U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM

10 posts, read 103,777 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am new to this forum and wanted to get anybody's insight about the differences in teaching high school vs. middle school in San Antonio, TX. I will be doing the alternative certification program through UTSA, and i hold a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering. I passed the test for 4-8 math, but I don't know if I should take the 9-12 or if I should stick to teaching middle school since I don't have any experience??? Current teachers I would love to hear your advice!
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:02 PM

16,027 posts, read 22,076,867 times
My dad is an engineer,
for some time he took a job as a high school teacher in Central Florida for about 1 year.
From the little that he told me... it sucks.
I guess kids around that age tend to think that they are adults but still act like little kids.

Only thing I recommend you,
try to make the class a little fun (as difficult as that might be)
and always be willing to spend extra time with students that have a hard time understanding, because if they fall behind, they are gonna make it harder for you to teach when they are not paying attention at all.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM

8,926 posts, read 11,061,762 times
I linked to Question for job searching SA teachers... last time. Read that thread. It's general about teaching in San Antonio, but it's the mother of all teaching threads in the SA forum.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:41 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,239,795 times
ya know that really depends on the age of kids you enjoy. That's not something anyone can tell you. I can tell you my middle schooler loves his math teacher and wishes he could teach him next year. This guy makes it fun...for example when teaching circumference he incorporated basketball and the Spurs into the lesson. Point being this is a teacher that wants to be there with 11-14 year olds.

If you think you'd like high school I would suggest taking the necessary test in case you change your mind you will have that option.

I work with middle schoolers myself and I think their are pros/cons to both age groups. Personally I miss the elementary age

Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 PM

33,328 posts, read 52,828,286 times
my son taught jr high English for 7 yrs in variety of schools in DFW area--including Highland Park and a couple of charter schools
jr high kids are just very immature and hormonal and social--even more so than high school kids--
I think to a new teacher w/o background in student teaching they would be really more of a demanding environment than high school...
they test your patience because of their immaturity on top of the other negative with teaching...
you need to be a VERY patient person in that milieu...and a very good teacher to interest them in math--which they either love or hate --but not as much as trying to flirt with the girl/boy next to them...
you need to look at what is on the agenda/curriculum of different junior high teachers in the area--
most teachers have web sites on their school sites that give their lessons for the week--
see what they are teaching
would you like to teach that---
then check out the high school math teachers--
which material appeals to you--what do you think you would feel most comfortable teaching...
TAKS grades do much TAKS prep--in most districts--if you teach a TAKS year-- you will have more pressure to succeed by having kids pass the test--vs being in a non-TAKS year and getting somewhat of a break while you learn the ropes...
TAKS years are usually driven by learning/teaching test strategies and dealing with bringing kids up to grade level--remediation--which can be pretty boring if you have a group of kids who are pretty much capable--it just all depends on the district/school/principal/class as to how much flexibility and creativity you might have and how much will just be rote discimination of information...

if you are so totally bored with basic math--a lot of that happens in jr high--kids don't know math facts...
high school has higher math but there are also remedial math classes happening there as well...

it is never bad to be certified for all grade levels--math and science teachers are usually ones that get job offers to teach in order to complete their alt cert--but if you can pass the secondary test you would be doubling your chances of getting an intern spot...
do you think it is possible that you could also pass a test for the elective in my school that was architectural drafting--I don't know what that would consist of--
if so--would take that test as well--I know it costs money to do that--just thinking of being able to offer other options to principals...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,870,823 times
I can't offer much help with regard to math education, but you might find plenty of answers in the Education forum.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 103,777 times
thanks so much for your responses. I take my math 8-12 test on monday and hope i pass it the first time around. I enjoy those subjects better.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:06 PM

5,142 posts, read 12,243,277 times
Middle School is nice because you can get to them before the math anxiety kick in for some of the students. Either way (middle or high school), you've got TAKS pressures. I have a friend who's a teacher but she's in bilingual elementary education.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:47 PM

33,328 posts, read 52,828,286 times
for kids who struggle with math--anxiety kicks in with second grade or sooner

Old 01-29-2011, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 8,610 times
i want to take a senior high school math test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio