Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM

796 posts, read 3,040,951 times

Advertisements

Personally I am not surprised they are closing (Sportsman's Warehouse). My experience with them is the Round Rock location. The employees had no knowledge about what they were selling, at least in the fishing section. Their customer service was a joke. My dad went to the 151 location and had similar experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 06:42 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,633,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The one at 151 never made a profit, according to the gentleman I talked to who worked there. And there problems have been going on for a long time. But the lack of ammo at Academy is probably more due to the fact that there has been a run on it and most stores are having a hard time keeping it in stock. The same is happening at WalMart.
And svg210, if the 151 SW closing is anything to go by, they probably sold all their guns ten minutes after the sale started. That store was a madhouse after the sale started...

Cheers! M2
M2, do you think the lack of ammo has anything to do with people buying ammo to take to Mexico? Have they run out of ammo along the border cities and now are buying northward?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,396,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
M2, do you think the lack of ammo has anything to do with people buying ammo to take to Mexico? Have they run out of ammo along the border cities and now are buying northward?
The citizens that believe in the fundamental right to protect themselves are worried that the Obama administration will attempt to take that freedom away.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,908,955 times
Steel

No, as WilGar said it is more the paranoia over the new administration. I have heard the same situation exists all over the country, so I doubt it has anything to do with the gunrunning to Mexico that is making the news.

And the last gun show I went to there was a vendor selling tons of brand-name ammo at WalMart prices.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,992,402 times
I heard Wal Mart & Academy have tin foil hats at 50% off right now. May wanna pick some up with your ammo.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM

65 posts, read 158,120 times
Quote:
Steel

No, as WilGar said it is more the paranoia over the new administration. I have heard the same situation exists all over the country, so I doubt it has anything to do with the gunrunning to Mexico that is making the news.

And the last gun show I went to there was a vendor selling tons of brand-name ammo at WalMart prices.

Cheers! M2
M2, is this the same Walmart that limits you to two boxes of ammo when you purchase? My recent experience at gun shows is that name brand/quality ammo prices are exorbitant. Obviously it depends on the caliber/type of ammo you are looking for. I definitely think there's a fear factor, founded or not. I personally believe in the right to bear arms and the last thing I want is that the only folks left with weapons are our government or the bad guys.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,908,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL78248 View Post
M2, is this the same Walmart that limits you to two boxes of ammo when you purchase? My recent experience at gun shows is that name brand/quality ammo prices are exorbitant. Obviously it depends on the caliber/type of ammo you are looking for. I definitely think there's a fear factor, founded or not. I personally believe in the right to bear arms and the last thing I want is that the only folks left with weapons are our government or the bad guys.
Which WalMart is that? I've bought ammo at several, and have never had any limitations placed on the amount I could buy. And at the last gun show I went to a few weeks ago, the vendor in question was selling WWB .45 ACP for $29 / 100 rounds. That is the same price that WalMart sells it at. And he had a lot of it.

There is definitely a "fear factor" going on, but I blame all sides for it. A few months ago, after the election, the gun shows had little selection. Suddenly, the prices doubled and tripled, and now there is a lot to choose from! And of course, a demand as well. The last SAXET show at the Alzafar Temple was so crowded that you could barely get to any of the tables to see what they had. Heck, it was tough even moving throughout the show. And a few buds of mine skipped it altogether as there was no place to park.

So everyone is profiting from this, and I am just glad that I had enough foresight to stock up a bit. I don't think the anti-gun legislation that some fear will actually come about, there will probably be some increase of restrictions based on the historical trends of the political party in power; but the overreaction of many is also to blame for the current situation.

And there is no stronger advocate for the Second Amendment than yours truly!

Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,490,581 times
Quote:
The one at 151 never made a profit, according to the gentleman I talked to who worked there. And there problems have been going on for a long time. But the lack of ammo at Academy is probably more due to the fact that there has been a run on it and most stores are having a hard time keeping it in stock. The same is happening at WalMart.

And svg210, if the 151 SW closing is anything to go by, they probably sold all their guns ten minutes after the sale started. That store was a madhouse after the sale started...

Cheers! M2
I know, I was there. All that was left as I approached the counter were some crappy Taurus Guns so I sadly walked away.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,605,987 times
Just saw this on twitter... Sporting goods chain to close San Antonio store | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 AM

36 posts, read 89,868 times
The last I heard was the guns would not be touched but ammo would have restrictions making it almost impossible to buy. You'll have guns but no bullets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio