked her if her sister ever talks on the phone while she is driving and she told me no. She said that she waits til she gets where she's going. So I guess that is good news for me (but I will continue to tell her). Believe me, if she did talk on the phone, my little spy would have LOVED to tell me.
Good on ya, now if the other 98% of the population would hold their kids accountable..
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
not what i meant. the delorean was in Back to the Future, and at 88mph would time travel, so technically top speed was 88mph.
ahh, you got me. Need a hand whizzing over the head smiley for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post

Good post.
I have three vehicles which I drive. A (very small) Mazda MX-3, a Ford F-250, and a Jeep wrangler. It is amazing how, depending on what I'm driving, I get treated differently on the road. My driving habits are the same no matter what I'm driving so it must be the vehicle I am in.

Of all my vehicles, I get the most "respect" on the road when driving my F-250. If only it got 34 mpg like the Mazda .
I have noticed that now, especially since I modified the exhaust. People don't like big loud things in their rearview mirror
even though mine isn't even close to F-250 big, but can get loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
City councilman Rodriguez has decided that this accident shows that San Antonio needs a citywide ban on cell phone use while driving.
I agree with anything anyone says to make that happen
I don't know him and can't vote in the city, but he at least stands for one good thing.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 PM

667 posts, read 1,566,948 times
Quote:
I agree with anything anyone says to make that happen
I don't know him and can't vote in the city, but he at least stands for one good thing.
That's the first thing I have agreed with him on... I email him frequently asking for explanations for the way he votes.. but that's another story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio